Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Group Watch

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I wasn't much into the story to be honest. I did like the sneak peak at Tuscany. The country side with the gently curving hills covered in silvery gray olive trees that dot the landscape was quite lovely to look at especially with the juxdapostion of those statuesque cypress trees lining the road. That was a thing of beauty, so was Juliette after she gets all dolled up for her husband who promptly doesn't notice her efforts.

If you liked the Tuscany country side, you might want to check out the movie Under the Tuscan Sun (2003). It's about a woman who buys a rundown villa in Tuscany and fixes it up. (There's more to the story than that, but you'll have to watch the movie to find out the rest.)

Certified Copy started off okay, but everything after they went into the coffee shop and started acting like a married couple felt uncomfortable. They went from being two people who seemed to have just met and could be starting a relationship, to acting like an unhappily married couple. They were so convincing as a married couple who seemed to dislike each other that I started to wonder if they had some previous relationship that I missed.

I can understand why someone might want to pretend to be a married couple, but why would they want to pretend to be fighting? I seem to be in the minority here, but I just didn't get it.
I really think Kiarastomi is just showing us the ebbs and flows of relationships in a heightened way. It definitely isn’t meant to be as literal as you are taking it. I don’t think the characters are pretending. Kiarastomi is presenting. I think when they are talking as if unfamiliar with each other it represents how a couple feels when they have been away from each other for long periods of time. It’s quite literal here because of his job, but again I think anyone who has been in a relationship can sympathize with feeling distant from a partner emotionally at times. How do you get that spark and connection back? I ultimately think that’s what Certified Copy is driving at in that final third. I absolutely love the scene in the hotel at the end. Where Binoche is talking about remembering every detail of their honeymoon down to the smell. You can really feel her longing in that scene.

You guys have about 24 more hours to watch the film. After that, I'll choose the next host. Here are the current candidates to be the next host:

Allaby
MovieMeditation
John-Connor
Takoma11
Citizen Rules
cricket
mrblond
WrinkledMind
seanc
gbgoodies

If you liked the Tuscany country side, you might want to check out the movie Under the Tuscan Sun (2003). It's about a woman who buys a rundown villa in Tuscany and fixes it up. (There's more to the story than that, but you'll have to watch the movie to find out the rest.)
Thanks GBG, I asked the wife if we've seen Under the Tuscan Sun and she said we did, I guess we liked it OK.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I really think Kiarastomi is just showing us the ebbs and flows of relationships in a heightened way. It definitely isn’t meant to be as literal as you are taking it. I don’t think the characters are pretending. Kiarastomi is presenting. I think when they are talking as if unfamiliar with each other it represents how a couple feels when they have been away from each other for long periods of time. It’s quite literal here because of his job, but again I think anyone who has been in a relationship can sympathize with feeling distant from a partner emotionally at times. How do you get that spark and connection back? I ultimately think that’s what Certified Copy is driving at in that final third. I absolutely love the scene in the hotel at the end. Where Binoche is talking about remembering every detail of their honeymoon down to the smell. You can really feel her longing in that scene.

I understand what you're saying. I just didn't see it that way. I guess I just took it too literally, but the more they argued, the less I liked the movie. It just didn't make sense to me why anyone would choose to act like that.

I understand what you're saying. I just didn't see it that way. I guess I just took it too literally, but the more they argued, the less I liked the movie. It just didn't make sense to me why anyone would choose to act like that.
That’s fair. I really like movies where couples argue if the dialogue is good. Think that’s why I love Bergman so much. Guess that might be some insight from nto why I’m divorced. .

The first round is now over. After using a random number generator, the next person to host is...

Allaby
MovieMeditation
John-Connor
Takoma11
@Citizen Rules
cricket
mrblond
WrinkledMind
seanc
gbgoodies

Pick a movie, follow the same format as this post, and you should be good

Really weird, but maybe not do much, that I watched Dressmaker last night. I knew Citizen liked it and it has been on my radar since it came out. I’m a big Winslet fan.

When I was done watching I said on Letterboxd that this felt like a Coen brothers movie without the great bits. It was definitely going for the quirky surreal style of a great Coen comedy. I thought it lacked the sharp writing and satisfying thematic through line of those films though.

Winslet elevated it, and I wasn’t bored. It just didn’t totally work for me unfortunately.

If my name doesn’t go in the hat because I was a day early that’s totally cool. I will be reading everyone’s comments and I will be ready for the next round. Hope everyone enjoys it more than I did.

I'll watch The Dressmaker for what will be my third viewing in a day or two. It's an Australian film and I think it has that Australian film vibe to it.

Previously I'd wrote this:
The Dressmaker with it's strange mix of haute couture fashions in a remote Australian outback town in 1951 reminded me of that ecliptic Australian film, The Road Warrior. Not in the subject mater of course, but just in the way the film constructs a fable-folklore type world and in the quirkiness of it's inhabitants. It must be an Australian movie thing as it's also a bit like the Australian film The Dish (2000)
The Dressmaker in a way also reminds me of a nom from the 29th HoF The Year My Voice Broke (1987). Australian films often have a unique feel about them.