2018 Thus Far (from a Box-Office Perspective)

Tools    

The Bib-iest of Nickels
We know if it flops in the u.s chances are world wide don't matter. Look at at warcraft it made allot over seas but still in u.s and Canada its still a flop eye sore. There was no marketing for the reboot but then again you were replacing Angelina
That isn't true, actually. A lot of films are released with their inherent logic being to deliver overseas. Warcraft made a lot overseas, but a lot of it was in China, where the receipt is significantly smaller, and they also had deals in-place where Universal did not receive the overseas total anyways. Look at Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, keeping with the video-game adaptations, the film was a box-office success, not because of its domestic totals, but in-spite of its domestic totals, churning a considerable profit and becoming the biggest film of the series worldwide. Not the most profitable, but still very profitable. Look at Pirates of the Caribbean or Transformers, which have basically built the foundation for their success off the back of overseas total while their domestic totals decline. China has a lot of downsides, but it's still an important territory that can help to make or break a film. Of the top ten highest grossing films this year, three (and soon, four) were Chinese films, with Operation Red Sea making 529 million.

Just something to consider.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Pacific Rim got a sequel due to overseas performance.

Anyways, Black Panther has surpassed The Last Jedi. This thing has legs for days.

Suspect's Reviews

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Pacific Rim got a sequel due to overseas performance.

Anyways, Black Panther has surpassed The Last Jedi. This thing has legs for days.
I am really surprised Pacific Rim received a sequel at all, honestly, but I think Warner Bros. must see more in its future prospects than what the numbers suggest. The first film made a little over 400 million worldwide of a production budget around 190 million and a marketing budget that, let's say, hypothetically, probably brought it to over 250 million. Considering the amount theaters receive, Pacific Rim likely didn't even break-even from its theatrical numbers, other factors at play likely helped it churn out a sequel.

I really dont care how much Black Panther makes. Avatar was a major cash cow as well that for me was just good not great. Do remember Empire Strikes Back didnt make Phantom Menace or Force Awakens Money but Its still considered best Star Wars film. I think when the Craze is over and the dust settles that Avengers will be the best Comic Book movie of the Year or Aquaman. But I wouldnt count out Solo while likely make much less then Rogue One or Last Jedi. I would count out it being an Overall good film and maybe much better then its Box office.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I really dont care how much Black Panther makes. Avatar was a major cash cow as well that for me was just good not great. Do remember Empire Strikes Back didnt make Phantom Menace or Force Awakens Money but Its still considered best Star Wars film. I think when the Craze is over and the dust settles that Avengers will be the best Comic Book movie of the Year or Aquaman. But I wouldnt count out Solo while likely make much less then Rogue One or Last Jedi. I would count out it being an Overall good film and maybe much better then its Box office.
True, it doesn't necessarily mean "quality", but I do care about Box-Office, not only in that it shows the state of the industry, but it also shows one is working with viewers and what isn't. And, as for Solo, I am approaching it with an open-mind. I liked the original directors, I don't mind Ron Howard. I like the idea. I definitely think it will do well at the box-office too, but I think that it will show continued declines for Star Wars, which doesn't mean the series is waning in-terms of popularity, but that the market is settling with its reemergence as a factor.

I am really curious about Aqua-Man. I like James Wan as a horror-director and I am curious for how they'll film such an ambitious project. The DC Extended Universe has had a lot of scrutiny and a lot of box-office misfires, but I don't think it has failed like some have said. I enjoyed Man of Steel and Wonder Woman as decent superhero flicks, and I liked a lot of the ideas for Batman v. Superman and consider it my favorite of the series so far. The only films I'd really call bad were Suicide Squad and Justice League.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
In a small update, the new Tomb Raider film recently hit 160 million worldwide, surpassing the worldwide total of Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life, which also cost 5 million more to produce. This is almost entirely because of its overseas prospects which have been very fruitful. Something to keep in mind though, is that a little less than one-third of the overseas total came from China which gives about half the profit back that other overseas territories do. If the film makes the 10 million-or-so it's projected to make this weekend, alongside consistent overseas return, it should cross 200 million by Monday, and has a shot at falling in the 250-300 million range.

True, it doesn't necessarily mean "quality", but I do care about Box-Office, not only in that it shows the state of the industry, but it also shows one is working with viewers and what isn't. And, as for Solo, I am approaching it with an open-mind. I liked the original directors, I don't mind Ron Howard. I like the idea. I definitely think it will do well at the box-office too, but I think that it will show continued declines for Star Wars, which doesn't mean the series is waning in-terms of popularity, but that the market is settling with its reemergence as a factor.

