Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Look at "Mission Impossible" series. It is called that way because it is a nudge more possible than impossible. As opposed to "Breezing Through Missions" hypothetical franchise.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Most action heroes spend lots of time having to overcome difficulties or having to get the **** out of somewhere. So no, most action movies don't have this problem.
I don't see how you can defend basic action films where every bad guy misses the hero (James Bond, Any Arnold Movie, Any Stallone, Any Seagal) and take a swipe at John Wick. John Wick is a trained killer, he kills with precision and quickness. The film is shot with wide steady cameras instead of the Jason Bourne shaky cam trying to hide bad choreography. Bourne style doesn't put me in the action, it distracts from it. Wick was different and slick, the camera movement reflected the character.

Wick isn't invincible, he gets hit. He wears a vest, everyone else I mentioned does not, those bullets magically miss. Guess what? Wick gets captured. He doesn't magically get out himself, he needs help, enter Dafoe.

If you don't like the film, that's one thing. But to say it relies on out tired action films cliche is just wrong. It takes a simple premise and made it fun to watch. Clearly people are responding to it as the sequel more than double the opening weekend gross.

Superhero films are tired and cliche, don't get me wrong, I enjoy them too...but I'll take a John Wick style action flick over Superhero any day.

Suspect's Reviews

I think that The Wrestler was heavily inspired by Beyond The Mat and Jake The Snake. In that you see that these guys can often never give up on performing this form of entertainment look at what guys like Terry Funk put themselves though. I say who are we to judge these people though they may well be self destructive in the end but at least they do what they want with their lives and it does seem to be one they love, what is that compared to living what we see as a normal life which is probably be one that they would ultimately be unhappy in.
Yes, we should do what we are called for and persevere in it, so long as we take care of our kids. Other than that, I'm fine with that.

I need to see "John Wick 2". People say it has improved on the original. It will either prove my point or shut me up.

Regarding steady camera and fight/shootout choreography- neither provides automatic advantage in regards to cinematic immersion. For example "Man on Fire" and "Saw" franchise are some of worst examples of visual and sound editing out there. Of course there are plenty shaky cam fight scenes that make it impossible to see or perceive what is happening. On the other hand watching "Kill Bill 2" Uma Thurman on smooth cam kill 20 ninjas (assumingly well trained ones) puts me out of it too. I much preferred "The Hateful Eight" for trash talking for 3 hours (substance) over either of two "Kill Bills" (style).

Anywho, since when is watching shootouts is more like watching ballet as opposed to crapping ones pants over who gets killed next.

Moonlight (2016)

8/10

I've been wanting to watch this movie ever since it first came out and finally had the chance to. The film is about a guy named Chiron and his personal struggles dealing with his sexuality in a hostile environment. It's divided into three parts, his childhood, teenage years and then adulthood. The plot is simple but never boring. It's a beautifully shot and very well made film. And I gotta say, I'm glad it beat La La Land for Best Picture.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Anywho, since when is watching shootouts is more like watching ballet as opposed to crapping ones pants over who gets killed next.
Maybe that's the intention. Change it up a bit, make it operatic.

I imagine John Wick 2 is more of the same, on a bigger level.

I saw this long time ago. This was a great film. Did you get a good copy of it? Was the image enhanced?
Yeah it was a good copy. I'm not sure what you mean by was the image enhanced? Do you mean was it better quality than the picture i used in my post, or do you mean was it enhanced from how it was originally? If it's the former then yeah it was better quality that was just a random picture i found, if it's the latter i couldn't tell you that was the first time i watched it.

Yeah it was a good copy. I'm not sure what you mean by was the image enhanced? Do you mean was it better quality than the picture i used in my post, or do you mean was it enhanced from how it was originally? If it's the former then yeah it was better quality that was just a random picture i found, if it's the latter i couldn't tell you that was the first time i watched it.
I meant enhanced from how it was originally. Somehow I think there is a correlation with Five Easy Pieces. I have to re-watch this to see the similarities.

I meant enhanced from how it was originally. Somehow I think there is a correlation with Five Easy Pieces. I have to re-watch this to see the similarities.
Yeah i couldn't tell you. That was the first time i saw it, only first heard of it a few months back. Thought it was pretty great, especially the second half, so is Five Easy Pieces.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Accidentally I'm planning to catch red cliff this week. Already seen the excerpt years ago from either dvd or tv aired but I never got the chance/have mood to finish thing up completely for I and II
It actually took me a while to watch this condensed version because I had wanted to see the two movies when they came out and they were actually at the Detroit Institute of Art's movie theater (the first on Saturday and the second on Sunday) and I was soooo p!ssed at myself for missing them both when I had the chance - on a big screen -IN an old time movie theater!! ARRGGH lol

Borgman (Alex van Warmerdam, 2013)

I'm not even remotely sure what it means, but it kept my attention whether it deserved it or not. Reminds me of Yorgos Lanthimos' work though more concerned with tone and powerful images than rigid and meaningful rules. Also, there are a few subtle reference's to Michael Haneke's The Seventh Continent which similarly documented the end of nuclear family.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Naked (Mike Leigh, 1993)

The problem with watching so many good movies is that after a while, it becomes very hard to be awed. And then, every once in a while, comes a movie that just does it. When that happens, I know I've witnessed something great.

