2009 Summer Box Office Predictions

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Well Ladies and Gentlemen, the 2009 Summer Spectacular is upon us. Next weekend marks the kickoff with X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

What are your predictions for overall box office champ?

May
May 1 - X-Men Origins: Wolverine Current Total: $150.99 million
May 7 - Star Trek Current Total: $147.64 million
May 15 - Angels & Demons Current Total: $46.20 million
May 21 - Terminator Salvation
May 22 - Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian
May 29 - Up

June
June 5 - Land of the Lost
June 19 - Year One
June 24 - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

July
July 1 - Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs; Public Enemies
July 10 - Bruno
July 15 - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
July 31 - Funny People

August
August 7 - G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
August 21 - Inglourious Basterds
August 28 - Final Destination: Death Trip 3D

Now, I know this isn't all the movies being released during the summer, but these are what should be the "blockbusters" for this summer. Your thoughts, predictions?
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Jerry Shaw, you have been activated.
Here are my predictions -

May -
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

June -

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

July -
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

August -
Inglourious Basterds

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Hmm, this should be interesting. How much will that leak hurt Origins?

1. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
2. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
3. Terminator Salvation
4. X-Men Origins
5. Night At the Musem
6. Ice Age
7. Angels and Demons
8. Up
9. Star Trek
10. G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra
11. Land of the Lost
12. Public Enemies
13. Bruno
14. Year One
15. Funny People
16. Final Destination 3-D
17 Inglorious Basterds

Suspect's Reviews

Here are my predictions -

May -
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Wow, really? You think that Wolverine will beat out the other 3 possible heavyweights (Star Trek, Terminator: Salvation or Night at the Museum)? That's mighty high expectations you have of Mr. Jackman. Personally, I'm thinking it'll be a toss up between Star Trek or Terminator. Plus, TUS makes a very good point. "The leak seen 'round the world" could hurt ticket sales for Wolverine.

Harry, Tranformers, Wolverine will probably dominate. I think all three will top 250 mil. The best: Lord I Hope it is Wolvie.

However, and although I think it will be a great time out for the family, if NATM beats out Trek...then well.......................times they are a changin'.

Wow, really? You think that Wolverine will beat out the other 3 possible heavyweights (Star Trek, Terminator: Salvation or Night at the Museum)? That's mighty high expectations you have of Mr. Jackman. Personally, I'm thinking it'll be a toss up between Star Trek or Terminator. Plus, TUS makes a very good point. "The leak seen 'round the world" could hurt ticket sales for Wolverine.
Well, i was kind of in between with Wolverine and Terminator, but i just feel Wolverine will do better. There's a fair bit of hype about it, and maybe the leak could work in their favor, people have seen the unfinished copy and they want to see the full thing, but i guess we will have to see.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
But people who have seen the leak are not impressed and will no longer pay to see the movie. The word of mouth isn't the best.

Trek? It will make money because it is trying to jump start the franchise again. Will fans of the original series/movies like the new direction? Who knows. At least it will be better then 2 hours of people standing in one position and pretending to be hit by missiles and then say "Shield's Up" like 20 times.

u forget rob zombies haloween sequel aug. 28

Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen will reign surpreme at the summer box office. Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince is really it's only competiton.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen ($425 million domestic)
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ($310 million domestic)
Terminator Salvation ($250 million domestic)
Up ($225 million domestic)
Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian ($205 million domestic)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

He clearly said this above. Please read before you post.

Now, I know this isn't all the movies being released during the summer, but these are what should be the "blockbusters" for this summer.

Ya I thought the first one made 375 but it was more like 325, this has me wanting to adjust it to 425 as I think the sequel will gross 100 million more than the original. My reasoning, my Mom works at a daycare and she says the kids still play Transformers more than anything else.

