The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The trick is not minding
It's number 3 for me, which makes it a masterpiece. So, my three favorite Kubrick's are in my top 20.
I have it at #2.
Dr Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
Paths of Glory
Barry Lyndon
Full Metal Jacket

Those are my favorite.
Have not Seen anything before Paths of Glory yet.

imho

The Shining
2001 A Space Odessy
Dr. Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
Eyes Wide Shut
Full Metal Jacket
Paths of Glory
The Killing
Killer's Kiss

I have it at #2.
Dr Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
Paths of Glory
Barry Lyndon
Full Metal Jacket

Those are my favorite.
Have not Seen anything before Paths of Glory yet.
Kubrick is my favorite director so I'm a bit biased, but I would say Killer's Kiss and The Killing are very much worth your while. Both are very solid and tight crime films. And if you really like his films, then watching Fear and Desire becomes an interesting exploration of how he evolved. His whole filmography is worth watching and rewatching.

EDIT: For what it's worth...
  1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  2. Full Metal Jacket
  3. Eyes Wide Shut
  4. Paths of Glory
  5. A Clockwork Orange
  6. Dr. Strangelove
  7. Barry Lyndon
  8. The Shining
  9. Lolita
  10. The Killing
  11. Killer's Kiss
  12. Spartacus
  13. Fear and Desire

The trick is not minding
Kubrick is my favorite director so I'm a bit biased, but I would say Killer's Kiss and The Killing are very much worth your while. Both are very solid and tight crime films. And if you really like his films, then watching Fear and Desire becomes an interesting exploration of how he evolved. His whole filmography is worth watching and rewatching.

EDIT: For what it's worth...
  1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
  2. Full Metal Jacket
  3. Eyes Wide Shut
  4. Paths of Glory
  5. A Clockwork Orange
  6. Dr. Strangelove
  7. Barry Lyndon
  8. The Shining
  9. Lolita
  10. The Killing
  11. Killer's Kiss
  12. Spartacus
  13. Fear and Desire
Yeah, Fear and Desire is available for streaming on Amazon so I’ll get to it soon. Eyes Wide Shut is his only film I don’t like.
Spartacus and The Shining are merely ok. I plan on doing a marathon of his films this year, since I own his box set, and it was the first set I ever purchased.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I prefer the original Star Wars over Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, but the whole original trilogy is fantastic. All three movies deserve to make the countdown, but somehow none of them made my list.

On the surface, Se7en doesn't seem to be my type of movie, but I've seen it a couple of times, and it's brilliant. It's a bit too dark and depressing to make my list, but it deserves a spot on the countdown.

Kubrick rankings:

1) 2001: A Space Odyssey
2) Paths of Glory
3) A Clockwork Orange
4) The Killing
5) The Shining
6) Full Metal Jacket
7) Dr. Strangelove
8) Killer's Kiss

Also, I saw Barry Lyndon tonight for the Hall of Fame, but, while I loved it, I'll need to rewatch it before I rank it. I've also seen a couple of his short documentaries (Day of the Fight and Flying Padre), both of which are solid.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Tomorrow's hint:

From innocent places
These journeys begin
In both of these cases
It starts at an inn

Whether you work for a lord
Or just a day's pay
You've got to keep sharp
While the master's away

Be nice and keep clean
Keep forging ahead
Obey the queen
And sleep like the dead
I want to guess Inception (Starts with In and they sleep like the dead!) and Shaun of the Dead (Starts in the pub, Shaun works for a day's pay, they play Queen on the jukebox).

The Empire Strikes Back is my favorite Star Wars movie. I loved the first one and will never forget the feeling of seeing something so different and satisfying that was just one big ball of entertainment. But I didn't see the sequel as dark and gloomy, instead it was so thrilling and fun that I immediately enjoyed it more than the first one. I knew one of our heroes would escape or be rescued in the next film, so I just settled in for the long, three-year wait by seeing Empire as many times as possible. My favorite characters in this one were Yoda and the Millennium Falcon.

19. The Searchers #97
1. To Kill a Mockingbird #85
25. Die Hard #63
14. Rear Window #40
8. It's a Wonderful Life #38
2. Aliens #37
13. The Wizard of Oz #36
9. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back #30

@John-Connor In that pic you posted of, um, picks you made, the #4 is great, with Claudia Cardinale's sideburns seriously longer than Clint Eastwood's. Oh wait...never mind.

John-Connor is @resopamenic!

BUSTED!

A system of cells interlinked
Inception and Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Inception and Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
I'm copying you, full apologies.

• 164 points
  • 9 lists
28. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Director

Peter Jackson, 2003

Starring

Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Sean Astin

• 168 points
  • 15 lists
27. Psycho

Director

Alfred Hitchcock, 1960

Starring

Anthony Perkins, Janet Leigh, Vera Miles, John Gavin

Didn't expect to be this disappointed all three Rings are going to make it. This from someone who thinks these are great movies. Can't imagine how the detractors are feeling.

Psycho is great in all the ways people always mention but after three viewings sits around 8 or 9 on my Hitch list. I think that's a testament to what a great director he is. Others may see it as my ignorance manifesting itself. Both those things are probably true. Expected Psycho here and have no problem with it, even though The Birds is better.

A system of cells interlinked
RotK? Ack!

Psycho is fantastic, and deserves a place on this list. That's not one of the Hitch films I put on my list, though...

Fun Fact

As I alluded to a few days ago, this is the last film on the list that isn't on at least 10 ballots: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King cracks the top 30 while only being on nine. It managed that because five people put it in their top three.

It's been decades since last watched "Psycho" and don't remember much other than the shower scene and it's ending.

Two LOTR down, one to go...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Craptastic List:  

57/72 films seen

It starts at an inn
So, this was a little tricksy.

There's obviously a scene at an inn early on in Fellowship, and obviously I might be willing to take that liberty for hint purposes and say Fellowship "starts" there even if it technically starts elsewhere, but as someone noted, if you could say the first film starts there, you could say the trilogy starts there, too.

Specifically, though, my thinking was very literal: the "Return of the King" starts at an inn, since that's where they first meet Aragorn.

Whether you work for a lord
I tried to drop a few clues elsewhere to point to ROTK, specifically, and this is one of them.

You've got to keep sharp
This works for both: knives and swords!

While the master's away
I toyed with a bunch of versions of "king's return," trying synonyms for both (obviously "king" and "monarch" and probably "ruler" are all out) until I found something that felt like a hint without being too obvious , and this is what I came up with.

Be nice and keep clean
Shower scene.

Keep forging ahead
Forged!

Obey the queen
I like this one, because it points to "king" and the hold Norman Bates' mother has over him.

And sleep like the dead
Army of the dead in ROTK, and just, ya' know, murder.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Sad to admit (sorta), that Return of the King was my least favorite of the trilogy. I'm surprised that it ranked so high. Not that I wish it harm! It just feels ...weird.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear