The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Prologue was a decent, but shallow, game, but it was £20 and everyone knew it was a makeweight before the next numbered GT game. Sport doesn't have either of those excuses

One of my oldest PSN friends came from the first days of GT5P. We suffered through the never happened release dates and were part of a great PS forums group that created events and cultivated a following. The guy was hands down one of the best roller racers out there.

I messaged him about getting Sport and he said no chance.
Oh well, we got to feel self righteous for a few hours, at least.

To anyone who's still interested, the Steam Link is 90% off in the Autumn sale with various flavours of heavy discount also available on 3rd party retailers. That's basically free.

I'll repeat what I always say when the Link goes on sale - It's a great peripheral for a gaming PC provided you've got a reasonably modern wired router (with network cables attached to the PC and the Link). Wireless (again, you'll need a decent wi-fi protocol on your router) is perfectly viable for games which aren't action focused but the input lag makes it a bit of a pain to wirelessly stream shooters etc. You'll need a controller but don't bother with the Steam branded one - Just hook up an Xbox (Xbone or 360) or PS4 pad and you're good to go.

The extremely low price hints at either thousands of unsold units and/or a Link 2 on the horizon but I wouldn't worry too much. I can't see a Link 2 bring anything more than 4k support and maybe some apps.

I use mine a lot.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Watch this blowup in my face.

I am not going to jump on post-Holiday sales, for fear of them merely being price drops. GTS for $29 and NFS for $34 look like nice deals. Let's hope they stay that way. Come on Life is Strange, let's get down to the $10 mark.

I can see some hope for GT Sport. NFS is a flaming dumpster fire. Life is Strange is essential, and I've been hearing good things about the prequel, which I'd initially not bothered about because of the different dev team and loss of Ashley Burch.

This sale I've bought Wolfenstein 2, Hollow Knight, Cook, Serve, Delicious 2, Necrosphere ... and Destiny 2 PC.

I've been wanting to check on Wolfenstein and Hollow Knight for GOTY purposes ... but Destiny!

there's a frog in my snake oil
Just I Expect You To Die for me, for £11 (40% off). Looks like it's going to be super short, 6 scenarios maybe, but what there is is pretty damn ace...

There's something about solving deadly puzzles while chuffing on an imaginary cigar that's very satisfying

Genuinely giggled at the Saul Bass style Bond intro too. Neat use of VR to be amongst the extending lines and twirling designs.

NFS is the perfect game for me. I wouldn't want anyone to be confused about my sensibilities.

To add to my excesses, the Xbox Game Pass is £1 for the first month so I signed up (for a month - I've got a calendar note to cancel before I get billed the £7.99 usual price) to see what it was all about. I've now got stuff like ReCore (which I really want to try) and the Halos (which I really don't) sitting on my account.

It looks like a decent instant game collection, albeit one padded somewhat with 360 and OG Xbox titles, if you're new to the console.

I can even download the Play Anywhere titles to my PC!

Finished the final proper ending to NieR Automata, and my 5th or 6th overall. I think it's time to stop.

Wow.

It'll take a few days to fully process everything but I can safely say that I've never played anything quite like it before. The much vaunted story is trite and obvious at times but it's told with such confidence and passion that the game gets away with it. Just.

Combat's the big disappointment and, while totally serviceable, it's not a patch on Platinum's other titles Bayonetta and MGR Revengeance. The customisation options are neat but, by level 30 or so, you're extremely powerful no matter what spec route you choose to go down.

It's a minor gripe in the grand scheme of things because NieR Automata is one of the most stylish, most interesting games I've ever played.

Where will it come on my GOTY list? I'll need to think about that.

Golgot has all the forms you need to fill out, before joining the club.

What a rat. I'll buy it. Bitcoin work for you?

I'll sell it for eleventy twelve bitcoinsies* but I can't promise that the box won't have been opened and a raspberry Pi (with Nontendo written on it in red marker) shoved in its place.

*plus postage

Came to eat a plate of crow.

I was so wrong about the Black Friday sales. Apparently they weren't price breaks. All the games I looked up were back to full price, save GT Sport @ $49.99.

What a maroon

Could be worse, you coulda bought some imaginary land on an imaginary moon

Star Citizen is selling virtual plots of land for up to £96 a pop
As soon as I have concluded my research on bitcoin diversification, I will investigate that avenue of commerce.

I'll sell it for eleventy twelve bitcoinsies* but I can't promise that the box won't have been opened and a raspberry Pi (with Nontendo written on it in red marker) shoved in its place.

*plus postage
My counter offer is 3,000 Kool Aid points.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Dammit, I'm down the rabbit hole with the SC hate crew. It is quite fun down there...

This guy does at least seem to be a legit dev, going by his history. Which would make this anecdote, if true, kinda in line with other insider gossip...

I worked with Chris years ago at DA, and was so frustrated (as was the entire team) with him coming in every 4th day to work and changing everything based whatever he had seen the night before from some movie or tv show.

One of the things we used to laugh about (and his coding skills were at this level back then too) was him sitting at avid suite editing console and slowly pushing a random button, then looking up at the screen for a minute, then slowly pushing another random button and looking at the screen (this would go for hours). And yet Robert Rodrigues would swing by, sit down at the avid, and start typing on it like a 1950’s secretary on meth and then walk away 20minutes later with several shots completed.

I’m here because I know the pain that is in his studios, and I was genuinely curious if he would *actually* make a game this time. Turns out I was completely wrong about where his skills are: He makes money, not games.
Whereas this guy, an erstwhile leak from the current team, just got me with this old snark...

I mean the same year roberts started shopping around and prototyping SC/SQ42 in 2011, Sony came up with the first PS4 prototypes, manufactured them, released them in November 2013, released the ps4 pro in 2016, added VR support and hardware and will release another new console sometime around 2021

SC will have been in development since the PlayStation 3, 4 and 5

this is all absolutely normal, FYI, since the average game takes at least one or two console cycles to release
---

This is all kinda schadenfreude-y, but I do actually want SC to kick something interesting out the door. I just always got a bad smell off the predictive entrails, mainly thanks to Chris Roberts helming. And this latest round of Jpeg sales ain't exactly clearing the air :/

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
It wasn't mightily expensive and I'll probably be able to sell it for a profit .... it's a SNES Mini!

Yeah, I know.
Mate it’s worth it. I’m just struggling though. I’d never played a Mario game . My dad banned vg when we were young. Been predominantly playing Mario world and Donkey Kong and I’m having a very tough time with both. Don’t get me wrong I love them, esp Mario, Love the feel and gameplay it’s just a very steep challenge. I thought I was a decent gamer having finished dark souls, those two games are harder than dark souls imo. Haha.