The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Dredd got this far up??? I knew it was at least fairly popular, but not always considered a great movie, let alone one of the greatest. Seen neither, so I guess it's a Dredd day.

By the end I'll have seen 34/60. Currently the ongoing algorithm of my seen films is 50% + 4.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Melancholia! I got one again finally!

I liked it so much I put it at 13 on my list. Dunsts performance was so damn good I thought.

Obviously Rodent voted for Dredd but I'm curious on the rest of all of you.

MoFo Reviewers

Dredd

Dredd is a film that managed to legitimize two trends that I've absolutely hated about this past decade in cinema: the frequent use of slow motion, and the resurgence of 3D movies. It is actually one of a very small number of films that I wish could occasionally get thrown back into theatres because audiences deserve the full IMAX 3D experience. The visuals in this movie are simply breathtaking, with the 3D being used to enhance the atmosphere and provide an added perception of depth to the enormous 200 storey structure within which a majority of the film is set.
Read the full review here.

Melancholia

The philosophy of exactly why this is has been pondered for hundreds of years, since the time we started worrying about such things in relation to society, anyway. The winged genius on the boat in the etching seems to have everything he needs, and yet, his troubled brow is clear... Justine has everything she could ever want, except happiness. There is a ton of symbolism in this film, and the film makes little sense otherwise (and just don't pay any attention to the ridiculous science in the film) This fact bears down on her inexorably, like a gas giant hurtling through space on a collision course with her soul. There will be no escape. There will be no respite. This is a Lars von Trier film, after all.
Read the full review here.

If I'd been doing this my hint would've been cheeky and possibly dumb by being, like, "Emotions."
I was hoping for everyone to overthink my hint, which almost worked.

If I'd been doing this my hint would've been cheeky and possibly dumb by being, like, "Emotions."
Or, furthering your idea, posting the Inside Out poster again

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm really surprised Dredd made it into the countdown, not to mention the high place. It's a great film, and the glass-breaking scene is one of the best ever of its kind. Not as great as Zhora breaking the glass in Blade Runner, though - that one is straight transcendental.

I prefer earlier von Trier to his late output. Still, his late output is quite good, too. Melancholia is a depressive film but I watched it more than 10 years ago, so I can't say much more.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

mark f

Dredd (Pete Travis, 2012)

Melancholia (Lars von Trier, 2011)
Art House Rating:
- Von Trier's film begins with something of a coup - a slow-motion, abstract prologue which basiically tells the entire film in less than ten minutes. Then the film proper begins. It started out reminding me of a non-Dogma 95 version of The Celebration, but then it went its own way. It relies greatly on Wagner's "Tristan and Isolde" theme which I'm familiar with from several movies, my fave being Excalibur. I suppose it's up to each person to decide if this film is sci-fi or completely metaphorical and locked in the characters' minds.
Neither film made mark f's ballot.

Dredd's a fun enough watch and was one I gave a rewatch to as prep for this but it never even made the long-list for me, let alone have a shot at making my ballot, and I'm somewhat surprised to see it appear this high. Melancholia is one I've not yet seen.

Seen: 47/60 (Own: 30/60)
My ballot:  

Faildictions  

I rewatched Melancholia before making my list and was glad I did. Could have been one of my cuts because it had been so long. Absolutely beautiful and engrossing movie about depression. Would have been good even without the sci-fi element, but that takes it next level with the metaphor really ending everything in a very satisfying, even if a bit depressing, way. Can’t say enough about that first chapter. Rivals Godfather for best wedding sequence ever. It was my 21.

Have had absolutely no interest in Dredd. Maybe it being here changes that, but I kind of doubt it.

Of the last four, I haven't seen Three Billboards or Melancholia.

Of the '10s actioners (of this type anyway, not the more pop Marvel movies), I guess Dredd is just about my favorite, but not enough to vote for.

If I were going to vote for one religious-themed film of this decade, it would have been the one I finally saw last weekend. Oh well. I liked Silence, but again, no vote.

I have been waiting for @Thief's thoughtful and extensive deep dive into one of his favorite films of all time, Interstellar. As an avid listener of his podcast, one grows tired of his constant divergence into praise for the film every 3 minutes in each and every episode...