I can't explain how much this has resonated in me. I'm going through a particularly bad time at the moment, and this just made me face some things I wasn't very keen on facing.
The script is just gold, extremely quotable, philosophical and, most of all, depressing. The acting by David Thewlis is fantastic and the soundtrack and cinematography are haunting. I need to wait a bit more before writing something more about this, maybe I'll do a review in a couple of weeks.

T-Men (1947)

From the top 100 noirs list, this is described as a semidocumentary. Besides a good amount of narration, I thought the style was pretty traditional. T-Men are special agents who are trying to bust some counterfeiters. Visually, it is very dark giving it a gritty and realistic feel. Besides it's look and a fairly shocking scene towards the end, I thought it was average.

Welcome to the human race...
Under the Shadow -

As far as Kermode recs go, this one definitely makes up for Tale of Tales.

The last movie I watched was "HULK", certainly for the 22 time, minimum.

I actually owned the Hulk#1 comic book. But unfortunately (as far as this story is concerned) had Italian parents, My mom threw away all my comics and baseball cards.

I'm a HULK fan, and I believe Ang Lee portrayed the Hulk as I Imagined the Hulk to be.

And Ang Lee's construction of the movie was excellent.

I enjoy short multi-screened moments in a film. It's liable to keep your mind alive while watching watching a film.

The Revenant (rewatch)

Enjoyed this even more the second time round, love the gorgeous cinematography and its spirituality

"The Revenant is alive. Its surface is fire and blood, hair and mud, but its animating spark is longing and love. The Revenant is about spirits yearning to be holy and others lost to pride. The Revenant is about the breath God shared with us that we now share with the world and about the ways we corrupt that breath when we’re consumed from the inside by the hellfire of greed. The Revenant is a gasp, an ache, a prayer"

5/5

The Son
+

There's spoilers in this so don't read if you haven't seen it.

Neither this film or The Dardenne's have been on my radar really, i only ended up watching this because i read some best of the 2000's list and i read the premiseof this which sounded really intriguing. A man takes on the boy who strangled his son as an apprentice, sounded like it could be a great Character/Psychological study. I think it was somewhat, the problem was that i found it hard to connect to everything which i think was at least partially due to me knowing the premise, funny since i wouldn't have watched it otherwise. You don't find out the boy is the one who killed his son or that his son is dead until around a half hour in, up to that point Olivier has been intently watching and following him, obviously i knew the reason for that already so it failed to grip me. I doubt this would've been a favourite if i hadn't known but i do think i would have liked it more. Another thing is i don't really get how this could possibly happen.I get that Francis wouldn't know Olivier was the father but how on earth would these connections not be made by the training center, ignoring the trauma Olivier could've possibly encountered having to watch the murderer of his son living his life there's also the possibility that Olivier would try and get revenge. It's very hard to swallow but something i tried to put to the back of my mind. The film had some dull parts certainly, but also interestingg ones; i really liked the scene when he gives Francis a lift and Magali tries to see him. The film is pretty much as straightforward as they come but it's still pretty weird. In a film like this i'd expect there to be some tension with the possibility of Olivier trying to harm him always present, but it's absolutely not at no time did i think he was entertaining these thoughts. An odd approach that i do appreciate as it felt a bit different. There was some other stuff that showed he hadn't forgiven him and still held comtempt like him abruptly stopping his car to not allow him to sleep and him not paying for his pastry at the bakery. The moment he told him it was his son was great, there wasn't long left in the film and i was starting to think he wouldn't then he sprung it on him at the most random moment. The ending was pretty much how it had to be as well, a big dramatic Olivier breaking down scene wouldn't have suited the film at all.

It had a realistic feel which i appreciated but there was even some stuff there that i didn't like much. For example there's loads of the camera following Olivier from behind walking about or whatever, got pretty annoying. However, i did like him being filmed from the side or when he turned back towards the camera. I know at the very least as an actor you need to act like there's not a camera there so that shouldn't be something actors are praised for, but i dunno there was something about Olivier being followed from behind then abruptly turning and walking directly toward the camera before overtaking it and being filmed from behind again that felt very well done on his part, his reactions felt very realistic and his resolve to keep up his stonyfaced demeanor was outstanding. He wasn't emotionless or anything, to me he brought across fairly subtle touches that told you he was concerned or whatever and he made me wonder constantly what he was thinking. Amazing performance, easily the best thing about the film. I looked him up after this and he seems to be a Dardenne regular so he'd be the thing that would draw me into checking out more of their stuff. In the end an interesting film but i found parts of it dull and felt that knowing what happened going in hurt my viewing, the rating is mainly for Olivier Gourmet's performance.