The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Seen: 16 - Edge of Tomorrow - Decent movie, a few laughs here and there.

Gone Girl - The movie was okay, not a fan of it.

Spotlight - This movie was boring for me and I get what the movie is all about though, I wish they showed more then just being in one place for most of the movie and just talking.

Not Seen: 24

I have not seen Take Shelter, Before Midnight, Manchester by the Sea, Moonlight and The Favourite

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Hint Leaderboard (Current Rankings)

Each time you correctly guess a hint (and are the first person to do so), you'll receive a point.

LAMb EELYAK: 4
Apex Predator: 3
KeyserCorleone: 2
Thief: 2
Chypmunk: 2
rauldc14: 2
Torgo: 2
Miss Vicky: 1
PHOENIX74: 1
seanc: 1
Thursday Next: 1

Moonlight and The Favourite...seen both. I remember Moonlight but had to look up The Favourite to see if I had watched it and I watched it in prep for this countdown!

My reviews:

The Favourite
(2018)

The bunnies were my favorite part. I didn't like this, my fault for watching it as I didn't realize it was an R rated comedy, one that relied on shock gags to get laughs...well not from me. I didn't even know it was a comedy, next time I study up on the movie before investing 2 hours of my time. It wasn't funny or even shocking, but it was juvenile. I went into this hoping it would be like Elizabeth (1998) one of my favorite movies, but of course it wasn't. Instead I get Emma Stone being pushed into the mud and surrounded by flies, a music score that at times DROVE ME CRAZY, not to mention all that self absorbed fish eye lens usage, ugh! Oh and let's not forget three separate vomit scenes, good grief this isn't a 1990s movie...vomiting is so passé. I could do without all the course language too which made me keenly aware I was watching a 21st century movie and not seeing & hearing anything at all like one would back in 18th century London.

Moonlight (2016)

I liked the first two segments which compose the bulk of the movie. I especially found the middle segment with the teen Chiron to be powerful. In the first two segments we see how Chiron being different in a hostile environment filled with drugs and violence effects him. I really felt bad for him! Especially as his home and mother were so deeply messed up. The scenes with his mother were some of the most powerful that I've seen in any movie. The film really immerses us in his personal story and makes his world seem so real. Good film making! And I wanted more of that story.

But the last act with the muscle bound adult Chiron was a let down for the finish. No longer did I care about him as he looked bad ass enough to take on anyone, thus removing the one dynamic of the film that worked so well...sympathy for the underdog.

I've seen both of these and I liked both of them, but neither one was a contender for my ballot. At this point, I've pretty much lost hope for list placement for a significant portion of the films that I did vote for.

Seen: 23/40
My Ballot:
11. The Man From Nowhere (#95)
20. Jojo Rabbit (2019) (#89)
25. Kitbull (One Pointer)

Reviews in My 2010s Countdown Preparation Thread

My review for The Favourite:

The Favourite (Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018)

They might as well have called this movie Catty Bitches in Queen Anne's Court. I generally try to avoid movies with such a predominantly female cast but The Favourite looked like it was going to be a good bit of fun and it did not disappoint. I really liked the dark humor and, as a bit of a sucker for costume dramas, I really loved the sets and the clothes. I have to say that I wasn't expecting this to be a love triangle and was a little surprised by the sexual elements, but it wasn't at all graphic and worked well with the story it was telling. All three lead performances were very strong and, while it did drag in a few places and I didn't quite love it, I do think this is a movie I will want revisit. I may even try to get a second viewing in before it's time to vote for the 2010's list, though there is quite stiff competition and it probably won't make the cut for me.

My review for Moonlight:

Moonlight (Barry Jenkins, 2016)
Imdb

Date Watched: 1/8/2018
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: Best Picture Hall of Fame
Rewatch: No.

*Possible Spoilers*

To be completely honest, I generally avoid films about life on the streets. Images of drug dealing, of prostitution, and of men posturing with their gold teeth and gold chains are pretty far outside my whitewashed little comfort zone. So this was not a film I likely would have watched on my own and I had some reservations going into it. I was a little afraid that the vast difference between the environment that I inhabit and the one inhabited by the film's characters would present a bit of a roadblock to my ability to connect with those characters.

Thankfully, that fear was unfounded. Although Chiron's world is quite foreign to me, his struggles to find his own identity and to cope with the injustices in his life resonated quite well and I could understand and forgive the choices he made and the facade he put up as he reached adulthood.

