The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo - 2011

→ in
Tools    

Sounds like winter wanted a carbon copy of the book. The original Swedish version is there for that.

I liked the remake better, it's much more suspenseful, it has better pacing and is actually atmospheric. It FEELS like a film rather than a TV film.
Because it's so much to ask for an adaptation to at least retain the moral purpose and atmosphere without turning it into a self-parody

I have no idea where you got suspense in this film from, but it probably feels more like a film to you because of your partisanship to Fincher.

Because it's so much to ask for an adaptation to at least retain the moral purpose and atmosphere without turning it into a self-parody
Like i said mate I haven't read the book, so I can't really comment on what it should or should not have retained. I have spoken with people who have read the book though and they say that atmospherically, Fincher's film is closer to the book than the original Swedish version as is Mara's version of Lisbeth

The only thing I would agree with is that they didn't need to set the remake in Sweden, that's the biggest thing they got wrong imo. Otherwise, yeah, gotta disagree.

I have no idea where you got suspense in this film from, but it probably feels more like a film to you because of your partisanship to Fincher.
Whoa, hold the line there buddy. I like Fincher but I have NEVER been a fanboy or anything. I haven't even seen Benjamin Button nor have I been able to finish The Social Network, so i'm not sure where you got this idea of me being a hardcore supporter from

Actually, Pres, I was pleasantly surprised by Benjamin Button. For some reason I thoght I'd be bored and kept putting it off. It's definitely worth checking out.

Oh i'll def. get around to watching it too, but like yourself, just never have been in a rush. I liked the trailer when it came out a few years ago though.

Perhaps it's just that I saw it first, but the characters and plot (even in spite of their flaws) in the Swedish version still stand out more sharply in my mind than in the remake. On the other hand the American version definitely had more cinematic muscle. Certain individual sequences and images in the remake were pretty impressive. The solution to the mystery in the photographs (and photographs of the original photographer): this was something that seemed much more powerful (and made the flashbacks feel more central to me) in the remake, when I barely noticed them in the original. Overall I'd probably rate both movies about the same (
).

The Original was better

I thought it was brilliant work. Better casting than 2009 even though I didn't think that was possible -and I'm European so I'm being objective here. Loved the aesthetic, the actors, the atmosphere, the score: in short, it was a 4/5.

A system of cells interlinked
Fincher is brilliant. However, I can see some of Winter's points about the moral play turning into a parody of itself, because that sort of bothered me afterward, as well. I still enjoyed the film, but would just give it a
. The technical aspects were probably
or even higher, because I think Fincher is a real talent with his framing etc. I just wish the guy wasn't so damn bleak all the time; dude's a misanthrope.

*** and a half.
I watched this last night. This is why David Fincher is my favorite director. This movie is something that you can't just stop thinking about. He has given us so many great films. This is no exception. So insane, so cool, so real, so much suspense. It is art in a way.

You ready? You look ready.

a great feel bad christmas movie

i wish we had gotten american versions of book 2 and 3. i kinda wonder if it’s bleakness is what hurt those chances because it was such good on a technical level. i wanna say craig said in an interview once he was looking forward to continuing the series. same with fincher

mara was the stand out, obviously. i rewatch this film once a year and always have to cover my eyes for that one scene. traumatic and triggering af

Victim of The Night
I thought it was very good but I do prefer the Swedish film by enough of a margin that I will probably just re-watch that one if I wanna revisit the material.
Mara was great but Noomi > Rooney.

I really enjoyed this version although haven't seen it since it was in theaters. Never watched the Swedish version.