I am really curious about Aqua-Man. I like James Wan as a horror-director and I am curious for how they'll film such an ambitious project. The DC Extended Universe has had a lot of scrutiny and a lot of box-office misfires, but I don't think it has failed like some have said. I enjoyed Man of Steel and Wonder Woman as decent superhero flicks, and I liked a lot of the ideas for Batman v. Superman and consider it my favorite of the series so far. The only films I'd really call bad were Suicide Squad and Justice League.
I think Deadpool 2 Should Open Earlier Then It Has Now Like A Week. I mean Avengers would have 2 weeks before it and DP2 Wouldnt be Hurt By Avengers 3 and DP2 wouldnt Hurt Solo Directly and since Disney now owns Fox I am wondering if Somethings gonna move.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I think Deadpool 2 Should Open Earlier Then It Has Now Like A Week. I mean Avengers would have 2 weeks before it and DP2 Wouldnt be Hurt By Avengers 3 and DP2 wouldnt Hurt Solo Directly and since Disney now owns Fox I am wondering if Somethings gonna move.
Blockbuster superheroes directly compete with other blockbuster superheroes, and, like Black Panther, I believe Marvel would like as leggy of a run as possible for Avengers, and to maximize profits for Deadpool as well. Breathing room is important, I think.

I think Solo and Deadpool 2 Marketing just were not thinking putting Two major Movies so close together. Avengers Infinity War like most summer movies make there biggest chunk 2 weeks in the summer then its time for something else. Solo has to drop a New Trailer or this is Disney giving up on on Solo and a Since Disney would seem like to only really care about Avengers not the Star Wars franchise.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I think Solo and Deadpool 2 Marketing just were not thinking putting Two major Movies so close together. Avengers Infinity War like most summer movies make there biggest chunk 2 weeks in the summer then its time for something else. Solo has to drop a New Trailer or this is Disney giving up on on Solo and a Since Disney would seem like to only really care about Avengers not the Star Wars franchise.
I think that Disney is betting (perhaps, incorrectly) that the brand-value of Han Solo will be able to market the film. Whereas, with Avengers, their mind-set is that they want to go "all-in". I wouldn't say they don't care about the Star Wars franchise, they really, really care about it, but Avengers 4 is the closest chance at another Star Wars: The Force Awakens money-maker.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
March

Red Sparrow
Result: Disappointment
Box-Office: 129.8 million
Budget: 69 million

Thoughts: Pairing Jennifer Lawrence and Francis Lawrence (no relation) together once more after their successful collaborations on The Hunger Games series was, unfortunately, unable to provide particularly fruitful results. The film received mixed-reviews, and never really seemed to wager much interest. Although Jennifer Lawrence is specifically praised, this follows a certain string of disappointments or box-office flops, such as Joy (another film that paired her with a director she'd previously had success with on the Silverlining's Playbook), Mother!, Passengers (a disappointment, not failure), and the diminished returns for the last Hunger Games and X-Men: Apocalypse, perhaps Jennifer Lawrence is in a sort-of funk, or perhaps she's long overdue for her next sure-fire hit. Unfortunately, this isn't it.

Death Wish
Box-Office: 40.8 million
Budget: 30 million

Thoughts: Eli Roth is a director who has had middling returns at the box-office and has never really had a film a strong number of people regarded as great. Cabin Fever and Hostel both did him well at the box-office, and I dug the second Hostel film, but, other-wise, The Green Inferno and Knock Knock started what has continued with Death Wish, as a long-string of critical and financial disappointments. The difference between these, however, is that Knock Knock and The Green Inferno ultimately succeeded their budgets at the box-office and were conservative enough with their expenditures that they could break even on home-video, whereas Death Wish was a larger financial undertaking altogether. The film had made more than its budget, but it hasn't taken enough of that money for itself to cover production, let alone get started on covering its marketing budget.

Gringo
Box-Office: 6.5 million
Budget: ? million

Thoughts: Not a lot of commentary about this one. A collaborative effort between Amazon and STX Entertainment, it posted the 25th second weekend drop of all-time and struggled out-of-the-gate. Mixed-to-negative reviews, maybe it will have a better like on Amazon's Streaming Service.

The Hurricane Heist
Result: Flop
Box-Office: 11.9 million
Budget: 35 million

Thoughts: This film was from the director of one of the Fast and the Furious films and bombed hard. Reviews are negative, as well.

The Strangers: Prey at Night
Result: Modest Success
Box-Office: 24.8 million
Budget: 5 million

Thoughts: Many will be fast to mention that Strangers 2 has barely made 1/4th of what the first film did. That's not the most reasonable way to look at this, however. For starters, Strangers 2 has half the budget of the first film. It also came out ten years after the fact, depleting practically all marketability it had as a brand. And, finally, the film was distributed by a smaller company called Aviron, whose only other title was a film called Kidnapped with Halle Barry. This film will make a little less than that film, but it also cost a lot less. This is a modest success for them.