I also really liked the way that film the handled stereotypes and preconceptions and how it painted its characters in shades of gray. The drug dealer on the street actually becomes a very positive influence on Chiron, even if ultimately the boy follows in his father figure's steps. The crack addicted, neglectful and emotionally abusive mother - in a way a victim of that same father figure - displays genuine remorse and care for her son later in life. The pot smoking, p**** chasing friend finds meaning and fulfillment in being a father.

It's obvious to me that this is a film that is a very personal project for its creators. It feels real and there's no doubt in my mind that it is real in many ways. While what I experienced tonight was not instant love, like what I experienced when I first watched my own nomination, but it was instant respect and I definitely think this is a contender for a high position on my ballot.

As to whether or not this film deserved the win for Best Picture, I can't say. Of its competitors I've only seen Manchester by the Sea and since I've absolutely no intention of ever subjecting myself to La La Land, it's a question I'll likely never be able to answer.

+

The Favourite was my number 14. I have only seen it the once but I loved it. I like how unique Lanthimos is. I love the characters and performances. The score is fantastic. I also love the very dry humor Lanthimos injects. I definitely need to see it again but it left too much of a first impression to leave off my list. I want to do a double feature with The Master. They remind me of each other thematically.

Moonlight is my first huge surprise, not that it’s here but that I expected it to be much much higher. I was thinking top ten. I have seen it twice. Barry Jenkin’s atmospheres stick with me like a warm blanket. Yet to fall in love with one of his movies but they all fall in the I like them a whole lot category. No vote from me on this one.

But the last act with the muscle bound adult Chiron was a let down for the finish. No longer did I care about him as he looked bad ass enough to take on anyone, thus removing the one dynamic of the film that worked so well...sympathy for the underdog.[/font]
Don’t you think that’s the whole point of the third act? He’s still the same marginalized person he is in the first two acts but time has built a facade that is needed to adapt to his environment. Nature has been brushed to the side and nurture has won the day…on the outside.

Another pair of really good movies. I especially liked The Favourite and was surprised at how damn funny it is.

Don’t you think that’s the whole point of the third act? He’s still the same marginalized person he is in the first two acts but time has built a facade that is needed to adapt to his environment. Nature has been brushed to the side and nurture has won the day…on the outside.
That's probably accurate and makes sense...but I don't remember the movie well enough to remember the end.

By far, my worse countdown. Ugh💩

My ballot:  

Never heard of : 17/40
Seen: 13/40
1 ptrs: 4

Exactly. He has built a tough exterior, but at the cost of having to hide who he really is.

Yeah, he probably doesn't experience physical violence/bullying, but the price is living a life that will possibly be mostly devoid of love and intimacy. I think that it speaks to the cost of many different types of people (whether that's sexuality or neurodivergence or religious faith) having to contort themselves into what their society considers "normal".

All of the Chirons in the film break my heart, but the adult Chiron has crossed a certain line where you can no longer think of his suffering as a "phase" or just something he has to get through. He's been through it. And this is who he might have to be and how he might have to live for the rest of his life.

moonlight and manchester by the sea both came incredibly close to making my list at #26 and #28, respectively. both masterpieces that should probably be higher if anything.

i think the favourite took me 4 tries to get through because i fell asleep the first 3 times. i usually like lanthimos a lot but i didn't really enjoy a single second of that one aside from acknowledging that the performances are good.

spotlight is solid and i'd watch it again but not really a movie i care about very strongly one way or the other.
criticker

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Lobster would be my top recommendation from him. Also, I'm still pissed at myself for forgetting to include it in my ballot.
Yeah, I just watched The Lobster (a recommendation from a friend who said he liked it more than The Favourite) and it's indeed a great film!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Hint Leaderboard (Current Rankings)

Each time you correctly guess a hint (and are the first person to do so), you'll receive a point.

LAMb EELYAK: 4
Apex Predator: 3
KeyserCorleone: 2
Thief: 2
Chypmunk: 2
rauldc14: 2
Torgo: 2
Miss Vicky: 1
PHOENIX74: 1
seanc: 1
Thursday Next: 1
hey I got the Easy A hint right O_O

70. Easy A - I'll mark the fk out if it makes it on here lol
69. Inception or Maze Runner

Despite the importance in relevance and society of its plot and themes, Moonlight did very little for me.

I thought it was surprisingly straight forward as I recall it and it didn’t really wow me… I knew it was gonna show here but personally I’m not with the hype. I’ve only seen it once though, on release.

As for The Favourite, that’s another story. I really liked that a lot. Very entertaining and interesting film. As with the above, I’ve also just seen this once. I would like to see it again though. I’ve not really liked much else I’ve seen from Lanthimos, but that’s maybe because this is also his most “mainstream film”. His other works are way more… out there, you could say.

