The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I loved Amelie but haven’t gone back to it so it was never really in contention for my list. I need to rewatch.

I thought Passion would be top ten, even without my help, because I don’t get the hype. I don’t think it’s that interesting visually and a silent movie should never leave me wishing I read lips. This is a dialogue driven silent film, that’s not a good combination.

If I die tonight, investigate Minio

I saw Amelie for the first time a couple of years ago and, although I liked it, it didn't really blew me away. Charming, fun, visually striking, but not much else.

I saw The Passion of Joan of Arc earlier this year (here's my review). Loved it, but for some reason I didn't put it on my list, and I'm here trying to figure out why. Anyway, I'm glad it made it, it's a visual and emotional treat anchored by Falconetti's performance.

My Summary:

Seen: 36/84
My list: 9/25

My List  

I wonder if Parasite will make this list. Initially, I thought it would, but it's either going to place higher than I expected or not appear at all.

Looks like A Separation is out
I think you're right.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I wonder if Parasite will make this list. Initially, I thought it would, but it's either going to place higher than I expected or not appear at all.
I'm positive it will make it.

A Yippee day again for me with The Passion Of Joan Of Arc appearing from my personal ballot. Amélie is a delightful movie and was under consideration but sadly didn't quite make my list.

Seen: 63/84 (Own: 38/84)

Faildictions ((バージョン 1.01):
16. L'avventura (1960)
15. Ningen no jôken [The Human Condition III: A Soldier's Prayer] (1961)

By the way, Carl Theodor Dreyer joins the "Repeating Directors" Club with Vampyr and Passion...

Passion of Joan of Arc is a perfect statement against religious hypocrisy. As a long-time Christian, I've encountered this terrible behavior before. Imagine the conversations I've had about how Ozzy prayers to God before every show. Joan of Arc was my number 15.

If I had voted for a Dreyer film, it would have been Day of Wrath.
Me too! We agree on that and An Autumn Afternoon > Late Spring. Cool.

On that note, nothing from my list since La dolce vita. But still all quality on this list.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm bored. I want to rewatch some Ozu.

Find me some real-life person to rewatch Ozu films with?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm bored. I want to rewatch some Ozu.

Find me some real-life person to rewatch Ozu films with?
Ozu is the man but admittedly I bet I never watch an Ozu film with somebody ever in my life. Good point.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Amelie is a cute movie. Overrated, but it seems all newer foreign movies are overrated because the masses would rather die than watch a black-and-white movie.. 7/10

I'm not sure if I saw "Joan of Arc" or if I'm confusing that with Bresson's version, but the one I saw consisted mostly of a script that kept saying, "I believe in god, I believe in god" and it bored the **** out of me.

I'm not sure if I saw "Joan of Arc" or if I'm confusing that with Bresson's version, but the one I saw consisted mostly of a script that kept saying, "I believe in god, I believe in god" and it bored the **** out of me.

Amelie is a cute movie. Overrated, but it seems all newer foreign movies are overrated because the masses would rather die than watch a black-and-white movie.. 7/10
The masses didn’t populate this list, mofo did. The masses aren’t even going to watch Amelie, but mofo will. This list is proof positive that mofos wouldn’t rather die than watch black and white.

I hope when I comment about movies I don’t care for I never come across as a gatekeeper of some kind of true taste.

If I had voted for a Dreyer film, it would have been Day of Wrath.

If I had seen it before voting it would have been high up on my ballot.