Dexter

Tools    

Suppose but it was kind of inevitable and once she'd started helping Dex, she was never going to get out clean so seemed like a natural continuation. I don't think it's that big of a game changer and was probably the easiest way out. Sure, it'll be interesting what happens with Deb but not really counting on them utilising it's full potential

The Adventure Starts Here!
I have to disagree with you on this one, Pyro. I think setting up Deb here as a total change and transformation gives the writers plenty of places to go for the final season. Does Dexter finally realize how bad he's become, getting Deb involved not just as an accomplice but as a fellow murderer? And, even worse, not even a murderer with The Code. Just a murderer. So, according to The Code, Deb's actually in a worse spot than Dexter.

And Dexter's not going to like that he's put her in that position. Granted, he seemed genuinely willing to have her shoot him instead of LaGuerta. I'm thinking he felt a strange sort of relief, based on how that scene was acted -- but Deb complicated things rather than wrapping them up.

I kept thinking (we just rewatched the episode five minutes ago)... that if THIS had been the series finale instead of just a season finale, Deb would have shot Dexter. Easy wrap-up for everyone then.

So, since Dexter has now come full circle and killed *all* participants in his mother's murder, it seems the final season will be one of a lot of psychological wrangling between Deb and Dexter -- with Hannah thrown into the mix now to make any of Dexter or Deb's choices a little more complicated.

Will Dexter run off with Hannah and Harrison, leaving Deb to go back to her "real" life? Can she even do that ever again, even with Dexter out of the picture? Or, since we know Dexter's loyalty to Deb runs far deeper than to anyone else except Harrison, perhaps he won't run away with Hannah after all. Because he made it clear in the prison that he'd never find Deb safe with Hannah on the loose.

So perhaps the final season finds Deb and Dexter pairing up for one final kill -- Hannah -- so that the final choices of the series can be made. And through the Hannah-killing, the psychological wrangling will come.

A lot of what you're saying seems to hinge on where the writers go with it next Season, guess I could retrospectively re-evaluate it after that. Just haven't got faith in the writers to pull off the threads they've left open. Maybe it's because I wanted a different outcome. Maybe it's because I felt everything they were building would carry over to next season. Maybe it's because it's yet another Seasons threat overcome far too easily. A least there should be repercussions that vibrate through next season.

The writers should take a note of The Shield which is definitely a superior handling, thus far, of a very similar themed show.

The funny thing is that I also agree that Dexter's ability to plant evidence and manipulate crime scenes is beyond believable now. But I'm having enough fun with the pace of the story to let it go for one final season, just to see where they go with it.

We watched the episode just now with my brother-in-law, who has seen bits and pieces of this series with us over the past year or two. He's not that bright in terms of things like writing and plotting, so I found it amusing that:

1. He didn't realize all the Doakes scenes were flashbacks. At one point mid-episode he yelled out, "You're next, buddy!" I had to calmly tell him that guy was already dead and these were flashbacks to seasons 1 and 2.

2. He said loudly at another point, "I swear this show has some of the BEST WRITERS on TV!"

Having been in here a lot lately discussing just this sort of thing with you guys, I just about guffawed out loud, but I didn't. I was the only one of the three of us who had seen the episode already and didn't want to get into a discussion with him about why he was WRONG.

But hey, we can't all be brilliant.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
If the finale of this season has told me anything, it's how much I miss Doakes. The back and forth between them was the most enjoyable things of the first two seasons and this episode too!!!!

My prediction from the very first episode came true!!!! I figured Deb would have to kill the b*tch to protect Dexter. Hated LaGuerta, she's done some pretty horrible things "career" wise to get where she is.

This season did feel off, it was more about relationships than anything else. It was still better than the last two, it just didn't end with a bang, it simply set up the next season. I figure Hannah will be the big bad and things will get interesting, bloody and hopefully brilliant.

Suspect's Reviews

I wish Doakes was still around

It's become almost a Deux Ex Machina. I get he's good but almost as though the department has no common sense. He may as well shout and point right then do a murder to the left while they're looking away. Quinn should have piped up after his investigation or something.

I will say i'm glad they picked up on his first kill this season, and the issues I had with it.

I forgot to say that, too: I forgot how entertaining Doakes was. And while we were conditioned to think of him as a jerk simply because he's brash and he was an impediment to the show's main character, it's helpful to remember that he was obviously a great detective who was onto Dex from the beginning.

Wow, suddenly we all miss Doakes. My husband said the same thing today while we were watching the finale. "I miss that Doakes guy..." LOL

Kakarot89: The Infamous Thread Killer
Hey, I have a question. What were your thoughts on Season 6? I got the DVD for Christmas and I'm watching it again and I'm realizing that I still don't like it. I've been hearing that people hate it for the religion thing but I didn't really have any problems with that. The things I didn't like about it were that stupid "twist" about Colin Hanks being Edward James Olmoss and they had some of the worst CG I've ever seen. So, now I'm wondering what you guys thought of it and I don't really want to retrace through the thread just to find out.

Probably the weakest season, though it's not much better than 5.

I like the religious angle plenty, they just don't go anywhere interesting with it. It's a natural topic to get into at some point, but they really blew it.

And yeah, the twist was pretty lame. I didn't see it coming the whole way, but I did figure it out a couple of episodes beforehand.

The last scene of the season was good, at least admit that!

Yup, it was. Though it's kinda more the start of season 7 than the end of season 6. Nothing else in season 6 was really leading or building to it. It was tacked on just to let us know that they were finally getting on with it.

Kakarot89: The Infamous Thread Killer
I agree, it was worth it but I consider it more Season 7 than 6. I also saw them being the same person a couple episodes before it happened. I actually thought it more along the lines of "Do you know what would be stupid? If they were the same guy!" Then it happened and I actually was about to drop the show altogether just because they did that. I didn't even start watching season 7 until they were about eight episodes in, I was just so disappointed in 6.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I like the religious angle too, I just didn't buy Colin Hanks as the murderer. I also did not see the twist coming and don't really think it's that terrible. I should have seen it though since Dexter has been talking to his dead father for years now and the fact that I did notice no one else interacting with him. I guess I just didn't think they were going to go down that route. I suppose if I did figure it out beforehand I would have been a tad upset. I'm just indifferent.

I think the incestuous angle was a misstep though. That is something that no one wants to see and they steered clear of it pretty early on in season 7. The religion that Dexter is confronted with goes nowhere in my opinion and the overall writing seemed weaker. I'm not a fan of season 3, 5 and 6. Season 7 was off and on, it was more about the brother sister relationship than anything else.

I truly hope the end with 8, despite talk of a 9th.

I still hold season 2 and 1 in high regards though. With 4 not far behind.

I hope as well TUS, ending Season 8. I do love it, but sometimes TV go to far for Dollars.

In season 6 I actually didn't see the twist coming and didn't mind it but like Suspect says Hanks was unconvincing the the incest stuff was a bit strange. However the thing I hated the most was why the hell did Dexter even become involved with Gellar and Travis? In all the other seasons he has personal motivations to become involved with the cases but in this one why doesn't he just help the police? And watching back the earlier seasons I just think Dexter's character and narration as a whole has lost its quality, we used to hear his thoughts in a way that made the show enjoyable because his character is highly interesting, now what we hear is basically a narration of the show and just snide little comments that people would normally say under their breath if you get me.

Edit: I think I'd rank the seasons something like this, after the first four it's difficult I think:

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
Season 8 will be starting on June 30th this year.