The Most Popular Movie of All-Time?

Tools    

I am from India and when I ask people who have never watched an English movie in their lives to atleast name one English movie they heard of,the answer is always Titanic.Sometimes it is Jurassic Park.Sorry guys,Star Wars ain't that popular in India

I agree that Star Wars is the most popular,not because of some sale statistics but it just seems that everyone knows the film and lot of its details even without seeing it.
ya this is kinda what i was thinking and i came here to post star wars too. it seems like everybody and their mommas know what Star Wars is at least in america

I am from India and when I ask people who have never watched an English movie in their lives to atleast name one English movie they heard of,the answer is always Titanic.Sometimes it is Jurassic Park.Sorry guys,Star Wars ain't that popular in India
That's because India only began to integrate itself into the world economy in the 1990's, so the most popular hollywood movie has to be one of the 1990's. Most Indians that now watch movies weren't able to in the 1970's. when Star Wars was released.

In Brazil Star Wars is perhaps not the most famous movie as well. Though, I am thinking globally: in Europe and the US, Star Wars is easily the most famous movie of all time.

So... if you made a film that cost you $1 billion... and it made $2 billion in tickets and DVD sales, you'd be better off than someone who made a film for $10 and they made $2 billion as well.

You both made $2 billion, you're both the same?
If two billion is the net profit, yes. What matters is the net profit: You purchase the inputs for X and sell the output for Y, what matters is not Y/X, as you seem to believe, what matters is Y - X = Net profit.

Which is more successful sort of depends on what you're trying to measure. Total profit is a good way of measuring, well, total profit, but it doesn't tell you who's making better decisions, because it does not account for risk.

There's also the fact that the money is tied up in the production and can't be used for anything else while that's true. Because of this second reason, it would generally be more beneficial to have a film that makes slightly less total profit, but costs a lot less than one which makes slightly more. So even total profit could be harmed depending on the time frame you're looking at, because more money is tied up for longer.
True, you have to discount the production period with interest.

Seeing the title to this thread I instantly thought Star Wars, however, I reckon some of the bigger titles from Walt Disney have had equal, if not, more popularity over time then the likes of Titanic, Star Wars or Gone with the Wind. Just think of all the merchandise sold, the time advantage, the kid factor, and the appeal those films have to a wider audience (both genders, parents, grandparents and children).

That's because India only began to integrate itself into the world economy in the 1990's, so the most popular hollywood movie has to be one of the 1990's. Most Indians that now watch movies weren't able to in the 1970's. when Star Wars was released.

In Brazil Star Wars is perhaps not the most famous movie as well. Though, I am thinking globally: in Europe and the US, Star Wars is easily the most famous movie of all time.

Not just money.Something tells me Titanic is the most famous movie of them all

Not just money.Something tells me Titanic is the most famous movie of them all
I am not disagreeing with you. I can conceive that Titanic is the most famous US movie in India because it is the most popular US movie released over the past 20 years and since India has become more inserted into the global culture over the past 20 years it is natural that the foreign movie that is more popular there is Titanic.

Titanic is indeed more popular than Avatar in the US since Titanic had 9% of all US film admissions in 1997, compared to 7.5% of Avatar for 2009.

Seeing the title to this thread I instantly thought Star Wars, however, I reckon some of the bigger titles from Walt Disney have had equal, if not, more popularity over time then the likes of Titanic, Star Wars or Gone with the Wind. Just think of all the merchandise sold, the time advantage, the kid factor, and the appeal those films have to a wider audience (both genders, parents, grandparents and children).
Snow White, Disney's biggest movie ever, had only 5% of the total admissions in 1937, compared to 18% for Star Wars in 1977.

The Lion King also had a larger proportion of total admissions at 8%, being Disney's most popular movie of all time in relative terms.

Anyway, the most famous/biggest film director in the Western World is Spielberg, and Lucas is second. Spielberg has 3 films that had 8-12% of all US admissions in a given year, Jaws, E.T. and Raiders of the Lost Ark, while Lucas' original Star Wars triology had also about 7-18% of all admissions in 1977-1983. Most famous director in Japan is Miyazaki, who has 3 movies with 10-15% of all admissions in Japan in a given year. Spielberg is second place, however, even in that country.

So overall, Spielberg's movies can be considered to be the set of most famous movies ever made: Jaws, Raiders of Lost Ark, E.T. together with the original trilogy of Star Wars.

Snow White, Disney's biggest movie ever, had only 5% of the total admissions in 1937, compared to 18% for Star Wars in 1977.

The Lion King also had a larger proportion of total admissions at 8%, being Disney's most popular movie of all time in relative terms.

Anyway, the most famous/biggest film director in the Western World is Spielberg, and Lucas is second. Spielberg has 3 films that had 8-12% of all US admissions in a given year, Jaws, E.T. and Raiders of the Lost Ark, while Lucas' original Star Wars triology had also about 7-18% of all admissions in 1977-1983. Most famous director in Japan is Miyazaki, who has 3 movies with 10-15% of all admissions in Japan in a given year. Spielberg is second place, however, even in that country.

So overall, Spielberg's movies can be considered to be the set of most famous movies ever made: Jaws, Raiders of Lost Ark, E.T. together with the original trilogy of Star Wars.
Who do you think is the most famous actor in the world(An actor whose name is known world over)?

I can't answer for other countries.But people here(or atleast for a majority here,the biggest Hollywood actor is Tom Cruise.Arnold is also very famous.I study/work in India's leading medical college and people have no idea of Tom Hanks/RDJ/Denzel/Sandler/Stiller/De Niro.

