Submit Your
2000s
List
The deadline for the Top Films of the 2000s list is days away! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

HBO: Is it really quality over numbers?

Tools    

I've been watching interviews/panels with David Simon, the creator of the wire, that must have been filmed over ten years ago. Based on what he's been saying, HBO seems to be somewhat different because they don't seem to take viewer numbers quite as seriously as "broadcast" does.

So, is David Simon right about this? Is HBO's web streaming service worth the money? I do like the fact that they have a pricing model that allows you to be charged with or without ads, monthly or yearly.

I think so....

Amazon - you don't know what's free and what you have to pay for
Hulu - good content but the ads are rough
Netflix - solid original programing but it takes forever for new stuff to come out
Disney Plus - expensive for what you end up getting

HBO Max - has quality films and a deep library and solid shows to rewatch.

I've been watching interviews/panels with David Simon, the creator of the wire, that must have been filmed over ten years ago. Based on what he's been saying, HBO seems to be somewhat different because they don't seem to take viewer numbers quite as seriously as "broadcast" does.

So, is David Simon right about this? Is HBO's web streaming service worth the money? I do like the fact that they have a pricing model that allows you to be charged with or without ads, monthly or yearly.
I go in & out of HBOMax depending upon whatís available, but itís my favorite streaming site. Very high-class IMO.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I've got HBOmax streaming and like it. There is at least one major release each week, a good selection of B/W classics (IMO), plus the hub streaming options that include a few titles from Cartoon Network's Adult Swim lineup, the BBC's Doctor Who, Studio Ghibli selections, along with almost every HBO original series offered. Not everything, for some reason, is available. For example, Fraggle Rock is not.

That's from memory, btw, and may change regularly depending on licensing I'm guessing.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear