Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Just do yourself a favor, and don't watch #4.
I just watched the Violent S*it trilogy! Not watching stuff is WEAKNESS!
Added to my to-watch list.
Kewl. Lemme know when you watched it in like 2024.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I just watched the Violent S*it trilogy! Not watching stuff is WEAKNESS!
Or it could be seen as making better use of your time?

Kewl. Lemme know when you watched it in like 2024.
If you want to know what I think of it, I can bump it up. Heck, just say the word and I'll watch it today.

Seriously? John Wick 1 and 2 are modern action masterpieces. Giving them such a low rating should be illegal.
Now you sound like a Communist dictator.

Heh, na, but I gave John Wick 1 2.5/5, so average. And the second one had considerably less plot and more unrealistic action. So I gave it half a star less, and I'll never crave mindless action enough to watch the last two. If I want action, I can just watch more Nicholas Winding Refn movies.

I Believe in Unicorns (2014)

A teenage girl fell in love with a skateboarding punk and set off on a spontaneous road trip of dreamlike romance, but it wasn't all smiles and rainbows. Natalia Dyer played the lead, Davina, a cute but sad teenager with a fondness for unicorns. When she crushed on a boy named Sterling, played by Peter Vack, the two became entwined in a bitter sweet romance. Sterling displayed some abusive signs, inherited from his abusive father, but love triumphed over their wounds, though the future was uncertain. Julia Garner played Cassidy, Davina's best friend, though her role was relatively small. She only appeared in four scenes, but they were very effective scenes. Garner has a knack for sympathetic cuteness like no other, delivering more in subtle expressions of emotion than words ever could. There was one scene that stood out above everything else in the movie, at least to me. It was about a quarter of the way into the movie, Davina had had sex for the first time with her boyfriend. She was telling her friend, Cassidy about it, and they kissed to demonstrate how good of a kisser "he" was. It was adorably naive, and awkward, and more was said with their timid glances and pursed lips than words ever could. I've never been more interested in over the shoulder dialogue shots, because half of the shots didn't include and dialogue, and they also captured both characters compositionally in an interesting way. The cinematography made great use of sloppy gritty hand held, stop motion, and montages.

Ella Fitzgerald: Just One Of Those Things (Leslie Woodhead, 2019)
+
Skeetle-boop-de-doo-dup-dootle-ootle-biddle-day

Loved this strange movie. Hugh fan of Robert Pattinson.

“I was cured, all right!”

I liked it more than the second one.

I love Bruce Willis so I wanted to like this film, but everything felt so weak... the only positive point was Willis himself imo.

Black Moon (1975)

For some reason which I can no longer recall, this oddity by Louis Malle did make its way to my watchlist. It's a dreamlike film with no apparent plot and a ton of stuff that's either allegorical or just weird. Maybe it's about the rise of militant feminism and teenage girl's attempt to grasp what it means to be a woman (implied by the film's literal war on sexes), or maybe it's just dreams and memories of a demented old lady. I don't think it really matters.

The first comparison that comes to mind is Valerie and Her Week of Wonders which does the pudding sexuality thing much better and is also more inventive and daring in its dreaminess (also both have pretty teenage leads flashing some skin). Still, Black Moon is moderately interesting and unpredictable. Maybe this will grow with time but for now, I'm only going to give...

Chatroom (2010)

Imogen Poots played a secondary character in this movie about internet chat rooms. There was really nothing special about this movie, as the main character was a mentally disturbed individual trying to convince another unstable person to commit suicide. There was little story or plot.

I've been quietly impressed by Imogen Poots, even though I think it's a made up name
Heh, heh. I wondered about that too. But evidently it's her family's name from England. I've always liked "Imogene" since the days of Imogene Coca, from the old Your Show of Shows, and scores of other roles.

⬆️ Poots’s father is not from England; rather, he is from Northern Ireland & perhaps that’s from where their surname derives.

12 ANGRY MEN
(1957)

First viewing. 63 years old but doesn't seem too outdated. Good performances by the entire cast.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

SOME KIND OF HERO
(1982)

Richard Pryor in an underrated and overlooked dramatic turn as a Vietnam War veteran and POW, with Margot Kidder (Lois Lane) playing a prostitute.

Clerks 2 (2006)

This is the only Kevin Smith movie I own, and I still think it's one of my favorite comedies overall. Some of the script and dialogue is a little weak when it comes to developing a story, but the jokes and character humor are all top notch.

Boldly going.
Sin City
8/10.
I love the cool, neo-noir style of this movie and the way it contrasts the gritty with the sleek, the ugly with the beautiful. I find I enjoy the movie more when I assume some of the characters have super abilities which make them extremely tough to kill (especially Marv).
I appreciated the movie more on the big screen, where the black and white with the colour highlights really popped.
Also noticed this time around that Quentin Tarantino had shared in directing. He did the driving-to-the-pits scene, which is totally Tarantino.