The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I hadn't seen either one.

Those clues from SpellingError are very tricky.
He's a tricky one, that Speling

Django Unchained is about the 10th film to show that I had as a contender for my ballot but didn't make it, likely because it's been a few years since I've seen it. I thought for sure it was more popular than Hateful 8.

I think The Avengers is basically crap, but I thought it was entertaining crap. I hated the one that came next and that's when I pretty much gave up.

I’m shocked that these are both so high.
At this point, I only have true hopes of four more from my list to come up, which I'm pretty much 100% sure will come up. As for the other fourteen?

I hadn't seen either one.

Those clues from SpellingError are very tricky.
He's a tricky one, that Speling
If you send me your credit card info, it should increase your odds at guessing the hints correctly. Giant secret charges may apply though.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Well, my score at guessing hints is 100%. I never attempted to guess any and so I never guessed wrong.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I now have 0% chance of anymore of my movies making the countdown

And it's not like most of the movies on my ballot are obscure stuff that never gets mentioned...A number of my ballot movies are well liked by some members here. Hard to believe they didn't even make the bottom of the countdown...they must have been buried by the overwhelming points from populist movies.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

And it's not like most of the movies on my ballot are obscure stuff that never gets mentioned...A number of my ballot movies are well liked by some members here. Hard to believe they didn't even make the bottom of the countdown...they must have been buried by the overwhelming points from populist movies.
Look forward to seeing what you had. I know a few of them but will be cool to see it in full.

I feel the same about my list bar 1 or 2. I feel though that there is a surprise or 2 in store because a couple of people have voted for a lesser loved film at the top of their list.

YEEEES! WOO WOO WOO! I didn't think my number one would actually make it! I mean, after Endgame appeared way early, all I had was a shred of hope! Believe it or not, I was really looking for something to top my #1 because it seemed like a toolish #1. But I'm really happy to contribute the 25 points necessary to bring this from 36 to 28. This is everything a superhero fan wants in a movie with no backstory tropes attached. Endgame would've been my #1 if not for the fact that it requires watching almost 20 other movies to get the full experience.

Django Unchained was the Tarantino movie I was saving for when I complete his catalog. And it ended up as my second favorite, but I had to force myself to get through this as I have difficulty with movies centering around racism. But it was a very well-told story with enough brutality to keep the thrills going.

Django Unchained was Old Ballot:
1. The Avengers
3. The Lighthouse
4. Endgame
8. A Separation
11. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
15. Gone Girl
16. Django Unchained
18. Inside Out
19. Incendies
22. Black Swan

New Ballot:
1. The Avengers
3. The Lighthouse
4. Endgame
8. A Separation
11. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
15. Gone Girl
16. The Shape of Water
17. Django Unchained
20. Inside Out
21. Incendies
22. Interstellar
25. Midnight in Paris

Seen 46/74

I should have nine more coming which will put me at nineteen. That is about my average for these countdowns.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Not really a fan of The Avengers. There are films in the MCU that I disliked more than it, and a few that I liked more.

Django Unchained is a very good film. I'm a huge Tarantino fan as many people on here know and this is great fun filled with the usual stuff that makes his films so enjoyable. I don't have much more to say that I haven't already. It's a tad overlong and I would place it near the bottom of my Tarantino rankings but that's because I love everything else so much.

I'm a little surprised to see it so low, it seems to be his most widely "liked" 2010s film. Like if I spoke to 10 people who've seen it from my friendship group in real life, I would bet they would all like it but I couldn't guarantee the same for the other two which are more polarising.

I didn't have it on my list but definitely in my top 100 for the decade. I guess this is good news for the other two.

62/74 seen.

Look forward to seeing what you had. I know a few of them but will be cool to see it in full.
You've seen some of them at least...My past HoF noms made up a few spots on my ballot, that's probably not too surprising.

I feel the same about my list bar 1 or 2. I feel though that there is a surprise or 2 in store because a couple of people have voted for a lesser loved film at the top of their list.
I think it was you who talked about your love for a movie that I had as my #1. It would be neat if a couple of us gave it enough points so that it made the countdown...fingers crossed.

My Ballot  

38/74 seen
6/74 on my ballot
Django and Avengers--meh.
I haven't seen The Avengers but know that i know it is a Joss Whedon film I probably will. I like Joss even though he sounds like a nightmare to work with.
Django Unchained, I saw and I liked it alright. Even though I am not that big a fan of the ultraviolence. But it is not on my ballot.