NO-- I do not forget that bit of crap- how in the Hell do you think that steaming pile of doodoo will ever top 110 mil? just askin'

:s ick:

The King of Movies
I will rate each movie with what it's chance is. The rating system is:

Smash Hit - Alot of money - Disapointing - Box Office Bomb - Non-Block Buster movie

Smash Hit = The movie makes a ***** load of cash and breaks box office records
Alot of money = Typical Blockbuster gross
Disapointing = The film breaks even but was expected to make more
Box Office Bomb = A complete and utter fail.
Non-Block Buster movie = The film is not a Block Buster so i can't realy rate it.

May
May 1 - X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Alot of money
May 7 - Star Trek - Alot of money
May 15 - Angels & Demons - Non-Block Buster movie
May 21 - Terminator Salvation - Smash Hit
May 22 - Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian - Disapointing
May 29 - Up - Non-Block Buster movie

June
June 5 - Land of the Lost - Non-Block Buster movie
June 19 - Year One -Disapointing
June 24 - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Smash Hit

July
July 1 - Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs; Public Enemies - Disapointing
July 10 - Bruno - Smash Hit
July 15 - Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Smash Hit
July 31 - Funny People - Disapointing

August
August 7 - G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Box Office Bomb
August 21 - Inglourious Basterds -Disapointing
August 28 - Final Destination: Death Trip 3D - Non-Block Buster movie

Now, I know this isn't all the movies being released during the summer, but these are what should be the "blockbusters" for this summer. Your thoughts, predictions?
You don't read good, do you?

Ease up on 'im, fellas.

Anyway, here's hoping 7th does another one of his little contests, even though every single participant ends up looking stupid every year. I'll have to give this some more thought before weighing in, but I do have a few general notions:

I do think the leak will hurt X-Men Origins: Wolverine, but not to a huge degree. I think it'll also be hurt by the fact that we've been seeing the same trailer for it for 6 months. Most other films, it seems, throw in some new, interesting footage in the weeks leading up to the release, to reignite any interest that might have dulled from having seen the same trailer again and again. I could be talking out of my you-know-what, but this strikes me as important.

That said, there's a rumor goind 'round that we might get the first trailer from Jame Camerson's Avatar in front of this flick, which might help a bit, given the fanboy-fervor surrounding it. I don't think it'll be there, because I think we'd have heard for sure by now, but you never know.

Star Trek is really interesting. I think it'll definitely be a hit, but it's definitely tough to tell if fans of the stuff up to this point will sign on. One would hope so, because it looks fantastic, and almost everything J.J. Abrams touches turns to gold these days. I know they've done something in the film that allows them to branch off into a new direction without interfering with the precious Trek canon, but I don't know if that'll attract old fans, so much as stop them from protesting in the streets.

Really torn on Terminator: Salvation, too. I expect it'll do very brisk business, but I do wonder about that rating. I don't like it, though I'll see the film anyway.

I don't think Transformers 2 will top $400 million, but it'll open huge and anything less than $300 million domestic will be shocking.

I think most of you guys are right on the money with Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian. The first was a big hit and I think a lot of people, like myself, went without much enthusiasm, and were pleasantly surprised, and most of them will make time for the sequel.

Anyway, enough random babbling. I'll have to come back later with some more detailed predictions.

1. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
  2. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
  3. Star Trek
  4. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
  5. Up
  6. Terminator: Salvation
  7. Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian
  8. Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
  9. Angels and Demons
  10. G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
  11. Funny People
  12. Public Enemies
  13. Land of the Lost
  14. Bruno
  15. Inglorious Basterds
  16. Year One
  17. Final Destination: Death Trip 3D
I'm not even going to try and guess dollar amount, but I see Harry Potter taking the crown for overall ticket sales over the summer period. With it coming out later in the summer, it has no other competition. I see it performing much like The Dark Knight.

No question, Transformers will take in some big numbers, but unlike Harry Potter, it's got other movies, mainly Harry Potter, to compete against.

Comedies usually don't do so well during the summer months, so I see them performing well, just not blockbuster-well. I think I was a little too gentle with Bruno, but we'll see.

Star Trek will play into the hands of a lot of Trekkies, but I don't think it'll pull in enough to overtake the top two.