History in Photos (warning: some disturbing content)

Tools    

..not shove the photo he won the prize for down poster's throats which I made perfectly clear and right before you posted that photo, and that wasnt of a dead child. People have the right to decide for themselves what gruesome photos they see - it's not up to you. You obviously missed the earlier comment by the forum owner.
How is that photo gruesome? Yes, the child is dead, but there's nothing particularly gory about it. There's no blood. You can't see his face. Generally speaking, anything that would be acceptable in a PG-13 movie is acceptable here as well.

There's a photo of a person on fire on page 2. Where's your outcry over that? I think someone clicking on a thread titled "History in Photos" should expect to encounter some at least mildly disturbing imagery.

People have the right to decide for themselves what gruesome photos they see - it's not up to you.
I'm sorry, but it's not up to you to decide. The OP didn't place any restrictions & there are worse photos in the thread. Photographs are very powerful, including yours of a Holocaust victim.

I thought I'd make a thread that documented important, cool, insignificant, interesting times in our history. Feel free to post something if you think it would fit.
I presume the OP meant significant ... times?

You can't win an argument just by being right!
There's a photo of a person on fire on page 2. Where's your outcry over that? I think someone clicking on a thread titled "History in Photos" should expect to encounter some at least mildly disturbing imagery.
I havent seen all the photos!
Jesus pretty simple request, isnt it? Placing photos in a link rather than the image is giving people the choice. Why on earth do you think there's a huge campaign on social media to stop people posting photos of tortured children and animals without a warning or hide mode. Think about it. Do you see me posting tortured animal photos in the animal thread?
Mind blowing.

Jesus pretty simple request, isnt it? Placing photos in a link rather than the image is giving people the choice.
From the site rules:

No Mature Content
In a nutshell: this site is PG-13. This means no images containing nudity or overly graphic violence. Exceptions may be made for things like classic art, or violence that is comical in nature. Ultimately judged on a case-by-case basis. If something is borderline, please ask a moderator to make a ruling.

That image is neither violent nor overly graphic. It's fine to request that people use links, but unless Yoda or a mod says so, they're under no obligation to honor that request.

To be perfectly honest, I can't tell you where the line is here. Obviously these images have historical significance, and I think it's reasonable to treat them slightly differently as a result. And I certainly do make a distinction between things which are overtly disturbing and those that only become so when you read more about them.

That said, whether or not someone is obligated to mark anything potentially disturbing (and I'm happy to make individual rulings as necessary), I would hope that people would generally agree to when asked. Obviously, some of this stuff can't be unseen.

To be perfectly honest, I can't tell you where the line is here. Obviously these images have historical significance, and I think it's reasonable to treat them slightly differently as a result. And I certainly do make a distinction between things which are overtly disturbing and those that only become so when you read more about them.

That said, whether or not someone is obligated to mark anything potentially disturbing (and I'm happy to make individual rulings as necessary), I would hope that people would generally agree to when asked. Obviously, some of this stuff can't be unseen.
Thank you. And I wasn't even asking for myself. I was asking for other posters who might be upset by photos of a dead kid that we all saw at the time not long ago. Not sure why I was asked about my outrage. I didn't express outrage but made a simple request. A little bit of empathy for others goes a long way, does it not. If I had been outraged I would have reported it, which I did not. As for it being pg13 - that's a stretch. Since when are real dead toddlers pg13?
This concept has been discussed at length on social media on why you have some empathy before posting disturbing images. The photo of Anne Frank I posted is on her slip cover for the diary. I should know - I have several copies.

I think you should edit a 'disturbing content within' or whatever thing into the title of this thread then no one will have an excuse for viewing it. Your (Yoda, i mean obviously) posts suggest you yourself think they are worth hosting on your site because of their significance.

Well, i think sensitive people wouldn't click on a thread with a clear content warning.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I presume the OP meant significant ... times?

Nah, the photo can be insignificant if people want. We all assume History in Photos would be of significant events, so it would be nice to have interesting, but maybe insignificant ones too. I guess I could have worded it better.

Also, the comparison of Anne Frank's photo versus the dead child is bogus. They are completely different.

Suspect's Reviews

Also, the comparison of Anne Frank's photo versus the dead child is bogus. They are completely different.
Obviously they are different. Hard to compare two things that are the same.

This might just do nobody any good.
Oldest known selfie

Beauty pageant winners in 1922

A bicycle build for four, includes a sewing machine

Boy receives a new pair of shoes

Audrey Hepburn, Anthony Perkins and Pippin the Deer

Priceless look on that child's face.

A generation of scientists at the Solvay Conference, 1927.

Dang, that looks like the Reference page of some theoretical physics thesis.

Nikola Tesla with his magnifying transmitter in operation

Albert Einstein at Nassau Point, Long Island 1939

The Graves Of A Catholic Woman And Her Protestant Husband, Holland, 1888

Painter Of The Brooklyn Bridge,1914

Disneyland Employee Cafeteria In 1961

The First Ever Underground Train Journey, Edgware Road Station, London, 1862

(although they looked more like coal going in carts.)

OMG the painters on the BB. Tummy turning.

OMG the painters on the BB. Tummy turning.
Risking people's lives just so something looks nice.

o wait they got paid probably