The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Liked Wings of Desire but don’t remember it well at this point. Paris, Texas is THE Wenders for me.

Metropolis is my favorite silent. Really astonishing that a silent can engage me for three hours. Looks so cool, and it’s a fun story. I didn’t vote for any silents. If I had, this would have been the one. Great movie.
Wings is absolutely worth your time for a rewatch. Amazing film.

I love Paris, Texas too (though not quite as much) and if it were eligible it might have made my list.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Wings of Desire is a film I've seen numerous times, first at San Jose's Camera One. It has beautiful cinematography, very poignant moments, a great Bruno Ganz performance and a delightful turn by Peter Falk, ostensibly playing himself. Knowing me, I had lots of problems with it, but I've grown to like it better.

Metropolis could have easily been in my Top Ten, but I decided some of my other faves, which apparently are not going to show, needed the votes more. Please bear with me if you've seen this too many times.

I finally got around to watching this again, this time with Sarah. I'm glad I did. If you have the time and just let it wash over you (preferably the restored version with clean, clear subritles), it moves along very quickly. On the other hand, it does seem to cram in a whole lotta plot into one film, but somehow it mostly resolves itself at the end.

First off, the main reasons for watching Metropolis are the super sets, special effects and all the elements of the production design. Sometimes the camerawork appears hand-held, especially in closeups of some of the "action scenes". Then again, much as his fellow countryman F.W. Murnau did in his American film Sunrise. Lang uses all kinds of photo and editing trickery to incorporate paranoia and disorientation; one of my fave of these is the shot of all the eyes superimposed together when the rich young men of the upper world are seduced by the "robotic" Maria and begin to fight and kill each other over her and her charms. That eye shot certainly reminded me of some of Dali's later work in films. There are so many spectacular shots, sets and effects that one could write a book detailing the creation and subliminal effect of each one, but this is not the place for that, although it would be interesting to hear some of other viewer's favorite visual flourishes.
As far as plot points go, maybe I can list a few and see what people think of each one and how they may help/hinder the overall film and what it's trying to accomplish.

1. Metropolis is a huge city where the rich and powerful have a wonderful life consisting mostly of modern technology and entertainment while the workers live underground as almost slaves and never even see the light of day. What I would like to know is whether Metropolis is supposed to be representative of an entire futuristic world, an anomoly or something parents tell their children as a bedtime story beginning with "Once upon a time... ".

2. There is a saintly woman named Maria (Brigitte Helm) who tries to pick up the spirits of the workers by telling them that a Mediator will come one day to reconcile the Hands (the workers) with the Head [the founder of Metropolis, Joh Frederson (Alfred Abel)]. Maria speaks to people in front of a group of crosses and attracts Joh's son Freder (Gustav Fröhlich) who decides that he could be the Mediator. I'm not especially up on my German, but Joh sure seems like John, so we could have the characters of John and Mary somehow coming together to "create" a Mediator named Freder, which sounds a lot like "Freedom".

3. Joh has a rival in the character of a "mad scientist" named Rotwang (Rudolf Klein-Rogge, Dr. Mabuse himself). The scientist seems similar to both Dr. Frankenstein and Dr. Strangelove. The reason Rotwang and Joh are rivals dates back to the fact that they both loved the same woman, Hel, who married Joh but died giving birth to Freder. Rotwang invents a robot which can appear human and kidnaps Maria to turn this robot into a Maria who will incite the masses.

4. The world of the workers and the way in which Joh interracts with it seems to have also inspired Charles Chaplin's use of technology and class struggle in Modern Times. I even see a strong resemblance between the appearance of the leader of Chaplin's factory and Joh Frederson. This also brings me to the concept of how the technology works in the utopian upper part of the city. Near the end, after the workers have destroyed the heart machine and power is shut off above ground, we see all the ground transportation piled up in what appears to be a freeway. We also see none of the planes and other flying vehicles in the air. This implies that all modes of transportation above ground run due to the Heart Machine and not due to something resembling gasoline.

5. The final third of the film turns into something resembling a disaster flick when the bottom levels flood and all the workers' children have to be saved by Freder, Maria and Josaphat (Theodor Loos), a man in the employ of Joh who is also Freder's good friend. Ultimately, it turns the entire film into a story about Family and how all the characters seem to believe that it's the most important thing in their lives, even if they'd occasionally rather wreak destruction, burn "witches" and have wild dancing revels while doing so.

6. I've left out many other points which almost seem superfluous but are included in the film. These include the relationship of 11811 [Georgy] (Erwin Biswanger), a worker, with Freder, and the way the Thin Man (Fritz Rasp) spies on Freder and intercepts Georgy. Both the characters of Georgy and the Thin Man were previously only discussed in intertitles because they were part of the lost footage, but now with the restoration, what they have to do with the film is much clearer. They may be incidental characters but they help to flesh out themes of friendship and mistrust.

