Horror Movies

Tools    

A PHD in Whiskey and Stonerology
Good horror movies... hmmm. "Good" and the horror genre don't really go hand in hand but I think there are a few I could pull out of my hat here.

Halloween (original)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
Psycho
Rear Window (not really horror per say... )
Alien
Evil Dead I - III
They Live
The Devil's Rejects

On second thought, several of those should be scratched off the list as well. But to me, one of the greatest things about horror movies is that they can be so incredibly bad and yet still so incredibly enjoyable.

My favorite horror flick, bar none, would have to be...

FRANKENFISH

Great characters, great story, genuinely scary, and the absolute coolest movie creatures (yes, plural) ever to grace my retinas.

Registered Creature
Probably my favourite genre.

I am the Nightrider!
I'm a huge fan of the sci-fi/horror/fantasy genre, and I have to agree with the original poster that the horror genre is suffering. In this decade, that have been tons of horror films, which included many pointless remakes (most of them from Japan's catalog) and loads of PG-13 garbage.

Bruce Campbell said it best: "There is no such thing as a PG-13 horror film." Not in this day and age anyway.

I have a special place in my heart for the Zombie film, and thankfully there have been some decent ones that presented itself over the past few years, the remake of "Dawn of the Dead" and the "28" films to name a few.

-UJ

A PHD in Whiskey and Stonerology
I'm a huge fan of the sci-fi/horror/fantasy genre, and I have to agree with the original poster that the horror genre is suffering. In this decade, that have been tons of horror films, which included many pointless remakes (most of them from Japan's catalog) and loads of PG-13 garbage.

Bruce Campbell said it best: "There is no such thing as a PG-13 horror film." Not in this day and age anyway.

I have a special place in my heart for the Zombie film, and thankfully there have been some decent ones that presented itself over the past few years, the remake of "Dawn of the Dead" and the "28" films to name a few.

-UJ
Don't forget Romero's Land of the Dead.

'Gotta love Romero.

I am the Nightrider!
Don't forget Romero's Land of the Dead.

'Gotta love Romero.
Oh where are my manners!?!?! How could I forget!

-UJ

Registered Creature
Ha, you can see Simon Pegg's head.

Horror Movies... I like to make one please.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

The King of Movies
Horror = A violent action movie/ a light drama movie.

Horror is my fav genre. If a horror movie is done good then it will be kick ass BUT when a horror movie is done bad, then it is a joke. There is no such thing as an average horror movie.

Here are some good ones:

The remake of the TCM/Halloween/ Hills have eyes (1,2)

Hostel 1/Hostel 2

Jason Goes to Hell

Freddy vs Jason

Some bad ones are.....

Road Stop

The Tool Box Murders

Burried Alive

The First Friday the 13th

See No Evil

Registered Creature
The first Friday the 13th movie put me off the rest.

George A. Romero is the best zombie filmmaker the world has ever known.

Never liked, infact I hated, the Halloween, Saw, Friday the 13th, The Hills Have Eyes and Prom Night movies. And many more. Oh, the new Day of the Dead was TERRIBLE.

The King of Movies
The first Friday the 13th movie put me off the rest.

George A. Romero is the best zombie filmmaker the world has ever known.

Never liked, infact I hated, the Halloween, Saw, Friday the 13th, The Hills Have Eyes and Prom Night movies. And many more. Oh, the new Day of the Dead was TERRIBLE.
The first Friday the 13th sucked alot BUT don't let that one crappy movie spoiler the series. The following Friday the 13ths are good:

Friday the 13th Part 6: Jason Lives
Jason Takes Manhatten
Jason Goes to Hell
Freddy vs Jason

Registered Creature
Slasher movies aren't my thing. Maybe one day I'll rent it for a random horror night in or something lol. My Dad's taste in horror films has rubbed off on me aswell... he's brought me up watching Romero since I was a kid and some other really gory, sickly stuff but never the Friday or Halloween movies.

The King of Movies
Slasher movies aren't my thing. Maybe one day I'll rent it for a random horror night in or something lol. My Dad's taste in horror films has rubbed off on me aswell... he's brought me up watching Romero since I was a kid and some other really gory, sickly stuff but never the Friday or Halloween movies.
lol so do prefer gore to suspense? If so i recemend Wrong Turn 2.

Little floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
I also love gory horror's....dark and twisted gory horror films are one of my favorite films to watch! Sick I know!

Horror = A violent action movie/ a light drama movie.

Horror is my fav genre. If a horror movie is done good then it will be kick ass BUT when a horror movie is done bad, then it is a joke. There is no such thing as an average horror movie.

Here are some good ones:

The remake of the TCM/Halloween/ Hills have eyes (1,2)

Hostel 1/Hostel 2

Jason Goes to Hell

Freddy vs Jason

Some bad ones are.....

Road Stop

The Tool Box Murders

Burried Alive

The First Friday the 13th

See No Evil
You are smoking marijuana crack cocaine.

Registered Creature
lol so do prefer gore to suspense? If so i recemend Wrong Turn 2.
I've seen Wrong Turn 2. I really didn't like it. :/

I like classic horror (Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing for sure, but don't forget Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, and Lon Chaney --sr. & jr.) I grew up cutting my fangs on magazines like Famous Monsters of Filmland. Many gore movies (this includes the slasher flicks of the 1980s) were interesting when they first came out, because the gore was a novelty-- sorta like going to a magic show, the interest was solely to see what outrageous ways they were going to come up with to kill people. However, those kinds of "thrills" were short lived for me, and to be honest I got bored with the gore flicks pretty quickly and started making fun of them-- after all who is going to believe that someone is going to keep their arm perfectly still for the camera while a maniac hacks their hand off with an axe???? Come on, Really?

When the first Saw movie came out, all my friends were talking about its clever ending, so I watched it, didn't think the ending was all that clever (nor any of the rest of it for that matter) and dismissed it. Never watched any of the others. I did see Hostel, saw nothing clever, interesting, or suspensful there, just disgusting. Did not see the second one (and there was a reason there hasn't been a third one -- box office fell off sharp for the second one, not as big a hit as studio anticipated).

As a horror fan, I have given this considerable thought: GOOD horror movies have to be only two things-- interesting and scary. They do not have to be offensive or disgusting. I think it's these basics that some of the bigger companies are forgetting.

God Bless!!!

I don't really care for most old cheesy horror. I like genuine horror, with a real edge to it, that breaks taboos and goes for the gut. Not that I don't wish horror movies were more intelligent; I do. But I think they're often stupid precisely because they aren't respected, so too many movie-makers try to cash in with crap they've made for a genre & fanbase they don't really respect.

Therefore, you have a glut of crappy horror movies. That doesn't mean the genre itself is incapable of being great, or is bad per se.

I like gore and suspense. I love horror and I'm not ashamed of it. People can sneer their noses and call it sick all they want. I love fantasy and sci-fi too. I don't see much difference, because it's all pushing the boundary of what is real, what is acceptable, questions like that. I like that kind of thing.

Anything surreal or unusual, anything that explores the edges or limits of reality, life, the human condition, the status quo, all that, it's cool to me. I dig that stuff. I think we humans need stuff like that around to help us gain perspective.

Some people have very small comfort zones, or are squeamish. Some people think it's "unrealistic" or silly. That's cool. Horror ain't for them. But I personally don't think anything can top a well-made horror or sci-fi film in terms of sheer power to take you out of the world you know and put you in an alternate reality.

I love that.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!