Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

Not at all, I just forget to add “rewatch” every so often. My ex’s favourite film. It’s showing at my favourite cinema in central London. Should be a good setting.

Not at all, I just forget to add “rewatch” every so often. My ex’s favourite film. It’s showing at my favourite cinema in central London. Should be a good setting.
So there’s a movie theater in central London that shows old movies?

So there’s a movie theater in central London that shows old movies?
It’s only Picturehouse that I know of, but I love it. I usually go to Picturehouse Central, but I’m sure if one location shows old films, others do too in some shape or form. I went to see Vampyr (1932) there, also a lot of Hitchcock. It’s a great cinema, everything very chic and old-school.

Vengence - Wow...it's written, directed and starred by B J Novak, the guy I mainly remember from The Office. He's jumping straight from the sitcom world into the status of auteur. It's really pretty good, although its cognitive demands might require a re-watch.

BJ plays Ben Manalowitz, a podcaster from New York. He had "hooked up" with a young woman in NYC, but back in her home town in a dusty, dismal corner of west Texas, she's been murdered. He arrives to report on this and meets up with her family, a non-verbal bunch, both mourning the loss of the woman as well as being asked a lot of personal questions by this urban guy from New York that they know nothing about. The inevitable cultural clashes occur when he stays with them, and tries to interview and record other people in the town who might know something about the murder.

It doesn't help that this is an isolated town, in a hinterland between several police jurisdictions, where disputes are often settled outside the law and this guy has just seriously stepped into this situation....a city guy with a podcast and no six-shooter. Eventually he learns to communicate with them, learns to understand their insularity. He's part of the story now, not just a guy with a recorder. I'm not saying how this turns out.

For me, it was a very tense movie (I do NOT want to live there), with a lot going on verbally. There's not much action or imagery, there are a LOT of words and it's challenging. The movie almost seems like a stage play. The cast is quite good in their roles as these way far away Texans, as is Novak as the interloper. Justice will be done. Somehow. Like the characters in the movie, I'm not saying and nobody should ask. We take care of our own business here.

Have seen lots of similar stuff, but this is great. A true treatise on the virtues of being single. Revolting things, families.

This is pretty good. Nothing groundbreaking, but it works. I do think this is pretty scary, actually, in the best way. Very similar to my favourite Doctor Who episode “Fear Her”.