I realize that this is a superficial summary of some of the content of Metropolis, but I'm going to leave it at this for now since I'm still waiting for others to discuss it in more detailed or specific terms.

Metropolis was my #1. Not such a surprise since it was my #2 on my top 100 list.

Unfortunately, I probably had a disproportionate number of silent films on my list this time, something like 5?, and it looks like all of two will show. I don't really understand the controversy of the language aspect. The more important element is the cultural product, especially dealing with something as distinct as German Expressionaism or Soviet Montage. In fact, it's very interesting to see the national distinctions at a time when the fundamental syntax of cinema was being established. I wish I could find room here for the likes of Cabiria or Page of Madness or Caligari, because I'm a nerd. I guess there's already been a silent-era list made. I have an opposite of recency bias. I like the primordial stuff.

None of the other of the last ten were from my list. I suppose my Kar-Wai won't make it, but I'm happy to see him get two slots anyway. Now down to the nitty. I will tenderly smooch my Czech picks to prepare them for their rejection.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

In the Mood for Love is a beautiful, sensual film. And a film I desperately need to rewatch. After my first watch of Wong Kar-wai's filmography, I thought Happy Together was my favorite, but I think this might change on a rewatch. I still remember a lot about this film even though I watched it 9 years ago! It's a film about two people who stand together but look in different directions. Their hearts get close, but they are separated by a wall of silence. And when the silence is finally broken, it's too late. A secret whispered into a carved hole covered with mud becomes eternal. But life isn't. This is a film about two people waiting for the rain to stop falling.

Fun Fact: Yumeji's Theme is well... a theme from Seijun Suzuki's Yumeji. Heavily underused in Suzuki's film, really put to great use here.
Fun Fact 2: Christopher Doyle's role in the look of this film is often overstated. Mark Lee Ping Bin is just as much a cinematographer of this masterpiece.
Fun Fact 3: We never see the faces of the duo's spouses.

Wild Stawberries is one of some dozen Bergman masterpieces. It's really hard to rank the filmography of such a master so let's just say it's as incredible as any other highest-rated Bergman.

Fun Fact: Victor Sjöström plays the protagonist of this film. Sjöström is one of the greatest Swedish filmmakers of all time.

Wings of Desire is yet another masterpiece in this bunch. It's just so moving and poetic! Also, Nick Cave. Watch the sequel, Faraway, So Close!. It's incredible, too.

Fun Fact: My mum prefers the remake with Nic Cage. I guess only one person can have a good taste in my family!

Metropolis is a masterpiece, but it's not the best silent film. It's not the best film directed by Fritz Lang either. But it's a masterpiece all the same. How the hell did the screenwriter for this, Fritz Lang's wife, become a Nazi?! Gotta love the Rahmenhandlung. Oh, we speak German, don't we? "Mittler zwischen Hirn und Händen muss das Herz sein!"

Fun Fact: No matter how you look at it, it's a blockbuster. The most expensive film up to its release. Sorry, you tried to be a hipster but ended up loving a blockbuster.

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Fun Fact: No matter how you look at it, it's a blockbuster. The most expensive film up to its release. Sorry, you tried to be a hipster but ended up loving a blockbuster.

I'm glad that I'm not a hipster enough to have considered it.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
36/70

-La Strada - 10/10
-The Battle of Algiers - 10/10
-Wild Strawberries - 10/10 - Nice self-reflecting movie. One of Bergman's best.
-Le Trou - 9/10
-The 400 Blows - 8.5/10
-Knife In The Water - 8.5/10
-A Man Escaped - 8/10
-Nights of Cabiria - 8/10
-Sundays & Cybele - 8/10
-Close-Up- 8/10 -
-Pather Panchali- 8/10
-Tokyo Story - 8/10
-Contempt - 8/10
-Wings of Desire - 8/10
-Harakari - 7.5/10
-Red Desert - 7.5/10
-Le Cercle Rouge - 7.5/10
-Rome, Open City - 7.5/10
-Shoplifters - 7/10
-Léon Morin, Priest - 7/10
-Bob Le Flambeur - 7/10
-Rififi - 7/10
-The Virgin Spring -7/10
-Run Lola Run - 7/10
-Le Samourai - 7/10
-The Conformist - 7/10
-The Celebration- 7/10
-The Lives of Others - 7/10.
-Au Revoir les Enfants - 6.5/10
-Last Year At Marienbad - 6/10
-Roma - 6/10
-Z - 6/10
-Army of Shadows - 5/10
-The Mirror - 5/10
-Fitzcarraldo - 5/10
-Le Haine - 4/10

They're all masterpieces. Nine thumbs up!

They really are, though. Neither made my list but I'm kind of surprised I didn't include at least Metropolis.

Also I'm looking forward to raul's final 30 predictions so I can steal from him and use it as a base to make my own.

Also, did someone say France countdown, or Japan countdown? Or maybe Europe countdown? And so on. Yes I just did.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I'm surprised to see Wings of Desire so high up and even at all. It did rank high on my documentary ballot.

