2008 Box Office Prediction Quiz

Tools    

I forgot all about this. What time today, or tonight, is too late?
Still time - send 'em.

My word! I still forgot about this. I'm sorry, sweetie! Damn! It's not like I would have won. I was simply curious as to how close I could get at guessing them accurately. Hell, I don't even go to the theater. Double hell, I don't even know what's coming out, for the most part. I'm too obsessed with movies of the past, to pay attention to the remakes of today.
I know I won't be added in now, but if I do find the time to do these late tonight, I'll PM them to you, just for the hell of it. What can I say. I like guessing games.

Well not a bad start to the season with Iron Man. Most entries had Iron man on at least the top 5, but I do not think anyone had it higher than number 2. Right now it sits at around 177 million and should have another good weekend. It will be tough for it to break 300 million I think but it should have some legs with all the good reviews. ABout 375 million is what it is going to take to break the top 10 all time list. I see the chance for 2 maybe even 3 films doing this, but with the economy slacking it will make a difference I think. Oh well nice begining either way. I loved The Iron Man film and I hope it stays strong.

I'll be pretty surprised if more than one film breaks the top ten. I'm guessing none will, but we'll see.

Iron Man is indeed on a pretty good pace, and it should have good legs, but it hasn't faced any real competition yet, either. I think its appeal skewed just a little too heavily male to be a really huge, long-running hit. It's a roaring success, to be sure, but I think its appeal was just a tad too limited to rank among the all-time box office smashes. And I agree, I think it'll fall a bit short of $300 million. Probably $280 million or so.

I don't even remember what I sent you. I didn't expect to win, anyway. I was just goofing. That, and I don't pass around my address. No offense, of course.

I said all that, and I don't even know if you are doing like you did the last time around. With giving a movie away. You did that, right? That game was before I got too involved with the board. I can't recall. Duh me!

Originally Posted by Yoda
I'll be pretty surprised if more than one film breaks the top ten. I'm guessing none will, but we'll see.
Oh, I think Indiana Jones will do it. But nothing else.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Well I didnt offer prizes this go around sorry Dest' . I know where you live anyway: In my Heart darling.

Awwww, I think!

I do remember that much. I put Indiana above pretty much everything else. I do believe so.

I have to find that freakin' PM.

I hope to be posting everyones answer soon anyway since cutoff has passed so we can all laugh at each other. Heres a bit of yours Dest':

1.What movie will be the highest grossing film during this timeframe? (2 points)

Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (It's probably Iron Man, but I have to say Indie!)

2. How much will the above film gross? (3 points)

374 Million

3. What will be the highest grossing "r" rated movie for this time frame? (2 points)

The Happening

4. List the top 5 grossing films. (2 points for each properly positioned film)

Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Iron Man
The X-Files 2
The Happening
The Incredible Hulk

Looks pretty good.

Oh sure, post mine first, so they can all laugh at me . . . boo hoo hoo!

The funny thing about my answers, well, to me anyway, is that I only knew about maybe 10 movies coming out this year. That left me a tad limited.

was The Dark Knight one of the 10 movies you knew? i'm guessing not with your top 5 grossing

i wish i saw this thread earlier, i would have liked to join in. i'll live tho

Certainly wouldn't be a huge stretch. But $374 million is a tall order. I think my prediction was $330m, but if I'd thought about it a bit more I probably would've chosen it to fall just short; like $350m or so.

Anyway, I've certainly got Indy coming in at #1 this summer, and if any film breaks into the top ten that'd be the one. I hope I'm wrong and it busts up all sorts of records.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
These were my answers that I sent to 7thson and don't mind sharing

1.What movie will be the highest grossing film during this timeframe? The Dark Knight

2. How much will the above film gross? 200 mil

3. What will be the highest grossing "r" rated movie for this time frame? Forgetting Sarah Marshall

4. List the top 5 grossing films.
1. The Dark Knight
2. Iron Man
3. Wall- E
4. Indiana Jones: KOTCS
5. The Incredible Hulk

5. Yes or no: will any film break the top ten all time list? no

6. Which film will gross highest over budget? (Most profitable) Forgetting Sarah Marshell

7. List the total dollar amount of the top three grossing films.
200 mil
175 mil
150 mil

8. Which film will flop the most, lowest profit vs. budget-Speed Racer

9. What will be the highest grossing film for the following months:
May- Iron Man
June- The Incredible Hulk
July- The Dark Knight
Aug- Wall-E

10. What film will have the biggest opening day total?
The Dark Knight

11. How much will the above film gross on opening day?
50 mil.

I think you were supposed to PM them to 7th, but the deadline's passed anyway. Also, Forgetting Sarah Marshall isn't eligible, as it was released before the start of the timeframe, and WALL*E is going to be released in June, not August.

Factual issues aside, it'd be completely unheard of for the top movie of the summer to gross just $200 million...and even more unheard of for it to gross only $200 million after grossing $50 million in just one day.

Certainly wouldn't be a huge stretch. But $374 million is a tall order. I think my prediction was $330m, but if I'd thought about it a bit more I probably would've chosen it to fall just short; like $350m or so.
Yeah, but that's my order. I haven't got a clue. I never keep up with these things. I just need to know when they hit DVD.

Honestly, I thought I'd be the only one to list Indiana. I thought that all you guys would go for Iron Man.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I think you were supposed to PM them to 7th, but the deadline's passed anyway. Also, Forgetting Sarah Marshall isn't eligible, as it was released before the start of the timeframe, and WALL*E is going to be released in June, not August.

Factual issues aside, it'd be completely unheard of for the top movie of the summer to gross just $200 million...and even more unheard of for it to gross only $200 million after grossing $50 million in just one day.
I get it... I suck, I suck

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull will likely be near $150-million from its opening weekend alone and will breeze past $200-million before the end of the second weekend, for damn near sure. Whether or not it has legs to get up to $375 for the entire summer, we'll see. But it's going to make sh!tloads of money, fo' shizzle.