Voices of the Dead Song Tournament

Tools    

1. Johnny Cash - Cocaine Blues vs. Queen - The Show Must Go On

2. Snot - Stoopid vs. Audioslave - Be Yourself

3. Hank Williams - I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry vs. David Bowie-Starman

4. Klaus Nomi - Simple Man vs. Aaliyah - Try Again

5. Janis Joplin-Kozmic Blues vs. Broadcast - Come On Let's Go

Except for "Me and Bobby McGee" - I don't get the Janis Joplin thing.

6. Michael Jackson - Who Is It vs. Nell Carter - Gimme a Break! Season 3 Opening Credits

Just the wrong MJ song to nominate.

7. Elvis Presley - A Little Less Conversation vs. Gary Moore ft Phil Lynott - Out In The Fields

8. Mike + The Mechanics - All I Need is a Miracle vs. Motorhead - Line In The Sand

Please include me in he next one of these,

Freddie needs more love...

Please include me in he next one of these,

Freddie needs more love...
Wasn't expecting you. I don't think you've done a Song Tournament before?

1. P.M. Dawn - Set Adrift on Memory Bliss vs. George Michael - Too Funky

2. Demis Roussos - Spring, Summer, Winter and Fall vs. Lynyrd Skynyrd-The Needle and the Spoon

3. Laura Branigan - Self Control vs. Whitney Houston - How Will I Know

4. Ray Charles - I'm Busted vs. Amy Winehouse - Rehab

5. Linkin Park - Figure 09 vs. Prince - When Doves Cry

6. David Bowie - Blackstar vs. The Doors-The Unknown Soldier

7. Isaac Hayes - Walk On By vs. Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine

8. Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - I Won't Back Down vs. Jim Croce - Time In A Bottle

ROUND 1, PART 2

Excellent use of Spandau Ballet sample.

2. Demis Roussos - Spring, Summer, Winter and Fall vs. Lynyrd Skynyrd-The Needle and the Spoon
I wish Aphrodite's Child stuff had been nominated. It's fantastic.

Ooooh, tough one. I'm going to have to go with Bowie here, even though I love that Doors song. Bowie just appealed to my sense of timing here, and the engineering is quite beautiful.

Isaac Hayes was the first artist I started to sing along with when I was a kid. And that Bill Withers song is the one that's played to death. I always preferred Lovely Day. In fact, that's his irresistable one for me. It always puts me in a good mood. Had that been up against Hayes, I would be sitting here for an hour, trying to choose. Isaac Hayes is one of my all time favourites.

8. Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - I Won't Back Down vs. Jim Croce - Time In A Bottle
The Tom Petty song's cool, but Time in a Bottle is quite striking.

1. Johnny Cash - Cocaine Blues vs. Queen - The Show Must Go On

2. Snot - Stoopid vs. Audioslave - Be Yourself

3. Hank Williams - I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry vs. David Bowie-Starman

4. Klaus Nomi - Simple Man vs. Aaliyah - Try Again

5. Janis Joplin-Kozmic Blues vs. Broadcast - Come On Let's Go

6. Michael Jackson - Who Is It vs. Nell Carter - Gimme a Break! Season 3 Opening Credits

7. Elvis Presley - A Little Less Conversation vs. Gary Moore ft Phil Lynott - Out In The Fields

8. Mike + The Mechanics - All I Need is a Miracle vs. Motorhead - Line In The Sand
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

ROUND 1, PART 2

2. Demis Roussos - Spring, Summer, Winter and Fall vs. Lynyrd Skynyrd-The Needle and the Spoon - I dig the Aphrodite's Child version, too..but his solo render is equally impressive and more specific to him.

3. Laura Branigan - Self Control vs. Whitney Houston - How Will I Know Both good tunes but Whitney is gold every time

5. Linkin Park - Figure 09 vs. Prince - When Doves Cry No contest here

6. David Bowie - Blackstar vs. The Doors-The Unknown Soldier - The Doors are great but Bowie's final tune gets really good about 4 minutes in. For those with the attention span and patience will be rewarded with old school Bowie music.

8. Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - I Won't Back Down vs. Jim Croce - Time In A Bottle - I like both tunes but Croce's is way more moving and that always wins for my taste

5. Linkin Park - Figure 09 vs. Prince - When Doves Cry (nothing beat LP in my heart except for Avenged Sevenfold and I hate Prince with a passion)

ROUND 1, PART 2

1. P.M. Dawn - Set Adrift on Memory Bliss vs. George Michael - Too Funky-A little bit of an upset but I'm not big on either.

2. Demis Roussos - Spring, Summer, Winter and Fall vs. Lynyrd Skynyrd-The Needle and the Spoon-Surely my favorite song of the tournament.

3. Laura Branigan - Self Control vs. Whitney Houston - How Will I Know-Was never a Whitney fan, although that was probably my favorite song of her's. Still not enough.

4. Ray Charles - I'm Busted vs. Amy Winehouse - Rehab-Not my favorite song of Amy's but I am a fan.

5. Linkin Park - Figure 09 vs. Prince - When Doves Cry-Good song from Linkin Park but that's tough competition. I just nominated that Prince song and I was shocked when it was eliminated in the first round.

6. David Bowie - Blackstar vs. The Doors-The Unknown Soldier-It takes alot for me to go against The Doors.

7. Isaac Hayes - Walk On By vs. Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine-Good match but not too tough a call.

8. Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - I Won't Back Down vs. Jim Croce - Time In A Bottle-Thats never been one of my favorites from Mr. Petty. I think it's more of an anthem then something great to listen to.

round 1 part 1

1. Johnny Cash - Cocaine Blues
2. Audioslave - Be Yourself (hated both of these)
3. Starman
4. Klaus Nomi - Simple Man
5. Janis Joplin-Kozmic Blues
6. Nell Carter - Gimme a Break! Season 3 Opening Credits
7.Gary Moore ft Phil Lynott - Out In The Fields
8. Mike + The Mechanics - All I Need is a Miracle

ROUND 1, PART 3

1. Falco - Rock Me Amadeus vs. Stone Temple Pilots - Vasoline

2. Andy Gibb-I Just Want to Be Your Everything vs. Dennis Wilson - Thoughts of You

3. Dio - Rainbow In The Dark vs. The Monkees - Cuddly Toy

4. Viola Beach - Boys That Sing vs. Muddy Waters - Mannish Boy - Interesting match-up LOL!

5. Glenn Frey - You Belong To The City vs. Elliott Smith - Needle in the Hay

6. Robert Palmer - I Didn't Mean to Turn You On vs. Grateful Dead-Casey Jones

7. Morphine - Wishing Well vs. Bob Marley - Three Little Birds

8. Soungarden - Fell On Black Days vs. Linkin Park - One More Light (watch the video)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
ROUND 1, PART 2

both came pretty close but ended up with George Michael

Pretty hard to bypass a Skynyrd tune

this was actually a tough call and bounced back and forth on it

I was surprised to hear Winehouse being pretty good, but not enough for Ray

Another VERY tough call with Doves Cry being one my favs of Prince

Love Unknown Soldier WAY too much

and again - tough call

gotta go with Time In A Bottle