Metropolis is great but not a movie with a whole lot of repeat watch value to me.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
They're all masterpieces. Nine thumbs up!

They really are, though. Neither made my list but I'm kind of surprised I didn't include at least Metropolis.

Also I'm looking forward to raul's final 30 predictions so I can steal from him and use it as a base to make my own.

Also, did someone say France countdown, or Japan countdown? Or maybe Europe countdown? And so on. Yes I just did.
I remember balking at certain specific country countdowns, but after seeing (or expecting) big misses, I'd probably be all for some of them.

I'm surprised to see Wings of Desire so high up and even at all. It did rank high on my documentary ballot.
Me too, and what? You thinking of a different flick?

Me too, and what? You thinking of a different flick?
Yea I probably was thinking of My Winnipeg, but I watched Wings of Desire for some reason other than choosing it myself. A HoF maybe? Not sure but it was very good.

Metropolis...I've seen this three times now and each time they had found more of the lost footage...Next time I watch it, it'll be 4 hours long Great film but not on my ballot.

Wings of Desire...I didn't care for this when it was in an HoF, however I should probably see it again as I could see greatness, I just couldn't taste it.

I forgot the opening line.
Ahh, I didn't know silent films were included in this. If so The Passion of Joan of Arc (one of the greatest films of all time) would have made my list. Or maybe I would have put silent films aside. I don't know. I would have felt compelled to rewatch Battleship Potemkin either way.

Metropolis is the 19th film on this list I've seen, and is of course amazing. If a big movie watcher told me they hadn't seen it I'd look at them a bit funny.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Wings of Desire because it was nominated in a HoF and it was getting good reviews, and it was one of my favorite movies that I watched for this countdown. It made it all the way up to #3 on my list.

I didn't know that silent movies were eligible for this countdown, so Metropolis had no chance to make my list, but I've seen it. It's a movie that I respect more than I like, but that might be because I don't really connect well with silent movies.

My list so far:
3. Wings of Desire (1987)
4. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)
5. High and Low (1963)
6. Run Lola Run (1998)
15. Sundays and Cybele (1962)
23. Diabolique (1955)
25. Ivan Vasilyevich Changes His Profession (1973)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Wings of Desire

An amusing observation: The same actor who played Damiel, an angel, would later play Hitler in Downfall. . . funny how things come around.

When I saw this, I found myself very much like the angels; I observed from the first moments and assessed without judgment as I saw Damiel, above, looking down. The children who could see him. Then all the thoughts. And, on occasion, the gentle hand that eased. Without actually interfering. Rather liked that aspect.

I also enjoyed how there were so many of them instead of simply one or two. And the fact that they sort of perched nearby. Also, since they listened to thoughts, that you would find them mostly at a library than anywhere else.
It was those nuances that really kept my attention while the movie quietly ambled away.

A favorite of mine was how Peter Falk was an ex-angel and when he first "feels" Damiel nearby, he tells him about sensations. About rubbing hands together when it's cold and such. Then when they meet, and he lets him in on the fact. Really enjoyed that.

Along with the moments of color. Expressing the FULL effect of being human instead of the minimal sensation of listening in. It really brought it home, going from one to the other.

I understand how such a movie can be slow for many; at times, it did a little for me, but still, overall, there was a contemplative and serene feel to this fantastical forage.

Metropolis

Flash Card: One man's hymn of praise became other men's curses

It's pretty easy to see why Metropolis is in the echelon of iconic films that, while not everyone has seen, they do know of or have heard of it.
Fritz Lang went all out when creating and filming this. From the 37,000 extras to the futuristic details in the various rooms and the city-scape,

creating something that would outlast his own lifetime.

With the dark, zombie-like walk into work (the machines) as we, along with Freder, discover what dismal existence is meted out to the workers to attain the utopia that he and his fellow upper citizens enjoy, to the eventual uprising; we are hooked and remain so.

While I did find Freder a bit on the lukewarm side, several others really shined in this film.
Fritz Rasp's Thin Man had such a great foreboding; I easily saw him as inspiration for countless long-limbed enforcers since.
Rudolf Klein-Rogge DID get a bit over the top as the Inventor; his mad scientist got a little comic bookish at times, he still was a great sight to behold.
And, of course, Brigette Helm was truly phenomenal, ESPECIALLY when playing the Machine Man impersonating Maria with such robotic mischief.

I absolutely loved those scenes as she roused and incited the crowds into rioting.

A pretty extraordinary film and I'm thrilled to see the extended, polished rendition of this film.
Movies Seen: 35 of 70 (50.0%)
1. Severely doubt it
2. Still possible

3. Shoplifters (2018) #72
4. Rome, Open City (1945) #93
5. Rififi (1955) #76
6. Army of Shadows (1969) #90
7. Definitely
8. Yojimbo (1961) #42
9. Quite possible
10. Not gonna happen

11. Harakiri (1962) #37