CiCi's Top 50 Horror Films!

→ in
Tools    

Not seen either again. Not seen anything by Argento yet actually. Even though i've seen barely anything this is still good for recs.
Watch Suspiria or you have not lived.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Okay CiCi, I promise not to be a prick anymore. Nothing but praise here on forward!
You can call a spade a spade around me, Swan, it can be our thing!

But don't worry about it! I endured far, far worse in Survivor

I also don't like to hear that it's "typical" Argento. Typical is never good and it's never good for an artist to be too repetitive. I just watched A Lizard in a Woman's Skin, and it felt unique in Fulci's catalogue and is now my fave of his. Beautiful acid giallo! Alas, every Fulci I've seen has felt different and unique from the last, and that's why I love him.
Fulci? Oh yeah, that's the poor man's-....

Kidding, kidding.

Not seen any of the last few. Need to see more Argento. Didn't like what I saw of Tenebre either, CiCi - also watched only 20 minutes too though

Fulci? Oh yeah, that's the poor man's-....
Even if you are joking the fact that anyone would conjure up such a ridiculous sentiment as that really irks me!

Let the night air cool you off
Another one I've seen!!!!!! Opera is dope, but it's been a while since I've seen it. I need to go back and watch it and follow it up with another viewing of Tenebre, which I also liked. "Typical" Argento is better than most other things in this world.

"Typical" Argento is better than most other things in this world.
Stop contradicting me, bish!

Why didn't you guys like Tenebre?
Wasn't feeling the vibe of it. It felt amateurish - but not the auteurish amateurish advantage and appeal that Argento and Fulci films usually have. It didn't click with me, but we'll see with a future proper watch...

Calvaire was a pretty decent flick, and I already have Opera on my watchlist.
I think cricket just wanted to be the 69th post in this thread.

Calvaire was a pretty decent flick, and I already have Opera on my watchlist.
Your profile pic gets me every time, cricket.

I was sitting here and suddenly I hear these *knock knock* sounds and I'm like "who's there?", "Dick" it says, and I'm like "Dick who?"... and then I realize it's just my boner knocking on the bottom of my desk.

Just one of those days, man.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
40. I Spit on Your Grave (Meir Zarchi - 1978)

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" is the message of Meir Zarchi's pivotal rape-and-revenge flick. Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel proclaimed this as the "worst film ever made, without a shred of artistic distinction" and to put it bluntly, Siskel was a bit of a kiss arse, and Ebert was inconsistent (he hailed The Last House on the Left which has the slightest of differences from this).

That aside, this film depicts rape in its true form, to silence films like Gone With the Wind and even Straw Dogs that almost glossed over sexual violence. To deliver its message, it therefore contains the longest rape scene in cinematic history at around 42 minutes. It's absolutely brutal, but Jennifer's (Camille Keaton) revenge is even more violent.

In all honesty, it would probably be quite forgettable, even campy, if it weren't for the lead actress Camille Keaton. She takes the role seriously, and outshines her attackers in every scene, and she manages to maintain our support for her no matter how psychotic or deranged she becomes.

You'd think this was just an excuse for boobs and violence at the end of the day, but Zarchi also manages to make it pretty obvious that he employs an anti-violence message throughout. Something most exploitation films can't be bothered to do

39. The Crazies (Breck Eisner - 2010)

I'll admit it now, I haven't seen the original by George Romero!

Nevertheless, for a remake, this is pretty exceptional. I found this film genuinely terrifying, the scene with the man wandering down the hospital ward with a pitchfork had my heart rate through the roof. That's why this film works, it manages to implement an overwhelming sense of tension and dread in a large amount of sequences.

The fact that the villains aren't mindless fiends, but are actually rational, lucid, whilst still being incredibly psychotic made them pretty deliciously wicked antagonists, who you'd dread to actually encounter. Obviously, a lot of this is due to the original film and its ideas, but it was well executed overall, especially the bleak direction that created an atmospheric, depressing ambiance from the get go. Brilliant!

Another two that I'm a fan of.

I first saw I Spit on Your Grave as a 7yo boy who was supposed to be asleep in the back seat of his daddy's car at the drive-in.

The Crazies is fantastic, especially for a remake. Maybe that's the trick, don't redo a beloved classic, but rather pick something that can actually be done better.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch

I first saw I Spit on Your Grave as a 7yo boy who was supposed to be asleep in the back seat of his daddy's car at the drive-in.

The Crazies is fantastic, especially for a remake. Maybe that's the trick, don't redo a beloved classic, but rather pick something that can actually be done better.
Cricket I first saw it when I was around 15 and I was traumatised

I can't really comment on the original, but they did the same for The Hills Have Eyes and the remake was quite a bit better than the original, for me anyway!

Your parents took you to see that?? even if you were supposed to be asleep..

Watched I Spit On Your Grave last year. Pretty brutal. Haven't seen either of The Crazies yet, i was already planning on watching the remake as it is on Netflix.