What Makes A Top Movie Star?

Tools    

If it was just acting, actors such as Forrest Whittaker would rule but that's not the case.
In my opinion, there are a number of factors that contribute to becoming a top movie star:
Luck
Charisma
Looks
Social networking
Box office success and following
Acting ability

There are other factors, as well.
What do you think?

Make a better place
you nailed it

Ha ha. You crack me up!
I have heard the same thing. Actors with large heads,

Fulkin' idiot ego cases...just put a telephoto lens on and fire away...small headed craftsmen need attention, too.

I would say tons of luck. How many young people move to Hollywood & never make it.

Being prepared when they come to set & working hard.

Well, I think good acting and a superhit movie..

Lmao a big head figuratively seems to be standard attire for many stars, but I ve also read that many movie stars literally have a big head.
Besides all the qualities listed, I think the top stars - such as Harrison Ford , Julia Roberts and going back to classic box office draws like Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn and Clark Gable (and even Tom Cruise who is not always thought of as well, but always seems to me to be in movies I so enjoy seeing)- I believe there s two qualities all mega stars have;
- They illuminate a character that seems distinct, unforgettable and so real you feel as if they are a person you know.
-They connect with the audience- there is some moment , usually early on in the film but not always- when the future and/or plight of the character becomes your mission as well, and you root for them. Even if the character is flawed (such as Bobby/Nicholson in Five Easy Pieces) you somehow empathize with them, or come to understand their point of view. Cruise does this in Rainman, when he evolved from being a somewhat shallow jerk to a loving brother who, for perhaps the first time in his life, outs someone else s needs before his.

Think of the stars you admire most- wouldn't t you like to be invited to the wedding in Steel Magnolias, have Indiana Jones at your side in the uncharted jungle, or dance with Fred Astaire?

They all seem like real (or even, super real) people who you 'd like to know.
Btw I m new here and I d like to say hi to you all, and that this seems like a fun and thought provoking forum I m happy to be part of.

PS That was supposed to be "puts someone else s needs.." This is not the first time auto correct has mangled my words and I expect, alas, it won 't be the last.

I think you nailed it with everything except 'Social Networking' The actor/actress with the most recent rise (who I consider a top-tier actor/actress) is Jennifer Lawrence and she checks off just about every box on the list.

Luck: Lead in a popular franchise others would kill for
Charisma: One of a kind
Looks: Absolutely
Box office success and following: Hunger Games
Acting ability: Won an Oscar for Silver Linings Playbook

Luck: Lead in a popular franchise others would kill for
Is this luck? Surely she auditioned for it and was judged to be the best for the role. I don't think of it as luck when i get hired for a job after a job interview.

Is this luck? Surely she auditioned for it and was judged to be the best for the role. I don't think of it as luck when i get hired for a job after a job interview.
She did audition for the movie but I believe she auditioned for one of the lesser roles in the first one, but then the director liked her so much that they offered her the lead role of Katniss.

So basically she applied to be an Imperial Officer but was offered the role of Jedi.

Lawrence was also cast as Mystique in X-Men first class right around the time she landed the Hunger Games role, meaning she got her foot in the door in TWO big franchises at almost the exact same time which would go on to be box office behemoths.

I think the real test of a top Movie Star is someone who can work and release a film anytime of the year.

- Can they sell a big budget movie
- Do they elevate simple genre fare into hits
- Can they work prestige films