A Wrinkle in Time
Box-Office: 104.4 million
Budget: 100 million

Thoughts: Notably, this is the first film from a black woman that has received a budget of nine-digits. That's a cool fact. Unfortunately, the film has ultimately failed to turn heads other-wise. The film received mixed-to-negative reviews and lost momentum very fast. It's barely halfway where it needs to be in-order to cover the production budget, and then, it will need to cover what will likely be a large marketing budget. This is this year's Tomorrowland. But Disney will survive just fine.

Tomb Raider
Result: Unclear
Box-Office: 245.1 million
Budget: 90-106 million

Thoughts: I said earlier in a box-office thread I didn't want to jump-the-gun with everyone calling Tomb Raider a failure. In truth, it was because I was waiting for the overseas box-office numbers to start pouring in. And with that, there's enough information to say that Tomb Raider didn't flop. However, it remains to be seen if it will be able to climb the ranks as a modest box-office success. The film has failed to garner much attention stateside, pacing at about half of what the original Tomb Raider film did. I think this film will have enough oomph to fall in the 50-55 million range domestically. The film's benefiting a lot from overseas total. It might even end up making more worldwide than the first Tomb Raider because of that. Unfortunately, of course, you receive less in foreign markets. If it can muster up 300 million, I'd call Tomb Raider a "Modest Success".

Love, Simon
Box-Office: 33.7 million
Budget: 17 million

Thoughts: Love, Simon received high-marks from critics, and while it hasn't blown up at the box-office, it has, thus far, been able to remain steady, dropping a light 33% in its second weekend. It still hasn't covered its production budget, but it seems well on its way to doing so. It's the type of film I wouldn't be surprised to see do even better on the home-market.

I Can Only Imagine
Result: Success
Box-Office: 56 million
Budget: 7 million

Thoughts: I remember seeing trailers for this film in theaters and thinking to myself, "That's weird they made a movie about this," but, evidently, a market existed for the faith-based film, and it has flourished at the box-office. The film opened above expectations at the box-office and dropped a light 19% in its second weekend. The film has already broken even and likely covered its marketing budget, and it looks like it has some mileage left.

Pacific Rim Uprising
Box-Office: 231.9 million
Budget: 150-170.6 million

Thoughts: The new Pacific Rim dethroned Black Panther's reign as the weekend champion and surpassed expectations, garnering over 28 million at the domestic box-office. Although, that isn't a very impressive sum for such an expensive film to amass. I anticipate the film will exceed 50 million, but fall short of 100 million stateside. Really though, it was all about the overseas total as far as this film was concerned. Uprising improved on what the first film made in China, but it still looks like it's in for a very uphill battle as far as breaking even is concerned, a feat that most analysts aren't even thinking Pacific Rim ever did in-terms of its theatrical profit against its production and marketing budget. This film needs around 400 million in-order to really be worth its expenditures and I don't think it will be up to the task.

Sherlock Gnomes
Box-Office: 30.8 million
Budget: 59 million

Thoughts: Although I chuckled at the cheap "No ship, Sherlock" joke used in the trailers, I carry the same sentiment as many moviegoers in-regards to this film. Simply put, the 20% Rotten Tomatoes score was badly echoed in its theater totals, amassing disappointing numbers, and one would anticipate theaters dropping this film early on. Easter might help improve numbers, but it looks like it's simply too large an uphill battle to overcome.

Isle of Dogs
Box-Office: 8.2 million

Thoughts: The film has thus far been given a limited release and has done considerably well. It will be interesting to see how the film's positive reviews and its current buzz helps it as it is released in more theaters.

Unsane
Result: Disappointment/Unclear
Box-Office: 9.5 million
Budget: 1.5 million

Thoughts: The film is notable for having one of the all-time largest declines in its second weekend. Directed by Steven Soderbergh, who Roger Ebert dubbed as the Poster Boy of the Sundance generation, the horror film received mixed-to-positive reviews, but has failed to generate much buzz from a financial perspective. Luckily, the film's conservative production budget has already been covered by its box-office total, and, right now, they're really just trying to cover all the money spent on marketing cost. Maybe it will have a better life on home-video.

Acrimony
Box-Office: 17.1 million
Budget: 20 million

Thoughts: Most Tyler Perry films that aren't to do with Madea don't do all that well. That said, Acrimony's opening weekend almost matched the production budget, mind you, that isn't how much they receive from the cut, but it's a solid debut. What will really be the deciding factor is how the film does in proceeding weeks, if it drops like a rock, it will fail to generate revenue and these type of films don't usually do well overseas, so, we'll see.

