Dishonest movie marketing

Tools    

I think the war drum sounds being banged at very.single.transition as well as the fast black leader cuts to inject a more manic action rhythm are wearing me out. So past it's point of welcome for me. I hate modern trailers..all of those ultra serious long pauses in dialog...the whispering..it's like a G rated Dirty Harry Callahan mixed with a NIN video...hate, hate, hate modern trailers. And to top it all off, it's 95% bullsh*t, these movies. Nothing but CGI action films with stolen edginess from David Mamet in the dialog.

Yep,aahhh, ...got it all figured out (tucks thumbs into waist line pants like Mr. Furley from Three's Company), then does a phony nose sniff...

I don't actually wear pants.
I don't know why, but I thought Spielberg's Lincoln was about Lincoln's decisions in relation to the fighting of the Civil War, as opposed to just the 13th Amendment. I don't know if I just brushed past the marketing, or if the marketing had some flaws. I also wouldn't call the film bad, because it isn't. It just isn't quite what I expected.

I trusted Deer Hunter to be about a deer hunter sent to Vietnam to fight, and then his struggles there. It turns out to be the most boring film ever made, all the while being about Vietnam for twenty minutes, a wedding for an hour at the beginning, and people playing Russian Roulette, while the deer hunter hunts deer for about ninety minutes without firing a single shot. I got stupidity, not an interesting depiction of the Vietnam War.

I wonder how many moviegoers were fooled when Wes Craven's "Deadly Friend" trailer hit the cinemas? The trailer makes it look like Kristy Swanson is a crazy stalker killing the neighbourhood, and there's not a single frame of the robot in it. It is a horror film, yes, but what is implied in the trailer is certainly nothing like the film.

I adore the film with all its flaws and studio-cuttings/reshoots drama, though. And still hope Craven's intended original vision of the film can ever see the light of day.

I felt like the marketing of Slumdog Millionaire was dishonest. They marketed it as a feel good film, when in fact it was pretty depressing imho.