Most Overrated and underrated Directors

Tools    

come on the rape scenes and the gang banging scenes would have had a lot more blood in them Quintin could have pulled of a decent verision of the film and he would have gotten Sameul L Jackson to be in it and yell at people for no reason

Originally Posted by Mr. Blue
Mel brooks is deffinantly underrated. "Can I get A Hurumph"
He's one of the-if not THE-best comedy director ever, and LOTS of people agree. He's not underrated, if my info is true.
And found he was eating his shoe.

Originally Posted by Garrett
I think that The Sixth Sense is overrated, but not Shyamalan himself.
I agree. Shyamalan is not overrated in the least bit. The Sixth Sense is my least favorite of his 3 latest.

1. Signs
2. Unbreakable
3. the Sixth Sense. . .

Is how I rank his latest films. I don't think the Sixth Sense really should've gotten so much acclaim. Signs is way cooler, atleast I think so.

Bug Planet Proximus
Alright well seeing as how those movies came out when i was between the ages of 1&4 i will have to go check them out this weekend and see if my opinions change, and i am really not that fond of Tarantino.

Melbrooks is deffinantly underrated. "Can I get A Hurumph"
Given your age, maybe you should ponder or research before making comments on directors, decades before your time.

overrated: Spielberg. I think the only respect i have for him is as a producer.

underrated: hmmmmm. both of these are directors who already have a large reputation but i think they should be classed even higher. David Mamet(mostly a screenwriter) AND Brian De Palma (i know, i know, this is a bit of a contradiction, but i think that his period isnt over yet and he deserves just as much respect as he ever did, today! Better than Coppola!!)

I have something else to add on the whole Tarantino argument. While he is taking (or "paying homage" if you like your facts sugar-coated) a lot of his stuff blatantly from others, there is a good side. He's introducing a whole new audience to movies outside of the mainstream. I've seen people who've never heard of Akira Kurosawa or Sergio Leone or, heck, even the Shaw Brothers take an interest in things they otherwise wouldn't have known about.

Do you know my poetry?
I've seen people who've never heard of Akira Kurosawa or Sergio Leone.
Every single person I know in real life has never heard of either of the two. I hate people so much.

waterisforcowards,waterma kesyouweak
m. night shamalan is the worst director I can think of. Exstremely overated as well as kobe bryant. Signs and The Sixth Sense are to of the worst (I hesitate to say a film) I have ever seen. The Ring kicks those two in the @ss!

So many good movies, so little time.
Ang Lee has only made 8 movies so far but I feel he is turning into a very good director with a bright future in front of him.

Hulk (2003) - Haven't seen
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) - good movie
Ride with the Devil (1999/I) - very good movie
Ice Storm, The (1997) - very good movie
Sense and Sensibility (1995) - good movie
Eat Drink Man Woman (1994) (USA) - very good movie
Wedding Banquet, The (1993) - good movie
Pushing Hands (1992) - good movie

I know th Hulk wasn't too good but he has a pretty good batting average here. I also like how he is willing to try different styles of movies. His first three were about Asian culture and families (although the Wedding Banquet was particularly about accepting gay family members into a traditional Asian family). Then he took on a classic English book, a drama set in 70's suburban Connecticut, a civil war story, a karate movie and then a super hero movie. Ang Lee is obviously a person willing to take chances.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Bug Planet Proximus
I have something else to add on the whole Tarantino argument. While he is taking (or "paying homage" if you like your facts sugar-coated) a lot of his stuff blatantly from others, there is a good side. He's introducing a whole new audience to movies outside of the mainstream. I've seen people who've never heard of Akira Kurosawa or Sergio Leone or, heck, even the Shaw Brothers take an interest in things they otherwise wouldn't have known about.
i think that what people call 'tarantino-esque' or his 'style', is completely a collaboration of other styles and each one of his movies is a specific genre driven movie. I wouldnt go as far as to say he has no style of his own and he just compiles other peoples works magnificently, because it's too easy a conclusion and not true.
The only movie i CAN agree he blatantly copied was Reservoir Dogs. I was amazed to see how much of the story (all of it) was copied straight from the Hong Kong action flick City on Fire. I know it was intended to 'pay respect' but i never saw it.

Originally Posted by D'yer Mak'er
i think that what people call 'tarantino-esque' or his 'style', is completely a collaboration of other styles and each one of his movies is a specific genre driven movie. I wouldnt go as far as to say he has no style of his own and he just compiles other peoples works magnificently, because it's too easy a conclusion and not true.
The only movie i CAN agree he blatantly copied was Reservoir Dogs. I was amazed to see how much of the story (all of it) was copied straight from the Hong Kong action flick City on Fire. I know it was intended to 'pay respect' but i never saw it.
Reservoir Dogs is his best movie (IMO of course) so don't go a knockin' it fool! I might just have to give you the TKO from Tokyo! I'm kidding. But anyway, I don't care who Tarantino copies his stuff from, he's one of my favorite directors and he can rip off almost anything as far as I'm concerned, he'll always have a special place in my heart

PT Anderson, two thumbs up (although I didn't get PUnch Drunk Love)
and I wish Terry Gilliam made more movies.

Most Overrated: Steven Spielberg, Oliver Stone, Ron Howard

Most Underrated: Michael Mann, John Carpenter, Tony Scott

Bruce Campbell Groupie
Overrated-Steven Spielberg

Underrated-Paul Verhoeven

come on the rape scenes and the gang banging scenes would have had a lot more blood in them Quintin could have pulled of a decent verision of the film and he would have gotten Sameul L Jackson to be in it and yell at people for no reason
Are you saying that a rape scene, would have been better if it had more blood in it! Are you some kind of sick freak or something?

I also think your forgetting that Stanley Kubrick made A Clockwork Orange years before anyone knew who Tarantino was.

I'm curious on why people think Spielberg is overrated? His movies are classics!

Originally Posted by D'yer Mak'er
i think that what people call 'tarantino-esque' or his 'style', is completely a collaboration of other styles
That's basically what anyone's style is... there aren't many ideas that haven't been put to screen.

A system of cells interlinked
How is Kurosawa, one of the most critically acclaimed directors in the history of film, whom also has Criterion Collections devoted to his works, underrated?

Originally Posted by Animal_Mother
No one I can name has heard of him. I was referring to him not amongst movie fans but among people who don't know a lot.
Then that simply proves you need a better class of friends. Kurosawa is not underrated or underappreciated. You just hang around twits. Obviously. The fault, dear Brutus, lies not in the stars but in ourselves. Dig? People who don't know a lot, well, they don't know a lot. Their loss.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra