How do you become a Film Director?

Tools    

I have a passion for making films and would like to know how to get into the film industry.

There is no shortcut or trick: you just start making films. Even tiny, no-budget affairs. Just start doing it, think about what went right or wrong each time, then make another incorporating those lessons, and so on.

In my country ( India) they first make a name as movie reviewers. But are careful not to criticise movies of directors they want to work under.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I have a passion for making films and would like to know how to get into the film industry.
Film school.

If I had wanted to get into the film industry, I would definitely have gone to film school. NYU, for example.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Here is an excellent instructional film.

American Movie

primary buffer panel
NYU, for example.
Yeah, or St. John's. Have to make it a career, though, it's VERY competitive. Don't expect any University jobs to be available in your field (and tuition is astronomical).

How to become a film director and how to get into the film industry are two different questions.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The biggest takeaway I got from film school was meeting other people. Networking is key. Everything that they "teach" you, you can learn on your own from a book, tutorials and just making your own damn movie.

Suspect's Reviews

WE GOT MOVIE SIGN!!!
Get a camera, get some willing friends, write about something you like. Have a damn good time making it. Fail. learn from your mistakes, Wipe the slate, start again. I know that sounds rediculous but honestly thats usually how it works...the first few years of film making people usually suck...pretty bad (My early films are absolutely god awful) but eventually the processes become easier as you learn to manage your time better, you begin to realise what shots work the best where, you push yourself more and try more complex arrangements and if you keep that cycle going you'll look back in 5-10 years time and realise just how far you've come the only advice i'd offer in terms of the production process itself is make sure your script is nice and solid and tight as it can be... treat it like a foundation for the house that is in this metaphore your movie and good luck!

As for getting into the industry...networking and nepotism work best in the UK from my experience xD and I lacked the latter...so its always a good idea to get out there and talk to and meet as many people as you can, be nice, share your ideas modestly, offer to help out if you can and usually it'll reward you back in spades