Attachment post scripts

Tools    

How does one get rid of the attachment post script after including a photo in a post?

When I've included a picture at the head of a submission, the final post shows the picture, but in addition the attachment link is shown as a post script. How can that be deleted? Perhaps I'm posting pictures in the wrong way.

Thanks,
~Doc

When you attach the image, use the Insert button (next to Remove). If you've inserted the attachment tag into the post like that, it'll exclude the thumbnail from the end.

Yoda, I thought I had this figured out, but I'm still getting the "attachment" post script. I use the "insert" button, but it doesn't seem to preclude the post script.

Would you be so kind as to describe the complete process? Thanks very much.

~Doc
image challenged

Yoda, I thought I had this figured out, but I'm still getting the "attachment" post script. I use the "insert" button, but it doesn't seem to preclude the post script.

Would you be so kind as to describe the complete process? Thanks very much.

~Doc
image challenged
Sure.

You go to the Post Reply page, and you hit either the paperclip icon above where you enter your text, or the "Manage Attachments" button a bit below (under "Additional Options"). This will bring up a modal window where you can upload an image, either from a URL or from your computer. Whichever you choose, when it's done uploading, it will show up in that same modal window next to two buttons: "Insert" and "Remove" (the latter will be red). Hit "Insert" and it will add a small code to the end of your post. Having that code in your post will hide the "Attachment" post script you're referring to.

Please note: this will only happen if ALL the images you've attached are inserted. If you attach two but only Insert one, it'll still show up.

BTW, if you're asking because of this post, then the issue is that you didn't hit Insert, but clicked on the uploaded filename and then copied the resulting URL into the IMG tag.

I believe I followed the directions precisely, but same result.

I did notice that when the Insert button is hit, the code that is then posted in the message screen shows the code number bracketed on both ends by "[attachment]". Should it say something else, like "IMG", or other? If so, I could simply replace what's in the brackets.

I'm using a Linux OS, so I don't know if that alters the formatting or not. I know it won't allow the site's font selections-- only a generic.

Thanks,
~Doc

I think I see the problem: the "Insert" button is literally that: it's a button with the text "Insert" on it. I think you may be taking that to mean "the little icon of a picture" that's used to embed remotely hosted images, which isn't the same thing.

The "Insert" button shows up on that little modal window you use to attach the files. You attach the image (as you've been doing without any issue), and that modal "refreshes" with the attached image at the bottom. Like this:

I believe I followed the directions precisely, but same result.

I did notice that when the Insert button is hit, the code that is then posted in the message screen shows the code number bracketed on both ends by "[attachment]". Should it say something else, like "IMG", or other? If so, I could simply replace what's in the brackets.

I'm using a Linux OS, so I don't know if that alters the formatting or not. I know it won't allow the site's font selections-- only a generic.
Ahhhh. Yeah, it should say [attachfull] and not [attachment]. In addition to using Linux, are you using a fairly atypical browser, perhaps? Opera, or something else entirely?

The Insert function already has to handle things differently depending on whether the user is using Chrome or Firefox, so if you're using another browser entirely it's possible that's what's going on. However, I'm not sure how you'd end up with the attachment URL in an IMG tag, even if this were the case.

Yes, the insert button you circled is what I've used. It surely couldn't make any difference whether the paper clip is used, or the "manage attachments" button.

And I was mistaken when I had stated [attachment] bookends the number. It does indicate [attachfull]. I thought perhaps there was another code it should say.

I'm using Firefox browser in Ubuntu 17.04 operating system.

I've noticed that a few others posters have the attachment post script to their pictures, e.g. CitizenRules. I don't know if they have the same configuration problem, or whether they're not following the proper protocol. But yet most posters who add pics don't seem to have any problem with it.

I'm sure it's something simple.

~Doc

Doc, I've been reading this thread and as a test I inserted an image following Yoda's directions, which worked fine. I use a Firefox derivative Cyberfox browser and Windows 7.

You asked:
I've noticed that a few others posters have the attachment post script to their pictures, e.g. CitizenRules. I don't know if they have the same configuration problem, or whether they're not following the proper protocol
That's because I like to arrange my photo attachments where I want them in my review. And if used the Insert method it automatically places the photo at the bottom of the post....And as I just remembered, if I edit my post after submitting it, then it does add the post script thumbnail.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	a-double-life-still-526x284.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	41165  

That's because I like to arrange my photo attachments where I want them in my review. And if used the Insert method it automatically places the photo at the bottom of the post....And as I just remembered, if I edit my post after submitting it, then it does add the post script thumbnail.
I see what you mean. IOW if you simply allow the picture to be inserted at the bottom of the post, then it appears without the attachment post script, just as you've done here.

But yet it seems to me that once the code is place on the preview post page, then wherever it's move around to, it shouldn't make any difference. And in fact many people place their photos at the beginning, for example, and there's no post script.

~Doc

P.S. In an earlier post here where I inserted a pic, I just left the attachment at the end, but it still caused a post script attachment. hmmmm..

...But yet it seems to me that once the code is place on the preview post page, then wherever it's move around to, it shouldn't make any difference.
An edit made after submitting a post, does then insert the thumbnail attachment at the bottom of the post.

I'll show you. You've seen the example post I just made, so now I will go and edit just a couple of words on it. Now go take a look at what happens to that last post I made.

And in fact many people place their photos at the beginning, for example, and there's no post script.
They're hot linking from another web site, either their own photo hosting site or from an image they found on the internet. For a test I will hot link a photo to the top of this post.

BTW, I don't like to hotlink in my reviews because after time those links can be broken by the original servers and so then all that's visible is a tiny place holder box.

To be clear, you can use the inline attachment ATTACHFULL thing at the beginning, too. It's just that the "Insert" button initially places it at the end of your post. You can copy and paste that code and move it around after that, though. As long as it's in the post somewhere, the thumbnail at the end shouldn't show up.

@GulfportDoc Regarding my replies yesterday, did either of those apply/make sense? Is what I described what you're doing (hitting "Insert" and not the little painting icon), or no?

@GulfportDoc Regarding my replies yesterday, did either of those apply/make sense? Is what I described what you're doing (hitting "Insert" and not the little painting icon), or no?
Yes, I use the "Insert" button, and not the painting icon. I'll try it again with a new review I'm posting, and will keep fingers crossed. Maybe I'll try inserting the image after the text is written, then manually move it up to the top...

Thanks,
~Doc

Well, it didn't work. SOS. Still shows the attachment postscript. It does seem funny that the command should say "attachfull", rather than "insert" or something.

I appreciate all the help from you and C.R. I might be better off skipping images altogether..

~Doc

Well, it didn't work. SOS. Still shows the attachment postscript.
I just edited your post (the one about The Post, amusingly enough, right?) to use the code manually, rather than via the button. Have a look. It's not too hard to do manually like that with the attachment ID.

Regardless of that, could you reply to the end of this post, about the browser?

It does seem funny that the command should say "attachfull", rather than "insert" or something.
Unfortunately the code name was preset, and not chosen by me, so my only say in the matter is what the button says, and I don't think people would intuit what "Attach Full" meant when pressed.

No, I wasn't questioning the use of the "Insert" button, but only wanting to be sure that the right code was appearing in the brackets. Evidently that's not the problem.

I'm using Firefox 57.0 for Ubuntu (Linux) version 17.04.

Thank you for editing out the attachment postscript in "The Post". If I were to enter the code manually rather than using the Insert button, would I just copy and paste the uploaded picture ID, then in the text body manually bracket it with the "attachfull" and "/attachfull" codes?

It seems to me that I did try the method of copying and pasting a picture into a post, and it worked, but still got the postscript.... I think.

I should try posting a picture using my office computer, which has Windows 7 on it, with Firefox or Chrome. Months back I believe that I'd figured out how to do it. Perhaps the problem is the Ubuntu O.S.

~Doc