Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

No Mercy (2010) - 6.7/10. So I found this "best non English thrillers" on a website. So I thought hmmm... This might be interesting. So I decided to watch all of them. I have seen almost 30 of them already. Just trying to do the remaining one. This was on the lower end of the list. And it shows. The story is a bit disjointed. Not taught enough which most Korean thrillers are known for. The acting is decent, except one overly over acted scene in the end. The twist is well worth waiting for and quite satisfying. The site claimed like "Oldboy". But that is bit of a stretch. Enjoyable for sure. Well worth a shot.

Strange But True (Rowan Athale, 2019)
5.5/10
Flower Drum Song (Henry Koster, 1961)
- 6.5/10
Angels' Brigade AKA Angels' Revenge (Greydon Clark, 1979)
4/10
Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion (Shun'ya Itô, 1972)
6/10

That female prisoner (Meiko Kaji) wreaks tons of violence.
The Year of Spectacular Men (Lea Thompson, 2018)
5.5/10
Growing Up Female (Julia Reichert & Jim Klein, 1971)
+ 6/10
The Song of Names (François Girard, 2019)
5.5/10
Superman: Red Son (Sam Liu, 2020)
6/10

Soviet Superman is in the middle of this flick, even what goes on with U.S. President Lex Luthor.
Take Me Somewhere Nice (Ena Sendijarevic, 2019)
+ 5/10
The Lovebirds (Michael Showalter, 2020)
5.5/10
Shakedown (Leilah Weinraub, 2018)
5/10
Military Wives (Peter Cattaneo, 2019)
6/10

Occasionally affecting with a particularly moving ending.
The Painter and the Thief (Benjamin Ree, 2020)
6/10
Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell (Alfonso Corona, 1988)
4/10
Have a Good Trip: Adventures in Psychedelics (Donick Cary, 2020)
6/10
Crystal Swan (Darya Zhuk, 2018)
6/10

1990s Belarusian DJ Alina Nasibullina gets sidetracked in her dream to get to America, but her basic goodness shines through.
Killbird (Joe Zanetti, 2019)
6/10
Rev (Ant Horasanli, 2020)
5/10
Looking for Mr. Goodbar (Richard Brooks, 1977)
6/10
Inheritance (Vaughn Stein, 2020)
5.5/10

Not as interesting as it should be but stlll borderline watchable.

Hello, it gives me ideas about the movies I'm going to watch next week

I am a fan of the movie Manhunter, and so one of my friends reccomeded To Live and Die in LA, because it also stars William Petersen and has that strong 80s vibe. And I am glad I took his advice, cause I enjoyed this film where a young William Dafoe plays a rather cool villian. And just like Manhunter, this movie has a really good 80s OST.

Add to that a really good and long car chase sequence that looked authentic and real. I looked up the director and unsurprisingly it's the one who made The French Connection.

The Body (2012) - 7.2/10. This was dope stuff. This was second from bottom on the list I found, but it was brilliant. The acting, the direction, the plot, all great. One thing I have to say is these Spanish dudes use of the camera is simply awesome. The story is like spaghetti noodles but absolutely enjoyable. And the second lady's eyes, were just... WOW!!! Recommended whole heartedly! Although I figured it out a little bit in the middle. Whiskey power!

Performance (1970)

First time I've seen this and a good watch. It's a bit 60s with gangster culture (Chas) as he attempts to escape from wrongdoings. He, purposefully ends up holing up with the opposite of his creed. Washed up star (Turner) needs to feed on him for inspiration. Bit of a ride but an enjoyable one. With Cammell involved I don't suppose it could be any other way.

The Body (2012) - 7.2/10. This was dope stuff. This was second from bottom on the list I found, but it was brilliant. The acting, the direction, the plot, all great. One thing I have to say is these Spanish dudes use of the camera is simply awesome. The story is like spaghetti noodles but absolutely enjoyable. And the second lady's eyes, were just... WOW!!! Recommended whole heartedly! Although I figured it out a little bit in the middle. Whiskey power!
I’m fond of it too. Quite a few films with Belén Rueda are worth seeing.

The Wrong Missy
(2020)
3/5

I didn't find it very funny.. actually, I wasn't laughing at any point in the film.

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

The Dawn
(2019)
2.5/5

WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
In the end, you see a drawing of the residence of Ronald DeFeo Jr. Somehow, it's supposed to be linked to "The Amityville Horror"?

Frozen II: 9/10
Django Unchained: 6/10 (this might prob be controversial)

THE WRONG MISSY
(2020)

Terrible film. Really stupid. Another one of Adam Sandler's Happy Madison-produced lousy Netflix comedies. But for what it was worth, it made me laugh at a few scenes.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Possession (1981) - 5/10. Didn't like it. The acting was poor. More or less all the dialogue that the lead male delivers feels like he is constipated. The plot is a nut case. The screaming is annoying along with the over-acting. 2 for the movie. And 3 for Isabelle Adjani alone. Boy she was smoking hot.... and cute at the same time.

Come and See (1985): 10/10
The Trouble with Harry (1955): 7/10
In This Corner of the World (2016): 9/10
The Pianist (2002): 10/10
Funan (2018): 8/10

One of those movies that you wish you could be transplanted back in time so you could watch this fx laden flicker pic when it premiered. The sometimes laughable fx added to it's charm, especially the flying Genie. Perfect movie for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Another fx filled fantasy. This has been on my radar since it was in theaters but the drama surrounding the production made me think it would be a disaster, so I avoided it. It's not a disaster at all. A lot of Baron is a "gettin' the band back together" movie with the Baron travelling to the moon, a volcano and the belly of a fish and finding his former servants who all possess a superhuman trait of some kind. Not a great movie but it's fun and very good looking.

The Godfather Part III (1990)

I recall being totally underwhelmed by this on my first and only viewing so far. It's got issues but still hangs together as a 3rd piece to the story. It wouldn't stand up as story on its own unlike the first 2. Good points are Talia Shire is lovely and Machiavellian as Connie, Andy Garcia is impressive as Vincent. Bad points: the violence is too contrived. No Tom Hagen. The Vatican plot is just a mish mash of real life occurrences to fit a storyline. And it is *far* more interesting than that. Middle: Sofia Coppola is fair enough in her part, not the worst at all, Al Neri still a bad SOB

Heard Coppola needed the money and, to be fair, it's not a dial in job just a bit forced.

Weekend re-watrches:

1st Re-watch...The screenplay is overly complex and overly cute, but the stars make it worth watching.

9th re-watch...The 2002 Oscar winner for Best Picture hasn't aged a bit in 18 years,,,Rob Marshall's direction and choreography are imaginative and the performances of Renee Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones still electrify.

1st Re-watch...this 2004 Best Picture Oscar winner still packs a wallop. Eastwood, Swank, and Freeman are superb. Freeman won an Oscar, even though I think he's done better work. Swank's Oscar was richly deserved and Eastwood should have won. The last 20 minutes of this movie turn me into a puddle.

9th re-watch...The 2002 Oscar winner for Best Picture hasn't aged a bit in 18 years,,,Rob Marshall's direction and choreography are imaginative and the performances of Renee Zellweger and Catherine Zeta-Jones still electrify.
I love Chicago (2002).