I liked Killing of a Sacred Deer the most though. My man Barry Keoghan crushed it and made me realize his talent after only remembering him from Dunkirk. I saw The Lobster too but I wasn’t a fan. I’ve tried Dogtooth but wasn’t feeling it.

You're right, sorry about that. Gave you the point on the first page of this thread.
No problem, if your only doing it for the person that got it first that's fine, Thief is the one that got it first technically

No problem, if you only doing it for the person that got it first that's fine, Thief is the one that got it first technically
Oh, whoops. Forgot about that. I went to check and since Thief guessed the hint first, he got the point. Only the first person who correctly identifies the hint receives the point. Therefore, you wouldn't get a point for that film.

The trick is not minding
Seen both Moonlight and The Favourite.

Moonlight is one of those films that keeps me at arms length for reasons I couldn’t quite understand. It’s certainly a good film, but I just couldn’t connect with it meaningfully. It’s owed a rewatch.

I enjoyed The Favourite, and it’s step up from Dogtooth, which I didn’t care for very much either. I need to see The Lobster and I think he also directed The Killing a Sacred Deer, right?
He also has two new films coming out this year.

Neither made my ballot.

Oh, whoops. Forgot about that. I went to check and since Thief guessed the hint first, he got the point. Only the first person who correctly identifies the hint receives the point. Therefore, you wouldn't get a point for that film.
It's all good, I don't want to steal thief's point now

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I Have Seen

64. Manchester by the Sea (2016, Kenneth Lonergan) 108 points

Casey Affleck was an utter and complete surprise at the depth and nuance he was able to achieve in this.

This was a hard watch - emotionally, for me. I've been in that defeated, deflated, unable to get back up again situation. We all go through it at some point in our lives. And we witness Affleck's character struggle with his as life goes on, whether he likes it or not.
And that was what really made this movie. Real life. There was no clever, sage-like wisdom or heartfelt discussion where people's emotions and feelings are respected and nurtured. None of that. There was anguish, anger, reluctance to deal with it or anything, and the awkward, misguided conversations that happen - in real life. Including the not so wrapped up ending. Like life, it went on. Not completely resolved or worked out.
For that, I applaud it.

I was also impressed with the way they did flashbacks. We saw him, thinking of them and they'd play out. Well done. Especially the transformation of seeing Lee before the tragedy and the man devastated by it.
A lot of great scenes involving so many people. . . some harsh, some heartbreaking, some awkward, others filled with anger and the barbs that come out in such situations. Those mostly centered around Lee and his nephew.

One of those films I highly praise, but due to the emotional impact, I would not revisit it on my own. A much younger me would. But old me? The sadness was too stark to handle again.

62. Moonlight (2016, Barry Jenkins) 115 points

Was pleasantly surprised by this slow-paced film. In particular with the "father figure" Juan, finding such a person in such an unlikely circumstance had a wonderfully "out of real life" aspect. The same can go for Teresa; what a truly wonderful "home" that they had together.
Even the mother, though the character is a common one, the actress did very well, and I rather liked the scene near the end with the visit and the talk they had.

The romantic scenes were quite romantic.
The time with Kevin was done beautifully, especially with the shot from behind the two of them. There was a balanced portrayal of vulnerability and pleasure.
And that closing scene with the two of them and a quick shot of him as a child standing before the ocean was a very beautiful moment indeed.

Well deserving of a spot on this list.

61. The Favourite (2018, Yorgos Lanthimos) 116 points

One I had completely forgotten about when assembling my List though it may have ended up a final cut in the end, I had originally sought this out for its two leading ladies, Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz. Centering on the crass bitch-fight to be the favorite of the insecure, frumpy, temper-tantrum, and petulant Queen Anne (Olivia Colman winning Best Actress in a Leading Role Oscar) made for an enjoyable watch. I so do love Period Pieces, and that does include inappropriate comedies such as this. Going back to my youth of Monty Python's period spoofs, Rowan Atkinson's Black Adder and more recently, on Hulu's The Great with Elle Fanning and a costar of this film, Nicholas Hoult.

Very happy to see it here.

Movies Seen 20 out of 40 (50%)
1. Upper Fifty
2. Jojo Rabbit (2012) #89
3. Lower Thirty, if at all
4. Will be a Surprise
5. Mid Pack
6. Mid Pack
7. Upper Fifty
8. Hell or High Water (2016) #76
9. Unlikely
10. Upper Twenty