Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Daredevil 2015

After binge watching it over two days it certainly felt like I was watching an incredibly long movie.

I had very low expectations after Marvel's other small screen outings but Daredevil is something different entirely. High production values, excellent cast and unexpected plot twists.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Quien sabe? a.k.a. A Bullet for the general (1966)

At least 4 spaghetti western will definitely make my 60's list and I wanted to watch a last one before I send my list in. A Bullet for the General is a very solid one, but not particularly memorable. The story is enjoyable and it never feels too long, due to a very good pacing. However, it's equal to dozens of other westerns... The last 30 minutes are quite good though. Gian Maria Volonté and Klaus Kinski are 2 actors I enjoy very much so it was good to see them here. Bacalov is also a composer who I like very much, though he's not Morricone, and his soundtrack here has some very good moments.
A good film overall, though not worthy to make the Top movies of the decade.

I just watched Before Sunrise for the first time it was simply amazing and has to be given an A

Care for some gopher?
Three Ages (USA, 1923, Buster Keaton/ Edward F. Cline) -

Steamboat Bill, Jr. (USA, 1928, Buster Keaton/Charles Reisner) -

Care for some gopher?
Rocco e i suoi fratelli (I/F, 1960, Luchino Visconti) -
+

I liked this movie quite a bit. Could have been a little shorter, though.

Kuroneko (1968)

Japanese horror in which a mother and her daughter-in-law are living alone after the son/husband is taken away to fight in battle. Samurai raid the women's home, raping and killing them, and burning down their hut. They return as ghosts in human form, with a vow to the god of evil to drink the blood of every samurai. Complications arrive when the son/husband returns, now a respected samurai himself. This movie is not especially scary or shocking, but it's tragic and very creepy. It also has great atmosphere and cinematography.

Sorry for my bad English :p
the gold rush 1925

not my favorite chaplin , not even in the top 3 , but that doesn't mean it's not good , not at all !
funny , entertaining , clever ; those are the 3 words that discribe perfectly the film.

the general 1926 ( buster keaton )

the first buster keaton movie that i've watched , and it was a great start , i really enjoyed it.

Metropolis 1927 ( fritz lang )

Wow ! what an epic masterpiece !
the story , the atmosphere , the cinematography , everything was way ahead of its time !
every science fiction movie that came after owes a LOT to this movie.

its the first fritz lang that i've seen , and i cant wait for watching more like M..

Pandora's box 1929 ( G.W. Pabst )

i found this movie a little bit boring at some times when i was watching it , but its a nice movie overall with an intresting idea but i think that it could've been better
i really loved the ending though..

The passion of joan of arc 1928 ( Carl Theodor Dreyer )

i'm not Christian , i'm not interested in Christianism , so i didn't find the story intesting for my taste.
but technically speaking its very well done , especially editing and camera movements that i found brilliant for a 20s movie !
and the acting by Maria Falconetti was iconic !

Bit of a slow-burner with a strange plot. The performances were great and the cinematography was excellent - capturing to essence of gritty, inner city life. Tom Hardy was especially good as the nice guy barman with a tainted past. It's obvious that this film was written by the author of Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone as it has the same kind of structure - different pieces slowly coming together to a surprise ending. Not that the ending wasn't effective, I just didn't like the route the film took in places to get there.

I found James Gandolfini's character hilarious at times, especially during the scene when he runs the guy over in his car, and the way he runs way afterwards had me splitting my sides. The Chechen gangsters' brief appearances were quite funny as well, I thought. The use of the dog as a plot device was interesting if a little strange, but it was really cute so what the hell. If anything, The Drop proves how versatile an actor Tom Hardy is. The English Joaquin Phoenix if you will.

The Immigrant (2013)....this really looked great, I believed I was actually looking at the poor immigrant sections of New York city. Marion Cotillard and Joaquin Phoenix were both very dynamic. I have no complaints but the story wasn't the one I wanted to see, but still it was skillfully written.

I think a lot of people would like this one.

It visually creates the mind in a very accessible minimalist way, but then keeps pulling out more and more stuff as the movie goes. It's really funny too and spring loaded with a lot of little clever nods. It's hard for me to talk about it because I don't want to spoil anything, but I enjoyed it even more than Mad Max, definitely worth the 8 bucks and the trip to the theater.

Jurassic World(2015)

I finally went to see it about 6 hours ago and I just got to my computer. I don't really like getting too deep into reviews when I do them, I usually type not even a paragraph but I've been waiting 14 years to see this. First off I want to get out of the way that this is the best sequel to Jurassic Park IMO. Hands down.Although I really do like The Lost World too, but this movie was something I was always interested in seeing. A fully functional opened park.

