The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

C'mon, Speling. My family is waiting for me to react to today's reveals.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
My #13

78. The King's Speech (2010, Tom Hooper) 90 points

Lionel Logue: [as Albert prepares to light a cigarette] Well, please, don't do that.
King George VI: I'm sorry?
Lionel Logue: I believe sucking smoke into your lungs will... will kill you.
King George VI: My physicians said it relaxes the... the... the throat.
Lionel Logue: They're idiots.
King George VI: They've all been knighted.
Lionel Logue: [sarcastic] Makes it official, then.

I had nominated this as a Blind Grab in the Best Picture Hall of Fame Part 2 since I was dying to see it, and it rewarded me with everything I expected it would be.
A historical period piece chock full of actors I enjoy and several I d@mn right love. There is also a warm, endearing center to this film that focuses on the British royalty preparing to look down the barrel of the coming second world war. It involves the passing of the previous King, George V, the abdication of the throne by the first son, Edward VIII (a story all on its own), and the second son's struggles with a stammer and the national speech he would have to do, via the radio and the speech therapist he goes to, to help him overcome his stutter.
Part of that warmth was brought about from a box found by the speech therapist's grandson containing Lionel Logue's diary, his appointment book, notes from his speech therapy sessions with King George VI, and over 100 personal letters to Logue from the King. It was given to the director and screenwriter to flesh out the relationship between Lionel and "Bertie." Also, Rush and Firth read through them as well. Firth insists on one line from it that occurred following the famous speech; ("You still stammered on the 'W.'" / "Well, I had to throw in a few, so they knew it was me.").
This film is chock full of such little moments that Endearing is the ideal description for how I feel about this film that I was enthralled with from the very beginning to the notes before the credits rolled.

I have seen

82. The Martian (2015, Ridley Scott) 88 points

Following the premise of A Man Left Behind, Matt Damon does a commendable job as the determined astronaut to stay alive along keeping hope fertile as his fellow team members fight to get Clearance to return for him even though no one believes he's still alive or be so when they get there.
A story of Will and Determination pitting one's tenacity to survive that, at times, lags, still remains quite the worthwhile viewing experience.

79. Avengers: Endgame (2019, Anthony Russo and John Russo) 89 points

While I find Infinity Wars a more impacting film, this still remains a mammoth undertaking culminating the Marvel Universe's cinematic sojourn, which, in itself, is pretty d@mn impressive.

Movies Seen 12 out of 24 (50%)
1. Upper Fifty
2. Jojo Rabbit (2012) #89
3. Lower Thirty if at all
4. Will be a Surprise
5. Mid Pack
6. Mid Pack
7. Upper Fifty
8. Upper Fifty (hopefully)
9. Unlikely
10. Upper Twenty
11. Mid Pack
12. Probably Not
13. The King's Speech (2010) #78
14. Upper Fifty
15. The Raid (2011) #100
16. Mid, maybe Upper Fifty
17. Mid Pack
18. Upper Fifty
19. Mid to Upper Pack
20. Lower Fifty
21. Hopefully Places
22. Lower Fifty
23. Mid Pack
24. Mid Pack or Higher
25. A Royal Affair (2012) (One Pointer)

One Pointers Seen 7 out of 35 (20%)

Rectification List
86. 1917 (2019)

I guess Spring Breakers is one of those nostalgic comedies that has its dumb filmmaking quality but golden moments, like Good Burger?

I guess Spring Breakers is one of those nostalgic comedies that has its dumb filmmaking quality but golden moments, like Good Burger?
It’s not a comedy.

i think it could be called a comedy in the sense that it's deeply funny and satirical but it certainly has very little in common with most traditional comedies and i didn't include it on my comedy ballot even though i could've and it would've been my #1. doesn't really have jokes as much as it heightens its characters to absurd levels such that there's always a certain layer of irony that's very funny, but beneath that layer is darkness and beauty. it's hard to categorize in any genre but if i had to be descriptive i'd call it surrealist pop-poetry crime satire.
criticker

The King's Speech is a dull film for me and not something I'm interested in watching again.

Spring Breakers I really disliked, style over substance and deliberately provocative. Not my type of film.

I feel like I'm turning into Honeykid here

21/24 seen.

Although, that bolded bit will have to change.

King’s Speech isn’t something that interests me but I suppose I should see it some day.

I fail to understand what is so special about Spring Breakers, outside of Franco’s performance as Alien, who isn’t even in the movie that much from what I remember.
Oh that's good. I now have more desire to see it. Although, that is more than almost zero, so not a huge desire, but still...

I've seen neither of the last two, but have had The King's Speech on the shelf for the last 10+ years (when did it come out?) Anyway, not seen it but was interested, but now it does feel like something I've probably already seen without having watched any of it.

91 points, 6 lists
Shutter Island
Director

Martin Scorsese, 2010

Starring

Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo, Ben Kingsley, Michelle Williams

94 points, 6 lists
The Raid 2
Director

Gareth Evans, 2014

Starring

Iko Uwais, Arifin Putra, Tio Pakusadewo, Oka Antara