MoFo Fantasy Baseball - 2017 Signups

Tools    

It's baseball time. Ohyeah.gif

First thing's first: if you're not in this league, there may be room for you! It's a pretty competitive league, so you'll want to have played fantasy baseball before, and playing Roto-style, in particular, is a big plus. If you want to play, just reply and say so, and we'll do our best to make room. Note that we try to give priority to a) more active users and b) returning owners.

If you played last year, you may already have an invite waiting for you at the same email addresses you used last year. If you don't have one, please PM me the address you're using and I'll have another sent.

Okay, onto the draft time. I'm suggesting a tentative date of Sunday, March 19th at 1:00 PM ET (10:00 AM PT), with a backup date a week later (the 26th) at the same time. Please reply by letting me know your availability for both dates. IE: "I can do both the 19th and 26th" or "I can do the 19th but not the 26th."

I'll keep a running list of confirmed owners here;
  • Yoda (Freedonia Ducks)
  • seanc (Mudville Nine)
  • rauldc14 (Peanuts&Crackerjacks)
  • Banknotes Harper (High-Level Arbitrage)
  • Sedai (Clockwork Angels)
  • Fabulous (The Empire)
  • mark f (Dodgers)
  • TONGO (The Naturals)
  • Adamantium18 (Hakuna Machado)
  • nostromo87 (Weapon X)
  • Powdered Water (Return of the Roids)
  • mikeython1 (Done and Dunn)

In. I can do either date.

In! Can I please do good for once?
Sure! But first, help me out with this:

Please reply by letting me know your availability for both dates. IE: "I can do both the 19th and 26th" or "I can do the 19th but not the 26th."

I would also like to get in on the ground floor here and propose, as I have many times before, that we consider doing an auction-style draft this year as opposed to the snake format.

Pros - fun, more control over your team construction, gives everyone a fair chance to own certain players (e.g. everyone gets a shot at owning Mike Trout)

Cons - the draft takes a longer time, we'd need almost everyone to draft (auto-drafting makes it less enjoyable)

I would be amenable to an auction. As Tim says, you'll really want to make sure you don't miss it, and you'll need to block out more time. It's definitely a move away from a more casual playstyle, but it's more fair and you get a shot at every player.

I will say that, because this is such a big shift, we'll need a lot of agreement on the switch. Not unanimous, but more than just a simple majority vote, too. Please weigh in ASAP! We want to decide one way or the other as soon as we can, so people can mock draft and prepare accordingly.

A system of cells interlinked
It's that time of year again!

Unsure on the auction for now - I need to learn more about it before making a decision.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about it. We implemented it in my other league two years ago and it's generally beloved.

Quick summary: Each manager starts with a sum of money (~$260). There is a turn order that is followed throughout the draft. On each manager's turn, they nominate a player, *any* player for auction and put in a starting bid (usually just the minimum of $1). From there, a clock starts (~30 seconds) and all managers can, at any time, increase the bid on the player (and it will reset the clock). In our league, once the clock falls below a certain threshold (like 10 seconds), it will only reset to that threshold when the bid goes up. Eventually, everyone will drop out and the player will go to the manager with the winning bid (the espn interface has a "going once, going twice, sold" sound byte as the time trickles down). Then it's the next manager's turn to nominate a player and the process resets. You also have to keep $1/player slot that you have left to ensure that you fill out your whole roster. So, if you have $5 left and 3 more roster slots to fill, you can't spend more than $3 on your next player.

That's a very good synopsis by Tim. It really is very simple but also quite a bit more strategic. You might not want advice from such a poor player but the biggest thing with an auction is have a clear game plan. I would say the biggest mistake you can make is leaving a bunch of money on the table and that doesn't feel good at all.

Quick heads-up: Patrick (Frightened Inmate No. 2) is bowing out this year because of the time commitment involved. He was a good owner and I told him he's welcome to come back next year or beyond.

This means we should probably have room for nostromo and PW, at least.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm in, at least at Yahoo, so Ill report I'm in here too. Either draft date is OK. Does the auction only apply to the draft? In other words, are waivers the same as they've always been?

I'm in, at least at Yahoo, so Ill report I'm in here too. Either draft date is OK. Does the auction only apply to the draft? In other words, are waivers the same as they've always been?
Does effect trades. You have to stay under your cap. Wsiver players are $1. If I'm not mistaken you can set it up for them to be bid on, then if they pass through they are $1.

Hmmm, the cap thing is optional, I believe. Ditto for changing waivers. Wasn't planning anything like that because I figured this one change would be big enough, but I'm open to whatever.

I'll dance granted there's an opening. Either date works, though I'd prefer the 26th as I have a paper due March 20th, which would be the day after the first date. Not a big deal either way since I can get the paper out of the way early if March 19th is chosen. I lean towards snake draft.