Justice League @ the Box Office

Tools    

The Bib-iest of Nickels

What do you make of Justice League's box office results?
  • 300 million production budget (potential 165 + marketing budget)
  • set to open with 90-100 domestically (below every other DC Extended Universe film)
  • past precedent suggests short-legs (possibly below 200 million domestically, half of Wonder Woman)
  • overseas returns are, as of right now, inconclusive.
  • reviews are mixed-to-negative, but are above Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad.

I'll delve deeper into the actual numbers on Monday morning as I try to do every week in my 2017 at the box office thread, but I wanted to talk a little bit about the current numbers being reported for the new Justice League film. The projections made by analysts had expectations as high as 130 million for the film, which would have placed it a little lower than Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, a fact that could have been seen as disappointing considering the fact that Justice League was intended as DC's Avengers, whereas Dawn of Justice was more an effort to get the cogs rolling for DC's Extended Universe. Instead, unfortunately, for fans, the current projections have Justice League to open with somewhere around 90 million domestically, which would be the lowest of the DC Universe thus far, even below Man of Steel. The current mind-set I have is that this is disastrous for the film. Assuming this film performs in line with Batman v Superman and not Wonder Woman, for instance, than this film's multiplier will have it falling short of 200 million (half of Wonder Woman's domestic total), which would be very disappointing for a film of this amount.

Justice League has a reported production budget of about 300 million, and, although we don't know the marketing budget spent on the film, the marketing budget for Batman v Superman was reported at being 165 million, if the same is true for Justice League, then, that means that 465 million has been spent to make this film exist.

The actual facts for how much Justice League needs in-order to break even will likely be an article of discussion in weeks to come, but it's important to note that it's all entirely speculation and there is too large an area for error to actually make an accurate decision.

The simple truth is that there is too many factors that aren't made available. For instance, when Batman v Superman came out, everyone said it needed to make "800 million" to break-even, but the logic itself was overly simplified, everybody was simply doubling the budget. In overseas territories, I've always been informed by analysts that they received about 50% of the profit, or less, and only receive 25% in China, whereas domestic total can be sporadic, with a common percentile being 60%, but it also depends on how much weight the company can throw around (Disney recently showed a prime example of that with their demands for The Last Jedi). Something also to mention is that DVD and Blu-Ray sales have helped Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad considerably. In the United States, both took close to 100 million dollars in profit from home video sales alone, a medium for which they receive a larger slice of the pie than they do in theaters.

Regardless, something that can clearly be seen from Justice League's numbers, however, is that moviegoers, at least casual ones, aren't as interested in Warner Bros.' vision of the DC Extended Universe as Warner would like.

Does this mean that changes will happen? I would have to think so, or even, perhaps, a change as to who helms the Universe as opposed to Snyder. The way I see it is, Aqua-Man is in post-production, Wonder Woman 2 is a go, and Shazam is separate enough from the other properties that it likely won't face much backlash.

From a personal standpoint, I think that DC has made a lot of good decisions for the future in-terms of hiring new blood. I think that Joss Whedon could flourish with Batgirl. I think that Matt Reeves is a fantastic director that could do wonders with The Batman. I think that James Wan has a lot of talent and really look forward to what he tries with Aqua-Man. And Patty Jenkins was a risk that paid off.

I will watch Justice League as soon as I can, and regardless of the box office results, I will go into the film with an open-mind. I actually didn't mind Batman v Superman, pardon some flaws, and I didn't mind Wonder Woman or Man of Steel much either, the only film I really disliked from their Universe is Suicide Squad.

Another factor that they don't include is the money they got for product placement (although Wonder Woman didn't have any I think?)
Are the numbers for digital downloads available?
The money received for HBO/Sky release?

anyway, I'm a little disappointed at the weekend BO projected figures, but I'm not really surprised. This is, after all, the Divisive Cinematic Universe . Taking everything into account, Justice League has been an uphill struggle, I don't want to say too much as you haven't seen it yet and if I don't tell you what annoyed me the most then maybe you won't even notice it.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Another factor that they don't include is the money they got for product placement (although Wonder Woman didn't have any I think?)
Are the numbers for digital downloads available?
The money received for HBO/Sky release?

anyway, I'm a little disappointed at the weekend BO projected figures, but I'm notreally surprised. This is, after all, the Divisive Cinematic Universe . Taking everything into account, Justice League has been an uphill struggle, I don't want to say too much as you haven't seen it yet and if I don't tell you what annoyed me the most then maybe you won't even notice it.
Digital download sales, HBO/Sky releases, tax incentives, distribution deals, merchandise sales, synergy with other DC films, foreign DVD and Blu-Ray sales are also very difficult to find information on.

Unless it's very clearly apparent, (like, say, Monster Trucks, which led to Paramount making a 100 million dollar write-off) it can't really be said whether or not a property lost a company money. Which is why I usually approach it as whether or not a film was a success at the box-office itself, because, ultimately, that's usually the large deciding factor on whether or not a studio will continue with a series or make changes to it, etc. Because, even if a film does well on home-video, they won't set aside another 300 (maybe even 500 million in this case) million on a film for the long-haul profits it could eventually gain.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I intended to look into Justice League on Monday morning, but seeing as how I have been allotted time I hadn't expected, I'll go ahead and delve into it.

Justice League appears to have bombed!

Justice League stumbled out-of-the-gate, opening to 96 million at the domestic box-office, which puts it behind Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad, and Wonder Woman respectively. I find that this is the most interesting topic I've actually been able to discuss regarding box-office numbers, because it's the "Avengers" spectacle for DC and although Batman v Superman didn't deliver, I never would have expected Justice League to face such a harsh outcome as it has. As said, if the film is afforded a similar multiplier as Batman v Superman, it will fall a little shy of 200 million at a domestic level. The critical reviews, however, are more positive than that film, and there is a chance that it will perform better than that with the help of the holiday season. In-terms of worldwide returns, Justice League is now only a smidgen short of 200 million in foreign territories. The sad aspect about Justice League's worldwide total (which is currently at 281 million) is that it has already debuted in practically every territory, with Japan being the only major territory left. In-comparison, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice opened with 41 territories and grossed 256 million overseas.

From a purely speculative and mathematical perspective, if Justice League performed exactly the same as Batman v Superman in-terms of it's multiplier, it would make 192,576,000 million at the domestic box-office and 392,623,586 million overseas, adding up to 585,199,586 million, or, in simpler terms, a little shy of 600 million. If we continue down this rabbit hole, it will only become more complicated and inaccurate because what has been discussed, however, if we go by the average that they will receive 60% of the theater returns domestically (115.2 million) and average it as about 40% overseas (which generously excuses the fact that China eats up 75% and is the second biggest movie territory and comes out to about 156.8 million), that would suggest Warner Bros. would make about 272 million in-profit. Consider the chance of the number being inaccurate (which is probably is), and then, consider the likelihood of being so grossly inaccurate that Warner Bros. profit from theater chains will be enough to cover about 500 million dollars in-expenses (which suggests they had to receive about 80% of the total profit). If we go by the 272 million profit, Warner Bros. needs to almost double that number to break even.

I'm debating whether to see it or not. I liked Man Of Steel & Wonder Woman, but found Batman V Superman lacking. I've not seen Suicide Squad. Is it worth the money?

I think it will be just fine, on trajectory of 600 millions. Still bad for them cant cashing it much tho'

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I think it will be just fine, on trajectory of 600 millions. Still bad for them cant cashing it much tho'
Even if the trajectory was to 700 millions, they wouldn't break even off their theatrical total. They'll have to rely on home-video sales and other means. Like I said, if it follows Batman v Superman's trajectory, it will need to account for over 250 million worth of expenses before they even break-even. They can make up a lot of ground outside theaters, but it isn't a given they'll be able to make up it all. For instance, an analyst on Forbes (sketchy, at best) speculates that, even after all of it's racked up after theaters, it will still lose about 50 million dollars, best case scenario.

Even if the trajectory was to 700 millions, they wouldn't break even off their theatrical total. They'll have to rely on home-video sales and other means. Like I said, if it follows Batman v Superman's trajectory, it will need to account for over 250 million worth of expenses before they even break-even. They can make up a lot of ground outside theaters, but it isn't a given they'll be able to make up it all. For instance, an analyst on Forbes (sketchy, at best) speculates that, even after all of it's racked up after theaters, it will still lose about 50 million dollars, best case scenario.
i just see the calculation above. So their share was 60 percent in domestic and roughly 40 percent overseas? I can understand when it come from that it need around 465+280,aproximately compare to multiply the budget twice

The Bib-iest of Nickels
i just see the calculation above. So their share was 60 percent in domestic and roughly 40 percent overseas? I can understand when it come from that it need around 465+280,aproximately compare to multiply the budget twice
Roughly, it isn't a given. The exact shares are never fully reported. Although that seems very apparent is that Justice League is on-track to not make enough to cover their budget theatrically, and if the film has the same multiplier as Batman v Superman, it will need to come up with about 270 million. Batman v Superman made about 75 million in the US through DVD and Blu Ray sales, but foreign home-video sales are more difficult to come by, as are digital sales. There's also other avenues for movies as well, but 270 million, after theaters, still to cover, is disastrous.