God's Not Dead: A Light in Darkness
Box-Office: 2.6 million

Thoughts: This franchise doesn't have much to justify itself or its existence. The first film delivered with over 60 million dollars whereas the sequel made only about a third of what that film did. At any rate, many would decide it's time to come up with something different that will appeal to faith-based audiences, but not Pure Flix. This film opened to less than half of what the second film made. In their defense, few would have predicted the lasting appeal of the "I Can Only Imagine" film. Still. Stop.

Ready Player One
Box-Office: 181.6 million
Budget: 175 million

Thoughts: Ready Player One marks Steven Spielberg's first film to open number-one on its weekend in nearly a decade. In one swoop, Ready Player One also out-grossed Bridge of Spies and The Post, and is only a day away from out-grossing The BFG. The film has received a warm response from audiences and critics alike, but it definitely has a lot of ground to cover. One name a lot are making comparisons to is the G.I. Joe: Retaliation film, which opened to a fairly similar weekend on a domestic level, ultimately ending up with 122 million. If Ready Player One were to match that, it'd cover only around half of its production budget. Alongside a marketing budget that likely inflated it to around 250 million, I don't think overseas totals will be able to pick up the slack enough. We'll see though.

Ready Player One Should do well and be main movie until Rampage Comes out then Avengers will Rule The Box office. But Its unclear what Deadpool 2 or Solo will do. Solo will depend on how much of the Last Jedi hate is real or just a select minority.

Wow! IT made $700 million. That surprised me. Nice to see a reboot of a horror film do so well.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I updated March's post for this weekend. Ready Player One had a 4-day weekend above 50 million and a worldwide opening of nearly 200 million, but I don't think it's really cause for celebration. I feel like the box-office has been really dead aside from Black Panther. Adjusted for inflation, 2017 was the worst period at the box-office since the mid-90s and 2018 is falling behind from it. I don't think it's any cause for alarm just yet, but I hope they can turn things around.

I just think the movies havent been very good yet and thats not a good sign when your in April. The summer will have to be pretty good but then again by this point last year we had Logan, Kong Skull Island and Fast 8. This year thus far only good films has been Black Panther, Ready Player One and maybe Tomb Raider everything else is garbage or been destroyed by Black Panther.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Paramount should be ecstatic about this weekend. Ever since they lost distribution rights for the Marvel Cinematic Universe, they have struggled to find themselves again, bolstering many expensive misfires like Monster Trucks, last year, which cost them a reported 100 million dollars, at least. Their new film, A Quiet Place, however, is on-pace to break out. This isn't enough to solve all their financial woes, but they definitely have some reason for celebration. A Quiet Place is set for a weekend bolstering profits of over 45 million! For some perspective, Ready Player One cost nearly 200 million dollars to produce, meanwhile, A Quiet Place is expected to have cost around 17 million, and yet, will surpass Ready Player One's opening weekend. A Quiet Place continues a long-string of successful horror outings, which, last year, included Split, Get Out, Annabelle: Creation, and the behemoth success of It: Chapter One. Thus far, with Insidious: Chapter 3 coming near 170 million worldwide and now, A Quiet Place, it's shaping up to be a solid year for horror fanatics.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I haven't updated in a while, as I have been more preoccupied with my YouTube channel, work, and other extracurricular activities, like, for instance, my fourth novel was recently made available on Amazon and I'll be having a Comic Con booth to sell copies, but I have been keeping track of all of what has been happening lately.

The biggest event worth celebrating right now is for A Quiet Place, which is expected to be the number one film in its third weekend (and almost beat Rampage in its second). The film is set to cross 200 million by Monday and it remains to see how much higher it can reach. I would love if the film was able to reach 300 million worldwide (on-par with The Conjuring juggernaut), but it's worldwide totals have been much more anemic than its fantastic returns from a domestic level.

Meanwhile, Rampage has done solid business, but a great deal of it has been overseas, and therefore, it will be a while before it starts to make a real dent into its budget.

Ready Player One is about to cross 500 million. Once Infinity Wars starts to wreak havoc, it will start to drop out from theaters, but I think that 550 million is a reasonable expectation, a stretch-goal of 600 million is optimistic, but if the film is able to over-perform in Japan, then, that total is achievable. Unfortunately, the territories it has succeeded in, like China, aren't much for pay-outs, thus, if the film grosses 550 million worldwide, it still might not have broken even. The film cost somewhere around 325 million to make happen (production and marketing) and with territories like China taking 75% of profits, it really starts to chip away at the returns.

Oh, and also, Blockers and Truth or Dare are both doing alright. Truth or Dare will drop-out really, really fast, but it cost so little it'll be no big deal. Blockers has really solid reviews, so it might also have more life on home-video, meanwhile, Truth or Dare will likely coast off the fact it was so cheap to make.

Does any decent movie get released from January to September? Its only when the Oscar time comes around all the movies are piled on back to back. I have only seen Commuter and 12 Strong from this year. And they were just poor. Dont have much hope for 2018 as well.