Citizen's Top 62, 1930s Actors & Actresses

Tools    

on occasion I think I have when it was necessary. And get this, her favorite old time actress? Barbara Stanwyck! HUGE fan
Stanwyck is one of my all time favs too. My wife likes old movies pretty well. She watched them way before I ever did. I use to think old movies weren't for me. Ha, now I can't image not watching them.

Have a good evening! I'm off to watch an old movie

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
My #30 Favorite 1930's Actor is

Edward Everett Horton

Filmography Biography

Edward Everett Horton was one of the most successful, comic character actors in Hollywood. He appeared in 178 films! And often stole the show with his unique comic styles. I think he's hilarious and he livens up the dullest movies and makes them worth watching. A very talented man!

I love Edward Everett Horton. I was wondering if he would show up on your list, and I'm thrilled to see him listed.

I've seen him in a bunch of movies, but I don't always pay close attention to the opening credits of the movies, so I usually find out that he's in the movie when I see him on screen. I don't always love the movies that he's in, but I always love him in the movie.

I've only seen him in a handful of movies from the 1930s, and most of them star either Cary Grant or Fred Astaire. Of course, my favorite movie with him is Arsenic and Old Lace, but that's from the 1940s.

Gave Top Hat a spin this morning, didn't notice that on his resume at first - was wondering why Mark was banging on about Rogers & Astaire movies when both are surely 100% certain to show up much later on CR's lists Anywho, enjoyed most of the song and dance numbers, the comedy was a bit laboured in places but amusing in others so a bit hit and miss for me on that front .... had seen it before but waaaay back in my youth so it was a timely refresher.

Also gave Angel a run through this afternoon, hadn't actually seen that one before. Far less of a role for Mr. Horton in that one but he again played his supporting part well enough and he's obviously a solid enough player.

I love Edward Everett Horton. I was wondering if he would show up on your list, and I'm thrilled to see him listed.

I don't always love the movies that he's in, but I always love him in the movie...
Well said GBG! EEH always ads spice to any movie he's in. I always wish he had a bigger role. I'm glad to hear your a fan too!

Gave Top Hat a spin this morning, didn't notice that on his resume at first - was wondering why Mark was banging on about Rogers & Astaire movies when both are surely 100% certain to show up much later on CR's lists
Yeah...I'm deliberately not wanting to repeat the same movies over and over and yes Top Hat will be listed under at least 2 stars on this list...hmmm I wonder which two

BTW, I'm a huge Rogers & Astaire fan, so they won't be forgotten.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Question: do you prefer Ginger dancing or doing comedy?

I've seen a couple that my room mate suggested and was pretty impressed by her comedic chops

Question: do you prefer Ginger dancing or doing comedy?
Both! She's one of my favorite comic actress. Lucille Ball was once on Johnny Carson and she was talking about Ginger Rogers her was a good friend of hers. Lucille said Ginger was the funniest person she had ever known. She's got piazza!

I like that you qualified Lugosi with the fact that he's not a great actor coz he's not. But he's iconic and despite his shakiness is still my favourite Dracula; i don't even like the film that much i just think he nailed it or maybe it's that i was fed the image of Dracula he created growing up in other media. Either way his role had a massive impact on pop culture and that's transferred over to me, i pictured him when i read Bram Stoker's novel actually. Max Schreck's depiction suits the novel much more but i didn't see that until years after i read it.

The Roaring Twenties is a masterpiece think i've posted enough about that here for this life haha. Priscilla was fantastic, haven't seen her in anything else i don't think.

Have no idea who this is - Edward Everett Horton. Have heard Holiday is excellent though so i'll get to him at some point.

Have no idea who this is - Edward Everett Horton. Have heard Holiday is excellent though so i'll get to him at some point.
Poor Horton as he hears another "Who?"

Big EEH fans needn't get their knicks in a twist over me saying that, I've just been desperate to work a Horton Hears A Who! reference in somewhere ever since he was introduced to the thread - it's no more and no less than a simple desire from a simple person

Yeah that was masterful i'm so happy for you haha.
You literally made my day Sir

though I have a feeling both these stars will be in your list, I just finished watching Dark Journey from 1937 with Vivian Leigh and Conrad Veidt. A worthwhile spy film/romance that had a few spy gadgets you may enjoy Citizen or may already enjoy if you've already seen this. Rather liked how they sent war information, thought that was rather clever.
I rated it
+++

though I have a feeling both these stars will be in your list, I just finished watching Dark Journey from 1937 with Vivian Leigh and Conrad Veidt. A worthwhile spy film/romance that had a few spy gadgets you may enjoy Citizen or may already enjoy if you've already seen this. Rather liked how they sent war information, thought that was rather clever.
I rated it
+++
I haven't seen that one, thanks for telling me about it. Almost anything with Vivian Leigh is worth watching

My #29 Favorite 30's Actress is

Alice Faye
Filmography Biography

Today Alice Faye is not a name that a lot of people remember. And no, she was not in King Kong, that was Faye Wray. Alice was a torch singer and dramatic actress who starred in a number of Fox studio musicals and was a favorite of audiences. In her earliest movies she had a more flashy look and was seen as a Jean Harlow type. But after Daryl Zanuck who was head of Fox studios had her image softened, she became a big star.

In 1944 Alice Faye walked away from her movie career at the height of her stardom. Her last film is Fallen Angel and many of her scenes were cut to make rook for an upcoming star Linda Darnell.

When Faye saw a screening of the final product, she wrote a note to Zanuck, went straight to her car, gave her dressing room keys to the studio gate guard, and drove home, vowing never to return to Fox.
And she never did make another movie until 1962.

Some of my favorite 1930s films of Alice's are:

In Old Chicago (1937) Oscar nominate for best Picture

Alexander's Ragtime Band
(1938) Oscar nominate for best Picture

Both of those also star Tyrone Power, Don Ameche.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alice Faye.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	38297  

Not conversant with her - I'll try to check out a couple of her movies. Not big into musicals (don't mind some though) but I am a lover of good torch singers. I'll be back (no holding breath though as it'll be a matter of hours at the very least )

Hmmmm, so far most of her 30s films I've looked for are not easy to locate for free with my limited resources

Did manage to find and watch You're A Sweetheart and although not listed as a comedy under genres on IMDb it clearly is (sadly not a great one though). The copy was a poor one but just about watchable - Ms. Faye gave a reasonable performance and although the songs generally aren't the greatest her voice is clearly pretty decent.

Wonder if I can find another....? (Other than Stowaway or Poor Little Rich Girl)

edit: Also found Wake Up And Live though only a serialised version on YT which certainly isn't perfect but the quality isn't too bad. It's primarily an acting role for Ms. Faye this time and given much better quality material to work with she presents as both a likeable and good performer in what I found to be a generally entertaining affair.

have not seen any of your work; Old Chicago sounds familiar and one I'd like to check out. I may try to find a few of her songs on youtube to hear her voice. Like @Chypmunk, I do LOVE a good torch song