I don't think it will make much of a difference in the long-run, except for, maybe, how they approach Justice League 2. Shazam is separate enough to not really have to worry about this backlash. Aqua-Man is already in post-production. Wonder Woman was a hit, and so, Wonder Woman 2 will face no penalty for this. The Batman is expected to have a new actor playing Batman, and will likely be feel as a "fresh start" in some respects already.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
In an update on Justice League's current standings, in its second weekend, the film dropped 56% at the domestic box office with 41 million. In-general, a film dropping almost 60% in its second-weekend isn't something to be overjoyed about, but it's actually common for superhero films and represents a considerably small percentage drop than what Suicide Squad, Man of Steel, or Batman v Superman had. Then again, one has to remember Justice League opened lower than all those films as well. This isn't that bad of a deal-breaker though, and is actually what many might have figured. I mentioned earlier that if it had the exact same trajectory as Batman v Superman, it'd come up with less than 200 million domestically, but I think most everyone always assumed it'd cross that, simply because there wouldn't be a lot of competition to battle against. I figure it will land somewhere around 230-240 million. If it followed the same trajectory as Batman v Superman worldwide, it would be a little bit shy of 600 million worldwide, as I mentioned. I assumed from the get-go myself that it would cross 600 million, but not reach 700 million. I figured it'd be about 650 million.

Considering the film had a 300 million production budget and a marketing budget that's believed to inflate the budget to about 500 million, it would need closer to a billion in-order to break-even on its theatrical total. In other words, I still stand by what I said about it being a flop.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I agree that this film is a flop. It opened lower than every other DCEU film. That's not a good sign people.

The biggest thing against this film was time. This whole DCEU is a rush job.

I agree that this film is a flop. It opened lower than every other DCEU film. That's not a good sign people.

The biggest thing against this film was time. This whole DCEU is a rush job.
With rumours about WB wouldn't delay release so people wouldn't lose out on bonuses is disappointing if true

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
With rumours about WB wouldn't delay release so people wouldn't lose out on bonuses is disappointing if true
Yeah, I read an article stating that, but an inside source disagreed with it too.

Suspect's Reviews

Some people need to start controling what movies spend for a movie because if a film lets say makes lets say near 500 million world wide and thats most peoples guesses what Jusitice League will make globally then its these studios own faults about making movies no higher then lets say 200 million to do a movie which means marketing as well. Movies can be done for this. This movie was not Avengers and the effects stunk so where was the money spent. Sorry to say studios need to fix the budgets for these big movies because its stupid wrong one film costing that much when have world hunger.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I know how they could have saved $25 million.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Some people need to start controling what movies spend for a movie because if a film lets say makes lets say near 500 million world wide and thats most peoples guesses what Jusitice League will make globally then its these studios own faults about making movies no higher then lets say 200 million to do a movie which means marketing as well. Movies can be done for this. This movie was not Avengers and the effects stunk so where was the money spent. Sorry to say studios need to fix the budgets for these big movies because its stupid wrong one film costing that much when have world hunger.
Justice League has already made more than 500 million worldwide, it is looking like it will fall in the 650 range. And Warner Bros. has opted for smaller budgets in their other films like Wonder Woman, but, even if it wasn't, they thought this film could be approachable to what Avengers made at the box-office.

Maybe they could have saved money i dont know by maybe letting superman grow a beard. I mean its normal for hair growth to happen even after death and put in a coffin. Supermans cgi cover up was so bad and wasted money. The Black Suited Superman in grizzled beard would have improved the superman scenes.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Not to defend the movie, but I don't get the obsession in social media with the non-mustache stache. I watched for it and never noticed anything obviously out of place. Not to warrant the feedback I see. For sure nothing that would have been noticed had the conversation of supes in a mustache hadn't been made to begin with.

Just trying to get perspective here on where the influence actually is.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Huh???