The Gray Man - Netflix $200m Action Franchise

Tools    

Just finished watching The Gray Man. My thoughts: this big budget attempt at a blockbuster is bland, derivative, predictable and generic. It feels like a rip off of several other better action films. It fails to be entertaining or fun. The screenplay is cliched and poorly written. It has a good cast who try to do what they can with the material, but no one is able to save this thing. The Gray Man is one of the worst films of the year. My rating is a 4/10.

Welcome to the human race...
I'd agree with that except for the 4/10, which does feel quite generous.

Set designs are beautiful. Some of the fight scenes are actually well shot and at times creative (the plane fight scene especially).

But there was no story. None at all. Zero character development. It almost feels as if Netflix gave a blank cheque to the Russo brothers to replicate their Avengers success, and the Russos didn't even try.

No wonder Netflix runs into such massive losses.

If it were a half hour shorter I'd give it a
. Action flicks do not need this 2 plus hour treatment. As it stands it's closer to a
maybe a little under.

A bit off topic but ..... as usual, the book is always better. I'm currently reading the 7th of 11 (so far) in the Gray man series by Mark Greaney. A great action read with no CGI.