"Psycho is pretty good, but it could learn a few things for Interstellar."
"Pretty sure Citizen Kane ripped off Interstellar."
"The Godfather lifted all its dialogue from Interstellar."

And on and on. We get it, man! You love Interstellar!

A system of cells interlinked
Dredd was one of the sci-fi films I ended up cutting simply because I already had too much sci-fi on my list, and I wanted to diversify a bit. I have seen t a few times, and it is always good fun.

I abhor Melancholia. I have mentioned before that I hated this thing so much, that after I was done watching it, I invited a friend over to watch it again immediately! The film made me physically pissed. After my friend watched it with me, he was pissed, both at the film and at me for asking him to sit through it. Easily the most simultaneously infuriating and amazingly beautiful film I have seen.

Neither film made my ballot, but both are very good.

Melancholia is a great deconstruction of depression and contains a handful of powerful scenes, particularly the final few minutes. I do prefer the first half of the film over the second half, but both are very good and I'm glad it made it here. With that being said, I'm not sure if Lars von Trier will ever top his Breaking the Waves - Dancer in the Dark - Dogville peak. Melancholia isn't too far behind those films though.

It's been some time since I've seen Dredd, but I remember it being excellent. I've seen some comparisons between it and The Raid: Redemption, but Dredd would be my my preferred film of the two. The action, the colors, and the use of slow motion (particularly in the climactic action scene) are nothing short of excellent. Real bummer they never made a sequel.

I was starting to worry that Dredd wasn't going to make an appearance, and had just missed its chance at a spot in the Countdown. Like I said in the review Speling quoted, this is the film that made me begrudgingly agree that 3D wasn't always an unnecessary gimmick. I was in awe the first time I saw it, and I still stand by that reaction now. It's a beautiful film, and legitimately one of my all-time favourites. We have four copies of it in the house, one of which was signed by Karl Urban. If you've read this far, you won't be surprised to find out it was #1 on my list.

Melancholia has been on my watch list for a long time now, but I obviously haven't been in a hurry to check it out. From the previous two days, I also haven't seen Midnight in Paris, and I'm not even sure I was aware of its existence.

I've seen Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Silence, and Logan. I liked Three Billboards the most out of those, and Silence the least by a large margin. I had to turn it off 2 or 3 times. I thought Logan was fine when it came out, but far from the masterpiece everyone claimed it was at the time.

Seen: 41/60

My List: 10
01. Dredd (2012) - #42
03. The Raid (2011) - #100
04. John Wick (2014) - 48
06. The Hunt (2012) - #57
09. Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - #68
10. The Raid 2 (2014) - #75
14. The Martian (2015) - #82
15. Hereditary (2018) - #96
18. What We Do in the Shadows (2014) - #56
20. Cabin in the Woods (2011) -#88

Dredd never been on my radar, not likely to enjoy that one at all.

Melancholia I didn't like first time round, I thought Sutherland was miscast and it was all a bit pretentious. Then I re-watched as I started to understand cinema a bit more and really liked it. The sense of dread living with mental illness is captured well, but like Take Shelter, it's the sense of utter vindication that you were right all along that is put across so well.

No votes. Can't remember when a film was last on my ballot from this list!

Melancholia is far from my favorite Von Trier film, or one that I particularly like, but the film has its moments and Dunst gives a great performance. I didn't have any of his films on this decades list, but this I'd take the Nymphomaniacs over this one.
-

Have not seen Dredd

If anybody here listened to the last episode of my podcast with Yoda, you probably heard me gush all over Melancholia. It was my #10. Like I said there, it's a gorgeously shot film that even when you're not sure how to feel about it, it tends to crawl under your skin. Von Trier manages to create an eerie and unsettling piece that you just can't shake off that easily. Plus, Dunst is in top shape; probably the best performance I've seen from her.

Dredd is cool, but I'm not as crazy about it as most people have. I know we got over this when The Raid came up, and I realize there are differences, but I saw it like a month or two after The Raid and I really felt the similitudes between them (cops trapped in a building full of thugs, have to fight their way video-game style from one floor to the other, while also dealing with possible corruption within them). Regardless, it pretty much stands on the same ground as that one for me.

So, here's where I'm at, including the chances for the rest of my list...

Seen: 45/60

My ballot:  

Dredd was #20 on the MoFo Top 100 Comic Book Movies as well as #96 on the MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Films.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra