Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Tuesday (2024)

Tuesday is an odd bird of a movie.

Vaguely reminiscent of both Death Takes a Holiday and The Seventh Seal, it is about the human obsession with cheating death - sort of.

Without giving too much away (the less you know the more you'll enjoy this), the movie starts out as a kind of dark fable with some very black humor and a touch of magical realism. However, the more the movie goes on, the more mawkish and blatantly manipulative it becomes.

Julia Louis Dreyfus is committed to her part, but seems badly miscast as a mother who is almost literally worried sick; Lola Petticrew is very appealing as her ailing daughter.

Croatian helmer Daina O. Pusić has made an intriguing feature directing debut, and while she doesn't quite know how to pull it off, it does suggest a strikingly original vision. One can only hope her future efforts might be better written.

SF = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Ultraman Rising

This is a great weekend for animation buffs, with the new Pixar easily commanding the box-office worldwide and Ultraman Rising streaming on Netflix and playing in a handful of theaters.

Unfortunately, the Ultraman movie is the one that comes off as the weakest, by far, and decidedly not nearly as fun as the recent Shin Ultraman (which was live-action).

The idea of Ultraman having to take care of a kanji baby isn't at all bad, but the execution is.

There's hardly a moment in the whole movie when you don't see what's coming a few miles away; the story beats here feel so ancient, they belong in a museum. Even younger viewers may find the movie overly predictable.

The pacing during non-action scenes is also way off. It's a movie that could have been a snappy 90 minutes, but is unnecessarily padded into a 2-hour movie.

Still, there's some pretty good animation here by Industrial Light & Magic; it's just a shame that the story isn't nearly as good as the animation.

P.S. Make sure you don't miss the mid-credits scene.

Di je Karlo?
A Matter of Life and Death (1946) - 8/10. Closer to a 7 than a 9, but still an 8.

I really, really appreciate the fanciful tone this movie presents. It makes good use of the core love story and elevates it to a consistently interesting story with inventive stakes and imagery that stimulates the imagination. It's even got a good sense of humour, provided by the foppish french messenger who always seems like he's having so much fun.

The one major flaw is a courtroom scene near the end where out of nowhere, they start comparing America to England in ways that have absolutely nothing to do with the movie or its story. At least the dialogue was well-written and the actor who played the american prosecutor was excellent - he says every line with full conviction - but still, it's like the movie paused for 10 straight minutes.

Flaw??

Objection!!

Inside Out 2 (2024) This is the best film of the year (so far). The animation is fantastic and the performances are wonderful. The screenplay is excellent. Inside Out 2 is a beautiful, intelligent, heartfelt film. It's not quite as terrific as the first one, but this is a joyful and hopeful film that resonates with viewers, young and old.

Inside Out 2 (Dolby Cinema)

I enjoyed this one so much the first time around, I just had to watch it again, ASAP - only this time in Dolby Cinema instead of IMAX.

Both versions are outstanding; Pixar is truly at the top of their game with breathtakingly detailed animation and an eye for detail that can't be matched by their competitors.

While the whole voice cast is awesome, I still can't believe how good Maya Hawke (as anxiety) and AdŔle Exarchopoulos (as Ennui) are here; they are some of the most memorable animated characters of the last decade.

It's also striking how well teenage girls are responding to the movie, judging from the audience reaction at both of the showings I've attended - not that the adults aren't enjoying it quite a bit, too.

In any case, it's great to see a summer movie finally drawing large crowds again, after the lackluster start of the summer season films that came before it.

Dead Mans Shoes (2004)

This is a really good film, shot on a budget Shane Meadows style. After hearing the director (and Paddy Considines) narration through the film it was clear that they wanted to shine a light on small communities and how desperation can force some folk into drugs. Taking and dealing. For the money there are really good scenes and and memorable sets. The overall narrative backs that up. Besides the violent nature of the film there is a heart to it and lot's of regret. Shout too to Gary Stretch as Sonny who is imposing and not an actor but is clearly malevolent. Love a revenger but this makes it visceral.

SF = Z

Trailer:

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Children Who Chase Lost Voices (2011, Shinkai) - C+
The Garden of Words (2013, Shinkai) - B-

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Inside Out 2 (2024)

Nothing much to add on the reviews above...brilliant movie all around.

The Quiet Earth -

A movie that deserves to be called that other Twilight Zone movie from the 1980s, it's a prime example of nailing a first attempt with it being New Zealand's entry into sci-fi. It owes a lot to Omega Man, I Am Legend, etc., but I think it surpasses those movies, mainly for why I bring up The Twilight Zone: it has a more satisfying mystery and it is more thoughtful, especially in terms of its spirituality. I can't say anything about Vincent Price in The Last Man on Earth because I haven't seen it, but Bruno Lawrence surpasses Heston and Will Smith as this movie's last man. Besides how well he expresses Zac Hobson's guilt over possibly being responsibile for his unfortunate situation, he's more convincing when it comes to how that much loneliness would impact one's sanity. I don't want to reveal how bonkers the height of his solitude gets, but I'll at least give you a hint: a nightie is involved. Even though New Zealand was obviously not as involved in the Cold War as the U.S. was, the way the movie uses it as a backdrop deserves credit; besides, it's nice to see the conflict from a relative outsider's perspective for a change. The movie also matches its more popular and larger budgeted brothers not only for how empty its world seems, but also for going big whenever Zac makes it a toddler's playground, if you will. Also, it only has a few special effects, but the ones it does have are delightfully trippy and hold up despite the movie's age.

This advice may be impossible to follow, but I would encourage you to not look at a poster or the DVD cover of this movie because it spoils the ending. Without hopefully spoiling it even further, I'll just say that it may be on par with 2001: A Space Odyssey's for how it is bound to stay with you and for how well it encourages discussion. It ends up being "where is everybody" sci-fi that deserves to be mentioned alongside the other movies I've mentioned and the best TV episodes in this sub-genre. Oh, and it manages to do this without the use of vampires or mutants, believe it or not.

Swamp Water - Ran across this 1941 drama on youtube and, despite never having heard of it, took a chance based on the strength of the cast. Dana Andrews, Walter Brennan, Anne Baxter, John Carradine, Ward Bond and Walter Huston among others. But what really made up my mind was Jean Renoir directing his first American production. When it first started I had misgivings about the setting. I figured it would be the usual bunch of Hollywood actors awkwardly attempting Southern accents and painfully failing. But it surprised me. Nobody would mistake it for cinema verite but it didn't come off as pandering either. Maybe it was Renoir's influence or the writing or the talent of the assembled cast but any misgivings are set aside and the story allowed to take center stage.

This takes place in the Okefenokee Swamp in Georgia and Dana Andrews is the actual star despite only having been given fourth billing. He plays Ben Ragan, son of strong willed Thursday Ragan (Walter Huston). Widower Thursday has remarried the much younger Hannah (Mary Howard). That dynamic works itself into the plot as well but strictly as one of those peripheral issues that turns out to have a direct bearing on the denouement. Ben constantly chafes at Thursday's attempts at controlling his life and his trip into the swamp to search for his lost dog is the impetus for the the rest of the story. Despite having been warned by his father about staying out of the swamp Ben runs into trouble but finds an unexpected presence. There's also a mystery of sorts and villainous rivals and a femme fatale.

You''ll find yourself drawn in to the narrative. You might be fully cognizant of it being a conventional setup but the bad guys are so hissable and the protagonists understated that you're comfortable buying into it. Renoir reportedly clashed with executive producer Darryl F. Zanuck throughout the production and was so angered with the changes Zanuck made after filming that he terminated his contract with Twentieth Century Fox. I don't know what that film would have looked like but I'd love to have checked it out. As it stands though, this wasn't a waste of time. A decent enough offering.

75/100

Based on @Torgo's rec, I will be watching The Quiet Earth

The Quiet Earth -

A movie that deserves to be called that other Twilight Zone movie from the 1980s, it's a prime example of nailing a first attempt with it being New Zealand's entry into sci-fi. It owes a lot to Omega Man, I Am Legend, etc., but I think it surpasses those movies, mainly for why I bring up The Twilight Zone: it has a more satisfying mystery and it is more thoughtful, especially in terms of its spirituality. I can't say anything about Vincent Price in The Last Man on Earth because I haven't seen it, but Bruno Lawrence surpasses Heston and Will Smith as this movie's last man. Besides how well he expresses Zac Hobson's guilt over possibly being responsibile for his unfortunate situation, he's more convincing when it comes to how that much loneliness would impact one's sanity. I don't want to reveal how bonkers the height of his solitude gets, but I'll at least give you a hint: a nightie is involved. Even though New Zealand was obviously not as involved in the Cold War as the U.S. was, the way the movie uses it as a backdrop deserves credit; besides, it's nice to see the conflict from a relative outsider's perspective for a change. The movie also matches its more popular and larger budgeted brothers not only for how empty its world seems, but also for going big whenever Zac makes it a toddler's playground, if you will. Also, it only has a few special effects, but the ones it does have are delightfully trippy and hold up despite the movie's age.

This advice may be impossible to follow, but I would encourage you to not look at a poster or the DVD cover of this movie because it spoils the ending. Without hopefully spoiling it even further, I'll just say that it may be on par with 2001: A Space Odyssey's for how it is bound to stay with you and for how well it encourages discussion. It ends up being "where is everybody" sci-fi that deserves to be mentioned alongside the other movies I've mentioned and the best TV episodes in this sub-genre. Oh, and it manages to do this without the use of vampires or mutants, believe it or not.
Glad you really enjoyed it! I was really taken in by the ambiguity surrounding everything which was going on. The questions left open really linger with you. I also think it accurately portrays the ways an apocalypse could alter someone's personality and cause personal conflicts to radically shift in an instant once other threats are introduced.

Glad you really enjoyed it! I was really taken in by the ambiguity surrounding everything which was going on. The questions left open really linger with you. I also think it accurately portrays the ways an apocalypse could alter someone's personality and cause personal conflicts to radically shift in an instant once other threats are introduced.
Your take on the ending?

WARNING: spoilers below
I like the idea that Zac is in Purgatory. He took part in a pretty grave sin - destroying human civilization - and he redeemed himself by sacrificing his life to destroy the cause of it. It's not a sacrifice that got him into heaven, but it sent him to the next best place.

Your take on the ending?

I like tbe idea that Zac's in Purgatory. He took part in a pretty grave sin - destroying human civilization - and he redeemed himself by sacrificing his life to destroy the cause of it. It's not a sacrifice that got him into heaven, but it sent him to the next best place.
That's an interesting take.

From what I remember, the second effect was triggered right as the explosives went off, so since it was already established that the three characters were spared from the first effect since they were going to die anyways just as it happened, another interpretation is that the other two characters were killed and that Zac was spared. Whether the plan to stop the calamity (in this case, a future third effect) worked is unclear, but what's important is that the logistics of Earth were permanently altered.