Sight and Sound 2022 poll... your list and predictions?

Tools    

??????????????????????
Hey, it could happen.

But seriously, maybe it's more of a Cahiers du Cinéma thing, but a genre movie sometimes ends up on these lists that nobody can explain how it got there and it's usually one by Michael Bay or Brian De Palma.

Ambulance ****ing rules. Best movie of 2022. Throw it on the list! And Minio’s museum while we’re at it. (Not in the basement, though. Don’t want Avengers stank getting on it.)
We can place it right next to Starcrash.

Hey, it could happen.

But seriously, maybe it's more of a Cahiers du Cinéma thing, but a genre movie sometimes ends up on these lists that nobody can explain how it got there and it's usually one by Michael Bay or Brian De Palma.
I wouldn’t be surprised if John Carpenter breaks into the list.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Nice thread and I can't wait to see the full list. Once it's revealed I'll try and work my way through any remaining top films that I haven't seen.

Here's my top ten if I was asked...

So I have no problem with Kane or Vertigo taking the top spot. For Ford I was torn between Stagecoach and The Searchers. My last spot was between Greed, Intolerance or Sunrise, or maybe a Keaton or Chaplin. So hard cutting it down to a top ten.

I wonder if the recent passing of Jean-Luc Godard will see one of his films finish high up, most like Breathless, for its importance in film history.
I do imagine Breathless will actually move up, not only because of his passing this year, but because of the political nature of his films and how so much has gone on in the past 10 years that it might draw more attention to an avante garde filmmaker who largely used his work to either make commentary on film itself or his political viewpoints. I love Godard, and he's an example of a filmmaker where I don't have to always agree with him to value what he's doing.

I love Greed and it was one of the first silent movies that really got me into that sphere of seeing them on par with "talkie" pictures. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Sunrise move up the list too! Stagecoach is more innovative it seems in the sense of exploring how storytelling can happen on film and a tighter film that the Searchers, but I don't think it gets near the emotional magnitude of The Searchers. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ford's films drop a bit because of modern day sensibilities of how American Indians should be portrayed in films.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Very hard to do, it changes every week! But something like this:

1. Metropolis
2. Citizen Kane
3. Come and See
4. The Night of the Hunter
5. Persona
6. Seven Samurai
7. The Passion of Joan of Arc
8. 2001: A Space Odyssey
9. I am Cuba
10. Casablanca
I was watching Come and See late one night last week and only got half way through it... very disturbing, but I will finish it. I haven't seen I am Cuba. I love Citizen Kane of course and The Night of the Hunter's appreciation and viewership seems to only be growing.

Hey, it could happen.

Brian de Palma is not comparable in any way to Michael Bay as a director. De Palma being on the list makes sense.

My ballot (if I got to send one in)...

Metropolis (1927)
Casablanca (1943)
Rashōmon (1950)
Lawrence of Arabia (1963)
Dr. Strangelove or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
The Godfather (1971)
Chinatown (1974)
Blade Runner (1982)
GoodFellas (1990)

I expect we are going to have a third title take the top spot. Citizen Kane to Vertigo to...I don't know what will top the list this time, but I suspect we are due for a change.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Godfather (1973)
Jaws (1975)
2001 A Space Odyssey (1968)
Do the Right Thing (1989)
Shawshank Redemption (1994)
Tokyo Story (1953)
Vertigo (1958)
Citizen Kane (1941)
Casablanca (1943)
The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

I wouldn’t be surprised if John Carpenter breaks into the list.
What people mean by the list is always ambiguous.
Assuming you don't mean the top 10 (which that is what some mean when they say, "the list," which has lead to confusion on my part sometimes), are you saying top 100 or top 250.
I'm not historian on the poll, but looking at the last one, the top 100 would surprise me. The top 250, isn't inconceivable.

ETA: speaking in terms of going from not being in the top 250 to being in the top 100 would seem like a big lift for a genre film.

You know what? After looking at the results, I got whiplash from all of the much more recent movies making the top 100.