Exterminate all rational thought.
Lucas only directed one of the original trilogy movies, and his only other quality movie directed was American Graffiti. I'd say he's more well known as a writer than a director.

Lucas only directed one of the original trilogy movies, and his only other quality movie directed was American Graffiti. I'd say he's more well known as a writer than a director.
Perhaps. But he directed 4 Star Wars movies, all of which were massive commercial success (even though the last three weren't actually good).

Also, George Lucas can indeed be regarded as one of the top 10 greatest directors of all time just because of Star Wars. Yes, seriously.

The individual impact of Star Wars on cinema is greater than any other film ever made and by a very large margin. Citizen Kane is said to be a very influential film, however, it's influence is restricted to cinema while Star Wars' influence goes beyond movies.

Thinking in terms of popularity, influence over other films and influence over popular culture, Star Wars is a king on all these aspects. Star Wars spawned a religion. It is without a doubt at least one of the four or five greatest movies ever made in terms of landmark status, if not the single greatest. In any popular poll taken on an English speaking country, Star Wars always wins over all other movies.

On the UK, Empire magazine had a poll in 2001, these were the results:

"Star Wars (1977) was the best film ever made, according to this polling, with its Must-See Moment: the final attack on the Death Star.
The Empire Strikes Back (1980), its sequel, was in 2nd place, with its Must-See Moment: the appearance of the AT-ATs."

Take any popular movie today: it is just a remake of Star Wars, featuring special effects, epic battles and fantasy and science fiction. All the biggest movies since Star Wars were genre movies. What were the biggest movies since Star Wars in terms of box office?

In the US these were the biggest hits:

The other Star Wars movies - Science fiction
Raiders of the Losk Ark - Fantasy
E.T. - Science fiction
Lion King - Epic fantasy (it features talking animals!)
Titanic - Historical epic, Made by James Cameron, who decided to make movies after he watched Star Wars!
The Lord of the Rings trilogy - Epic fantasy
Avatar - Science fiction, also made by James Cameron
Harry Potter Series - Fantasy

Before Star Wars, the popular movies were westerners and gangster movies. They also made movies that focused more on acting and on character development. After Star Wars movies focused more on special effects, epic battles and spectacle. No other movie has had such a dramatic impact over the film industry and over many artists.

Of course, Ingmar Bergman continued to make films as if Star Wars never happened, but many directors were profoundly influenced by Star Wars.

Titanic is not fantasy or science fiction but it is an epic movie that is not set on a contemporary setting and special effects are a huge part of the movie. So it belongs to the same category as Star Wars.

In Japan, the second largest film market after the US, the three highest grossing Japanese movies were all genre movies (Miyazaki's Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle, all epic fantasy movies, though Miyazaki's work didn't have much influence from Star Wars, much of his work is very similar in terms of tone and subject, specially Castle in the Sky).

Who do you think is the most famous actor in the world(An actor whose name is known world over)?

I can't answer for other countries.But people here(or atleast for a majority here,the biggest Hollywood actor is Tom Cruise.Arnold is also very famous.I study/work in India's leading medical college and people have no idea of Tom Hanks/RDJ/Denzel/Sandler/Stiller/De Niro.
In terms of actors I am not that qualified to have an opinion.

Tom Cruise is the first actor to show up on my mind when I think of actors. Maybe he is still the most famous one, currently. Though another one might be Brad Pit or Di Caprio.

In India people don't watch many Hollywood movies because your country has a huge domestic film industry. However, in Brazil, where over 90% of film admissions are for US movies (about the same proportion as in the US itself), people know many American actors.

Brazil was always a cultural colony of the US in many ways.

Exterminate all rational thought.
Your opinion. Lucas stole everything from Kurosawa, that's a fact, he's admitted that in interviews. Star Wars is a samurai movie. Just because of the immense popularity of the Star Wars franchise, does not a great director make. Well known? Ridiculously so, but he's not even close to being in the top 10. Again familiarity and popularity do not make him great. Those are 2 separate things. I personally wouldn't even put him in the top 50. His directing is not innovative or original by any stretch of the imagination. Writing on the other hand, he is very talented. Came up with Star Wars and Indiana Jones. His talent as a writer is almost unparalleled. His talent as a director is average at best. My opinion.

I also think you are confusing commercial success with greatness. By that logic Michael Bay is a great director.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Star Wars is really more fantasy than sci-fi. If you think about it, Lucas stole from The Wizard of Oz. Luke is Dorothy, Han the Scarecrow, C-3PO the Tin Man, Chewbacca the Cowardly Lion, R2D2 Toto, Darth Vader the Wicked Witch, the Emperor the Wizard and Lando Calrissian Glenda.

Star Wars is really more fantasy than sci-fi. If you think about it, Lucas stole from The Wizard of Oz. Luke is Dorothy, Han the Scarecrow, C-3PO the Tin Man, Chewbacca the Cowardly Lion, R2D2 Toto, Darth Vader the Wicked Witch, the Emperor the Wizard and Lando Calrissian Glenda.
So then, really, Star Wars is about the US election of 1896! We're through the looking glass here, people.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I was going to say -- I feel like The Wizard of Oz is the most popular movie.

I mean, doesn't that movie play every Thanksgiving on TV? And it's so beloved and been around forever.

I can certainly see why Star Wars would be thought of as #1, though.