Here are my pros and cons for this movie: *CONTAINS SPOILERS*
Pros:
WARNING: "Contains spoilers for JW" spoilers below
1. Dinosaur action - fully entertaining
2. The Final battle with the T-Rex & Raptor vs The I-Rex - I loved it, I was literally shaking with excitement during the scene when Claire leads the T-Rex out. For a second I did believe that the T-Rex might bite it, as I thought all the raptors were dead but one seemed to survive somehow after I just watched the I-Rex whoop all their asses.
3. The 1 Animatronic - The scene with the dying sauropod for some weird reason was getting a lot of hate, but I thought it was done well.
4. The Acting - It was a little better than I was expecting it to be. Not saying it was Oscar worthy at all but a lot of the acting scenes in the trailer that I feared were gonna be bad seemed to either be edited and/or were edited really weird in the trailer but in the final cut of the movie weren't as bad so that was a sigh of relief, but tbh there were a lot of cheesy acting scenes as well, but I wasn't going to see this movie for the acting lol
5. The Indominus Rex - Was a pretty good villain dino. I suspect that this isn't the last we'll see of a I-Rex as Wu ran(flew) off with other embryos and InGen came in and pretty much strip mined the place.
6. All the nods to the Original - I loved them all and I'm pretty sure I noticed them all, I might have missed a couple. I will be picking it up on dvd once it is out so I'll re-watch it to see if I can spot more nods.
7. CGI - A lot better than I was expecting as well, some shots weren't the greatest but overall it was good.
8. Henry Wu having a bigger role in this film - The one con I have about the first JP movie was that Wu had barely any role in the film at all aside from giving some info at the beginning of the film. It was nice to see Henry Wu have a bigger role. I think B.D. Wong is an underused and underated actor as well and it is nice to see we may have our villain now set up for future JW movies (This film is making bank at the box office, sequels are being made whether we want them or not)

Cons:
WARNING: "Spoilers for JW" spoilers below
1. Hoskins' death - It seemed so forced. One minute Owen, Claire and the boys are in the lab with a whole bunch of soldiers and Hoskins but the one raptor ignores Owen, Claire, the boys, and all the other soldiers and goes straight for Hoskins. It felt really out of place and I wish they would have done it better.
2. The Acting - I know I put this for the pro as well but this is because despite some of the scenes from the trailers turning out better in the actual movie there were many new scenes that I saw within the movie itself that weren't in the trailer that caused some problems for me. There was plenty of cheesy dialogue in this movie and that just took me out of the movie sometimes, but it didn't ruin the movie for me as a whole.
3. The I-Rex's death - I know it looked cool but I was not satisfied with the mosasaurus getting the last punch(chomp). I was hoping that Rexy would be getting the kill shot and I was a little disappointed that the T-Rex was pretty much just a distraction most of that final scene instead of being the driving force to defeat the I-Rex, it's like the T-Rex can't beat anybody on its own in these movies anymore.
4. No little Cameos from any of the original main cast in person aside from Wu - I knew none of the originals were gonna play a huge part in this movie and I was fine with that, but I was hoping for a little something. There is a brief shot in the command center at the bottom of the screen when Jake Johnson's character is talking to the other women about her having a boyfriend and the shot pans out to show books on one of the desks in front of them and it shows Malcolm's book and it actually shows Malcolm on the back of the book posing, it's a little blurry but you can see him and tell its him. I liked that, but it would of been nice to have a little scene on a tv broadcast or something. That's just the die hard JP fan in me talking lol. Neill and Goldblum are getting up there in age and I'd love to see one of them reprise their role one last time even in a small cameo in a future film would satisfy me immensely.
5. Jimmy Fallon's cameo - I'm sorry guys but I can't stand him and his cameo in JW was noticeably bad. I didn't laugh at all at his scenes.
6. The use of the original music was a little off - Many scenes they used the original music from the first 2 films was a bit iffy. Most of the scenes they used it in had no sense of wonder so the music really wasn't needed, but there were also spots where the music was spot on.

Overall it was not a bad movie and a damn fine sequel to JP, but there are a lot of ways they could of improved it immensely.

Alenkiy Tsvetochek (aka The Scarlet Flower)
(1952, Russia)
Directed by Lev Atamanov
A Russian version of Beauty and the Beast, given to me by Mr Minio.
7/10