I have five that I feel sure are going to make this countdown. The rest are not going to make it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Last 26?

Mad Max Fury Road
Blade Runner 2049
Parasite
The Master
La La Land
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Get Out
Arrival
Her
Wolf of Wall Street
Grand Budapest Hotel
12 Years a Slave
Birdman
Inside Llewellyn Davis
Tree of Life
Social Network
It's Such A Beautiful Day
Hateful 8
Phantom Thread
Shoplifters
Florida Project
Whiplash
Us
Lady Bird
Inception
Drive

The truth is in here
Django Unchained is a very fun movie that at the same time still manages to be brutally honest about the horrors of 19th century America and slavery. Every actor involved gives some of the greatest performances of their careers. Jamie Foxx is effortlessly cool, Christoph Waltz effortlessly charming, Leonardo DiCaprio and Samuel L. Jackson effortlessly evil. They all run beautifully in sync with each other. All stealing the show but at the same time also sharing the show. I have to mention Kerry Washington though since she rarely gets brought up. She does a great job creating a character you feel very sympathetic towards. She really helps sell the humilation and torment she goes through in the scene where Calvin, bleeding after a furious rant decides to smear his blood on her face. That part more than any other has you rooting for Django to set all these sons of bitches in place.

Overall great, but somehow not my favorite Tarantino of the 2010's. I'm not sure if the other one will show up or not given its mixed reputation but it might.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
• #27. Django Unchained (2012) - since I follow the Tarantino career, I saw this film as soon as it was released. Yes, it is an epic spectacle full of superb characters, skillfully casted which is typical for Tarantino. Well, I have some issues with all those twist and turns in the second half that's why this was only briefly in consideration for my ballot.
Anyway, it took #31 on my top 60 list. A special thing for me was seeing Don Johnson again in a noticeable production. Samuel Jackson and Waltz are great indeed. Actually, here was the DiCaprio's Oscar but they never award villains
(81/100)

---

• Don't know the other movie of the today reveals.

Top 100 seen 35/74.
(#441-458 • seen 2/18
one pointers • seen 4/35)

--
My list:
9. Albert Nobbs (2011) [#453.]
14. Ida (2013) [#71.]
15. Midnight in Paris (2011) [#45.]
17. Moonrise Kingdom (2012) [#37.]
25. Ága (2018) [one-pointer]

==============================
(my extended top 60)

28. Certified Copy (2010) [#84.]
29. Hell or High Water (2016) [#73.]
30. Jagten[The Hunt] (2012) [#57.]
31. Django Unchained (2012) [#27.]
34. Nightcrawler (2014) [#55.]
41. Boyhood (2014) [#32.]
44. The King's Speech (2010) [#78.]
45. Joker (2019) [#60.]
55. The Descendants (2011) [#98.]
56. 1917 (2019) [#86.]
57. The Revenant (2015) [#53.]
60. The Artist (2011) [#87.]

Last 26?

Mad Max Fury Road
Blade Runner 2049
Parasite
The Master
La La Land
Get Out
Arrival
Her
Wolf of Wall Street
Grand Budapest Hotel
12 Years a Slave
Birdman
Inside Llewellyn Davis
Tree of Life
Social Network
It's Such A Beautiful Day
Hateful 8
Phantom Thread
Shoplifters
Florida Project
Whiplash
Us
Lady Bird
Inception
Drive
Sounds good. The only ones from the list I might be somewhat iffy are...

12 Years a Slave and Birdman, mostly because I don't see them come often in discussions. However, considering all the "lesser" BP winners that already made it (The Artist, The King's Speech), they will probably get in anyway.

Shoplifters, haven't seen it and I know it has its fans, but foreign film? a bit more niche? Don't know.

Florida Project, is this one highly regarded? Around here at least? I haven't seen it, so I don't know, but again, it's not a film I see much discussion around. I could say the same about Lady Bird, but I've seen that one and I really liked it.

The truth is in here
The Hateful Eight over Django Unchained would be very surprising, since it's neither one of the most liked Tarantinos nor one of his films that get defended the most.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Last 26?

Mad Max Fury Road
Blade Runner 2049
Parasite
The Master
La La Land
Get Out
Arrival
Her
Wolf of Wall Street