Cici's Top Ten "Scream Queens"

Tools    

This starts soon, CiCi

I think it's going to be on E4 over here.

And here's the programme CS was talking about. I think it was shown on MTV over here. That or E4. I didn't watch it, but I think it was one of those.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
7. Adrienne King

Claim to Fame:
Friday the 13th (1980)

Also known for:
Saturday Night Fever (1977) bit role
Friday the 13th: Part 2 (1981)
Psychic Experiment (2010)

Her performance in one of the most iconic horror films ever made, Friday the 13th was immensely influential, even if she didn't deliver the greatest performance, but then again, who did in that film? The legacy around her role is astounding too, Ms. King forfeited her acting career when she was the victim of a stalker who was obsessed with the character of Alice Hardy. Consequently, she agreed to only briefly appear in the sequel Friday the 13th: Part 2 and then she disappeared...

Until the turn of the decade, now she's back acting in low budget films. But this woman has not had it easy, in 1990, a plane crashed very close to her home, and she assisted in clearing up bodies and their missing parts, which resulted in Ms. King being in two years of therapy and a court case.

Her scenes with Betsy Palmer also made for a intriguing and different experience, and that catfight at the end of the film was so so camp but so so entertaining as well, and her final scene in the lake ultimately established one of the most prominent and continuous horror franchises in motion. So Ms. King enters at number 7, and of course I'll be submitting videos of THAT fight (it has not aged well, so be warned!)

Yeah, well, okay then. I do know that one.

Good pick, CiCi, and despite I don't know all here I admire your choices and how they are not the usual stuff all over again. Major props for that!

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Yeah, well, okay then. I do know that one.

Good pick, CiCi, and despite I don't know all here I admire your choices and how they are not the usual stuff all over again. Major props for that!
Thanks Med! I think a lot of people would recognise these actresses, but just wouldn't be able to put a name to them, I think Adrienne is a good example because loads of people have seen her in that, but who realistically remembers her name afterwards

Some of the later ones are much more iconic, but some are more subtle as well

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
6. Katharine Isabelle

Claims to Fame:
Ginger Snaps (2000)
American Mary (2012)

Also known for:
Insomnia (2002)
Freddy vs Jason (2003)
Hannibal (2013-2015) TV series

Katharine Isabelle puts even Linnea Quigley to shame by having 109 credits to date whilst only being in her early thirties! But it was the turn of the millennium that saw Ms. Isabelle gain widespread exposure and recognition for portraying the lead in the Canadian horror, Ginger Snaps. Ms. Isabelle then went on to receive an enormous quantity of roles, primarily in horror, and primarily in Canada, only ever venturing into mainstream films on an infrequent basis, such as her role in Insomnia where she was cast alongside various A-listers, such as Al Pacino and Hilary Swank.

I've actually only seen one of Ms. Isabelle's films, the 2012 surprise hit American Mary, ironically a Canadian horror film that saw her popularity resurge. In it, she plays a medical student who turns to stripping when her financial status becomes extremely desperate, where she slowly slips into the world of underground surgeries and body modification. I was totally blown away by her performance though, she was so engaging, compelling and persuading in her role, and she thoroughly deserved all of the awards she received for her work in this film, if not more. I really hope she goes on to have a hugely successful career, because she's one of the best working actresses in horror there is today, and can certainly be considered a modern day scream queen.

Her real name is actually Katharine Isobel Murray, and she gets called Katie by a lot of her friends. She also completely refuses to do nude scenes, so in films like Freddy vs Jason she had to use a double, in fact, in the early 2000s, the same woman did all of her nude scenes!

Oh yes. Katherine Isabelle made American Mary bearable. And of course, Ginger Snaps is a horror favorite of mine. Love her.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Oh yes. Katherine Isabelle made American Mary bearable. And of course, Ginger Snaps is a horror favorite of mine. Love her.
She really did! It's strange, I want to love that film, because I thought some parts were amazing and it was original and refreshing, but heck the plot was a bit of a mess which spoils it a bit

I really need to see Ginger Snaps I think everyone seems to love it!

Ginger Snaps was on my Top 50 Horror List and I love it as well as I love Isabelle's performance in that one. She suits the film nicely.

Can't believe you haven't watched that yet and you put it on your Scream Queen list!?! GET TO IT, CALLUM!!!

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Ginger Snaps was on my Top 50 Horror List and I love it as well as I love Isabelle's performance in that one. She suits the film nicely.

Can't believe you haven't watched that yet and you put it on your Scream Queen list!?! GET TO IT, CALLUM!!!
I explained why I put her on!! Calm yoself Med!

I'm definitely going to have to watch this pretty quick though! I'll be amazed if she can beat her work in American Mary!

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
5. Marilyn Burns

Claim to Fame:
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

Also known for:
Helter Skelter (1976) TV movie
Death Trap (1976)

Although Ms. Burns was by no means the first scream queen, she is perhaps the most iconic, with her legacy and influence made very apparent throughout the following decades that followed one of the most successful horror films of all time, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. To be honest, I thought the film was a little overrated and has not aged particularly well at all, due to all of its cheap imitations that make it hard to watch retrospectively. Nevertheless, considering she largely just screams for the duration of the film, Ms. Burns was astounding and really was quite a find. Her scene at the conclusion of the film exemplifies all of her capabilities, and she was just as terrifying in that singular moment as Leatherface had been throughout the whole film.

Her following career was just like her personality, humble and reserved. She would never appear in a prominent role in a film for the remainder of her life, although her IMDb credits have been massively expanded following her premature death in the summer of 2014, and it looks like she had a comfortable and stable career. She also would appear in an abundance of fan conventions, and was often described as a genuinely lovely and generous lady, which makes her departure all the most heartbreaking.

Nevertheless, she made it all the way up here because she could have gone on to do amazing things had she chosen to, and even though I criticised Camille Keaton for never taking up another developed role, Marilyn Burns' embodiment of Sally Hardesty will always remain in the limelight as one of the greatest and most authentic women in horror.

The fact that she also shares a birthday with me has nothing to do with her placement either I swear

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
She the main reason I hate that film, despite that, as it's Scream Queens I can't not rep that. That's all she bloody does.
I knew you wouldn't necessarily like this pick, I've seen you rip this film a part elsewhere but I have to disagree, I thought she was one of the much better aspects of this film

Overall though, I'm still not quite sure how this film managed to generate as much publicity as it did really.

Originally Posted by CiCi
although her IMDb credits have been massively expanded following her premature death in the summer of 2014
Sexy Curse.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
4. Daria Nicolodi

Claims to Fame:
Deep Red (1975)
Tenebrae (1982)
Phenomena (1985)

Also known for:
Suspiria (1977) (voice of the witch, and co-writer)
Inferno (1980)
Opera (1987)

At the tender age of 24, Ms. Nicolodi entered into the casting process of Deep Red where she met the up and coming Italian director, Dario Argento. What would ensue over the following decades would be one of the most inventive, imaginative and innovative partnerships in the history of horror. This began with the aforementioned Deep Red in which she portrayed a young journalist who stole every scene she was in, I adored her in this role, and it's hard not to realise how Argento fell in love with her, not only was she gorgeous in it, but her acting was so particular, but charming and irresistible too.

She would then invent the concept that would later become Suspiria which, in my opinion, is the greatest horror film of all time, and as such her abilities as a writer (she claims to have invented the title, script and concept) quickly equalled her abilities as an actress. She would only act in the remaining two instalments of the trilogy, Inferno and the 2007 The Mother of Tears which never achieved the dazzling heights that the original film would achieve.

However, her professional partnership with Argento would even continue after the couple decided to split up (they also parented the actress Asia Argento in this time too!) and her character in Phenomena would even inspire one of the most creepy and feared video games of all time, Clock Tower. Her scenes in Tenebrae and Opera would also go on to become, arguably, the most memorable scenes within each film, and the latter was even referenced in Saw II.

Her influence seemingly holds no bounds, in fact, she's probably the most influential scream queen that no one knows the name of, as sad as that is
She wouldn't just work with Argento either, she would also work alongside other acclaimed directors within the horror industry, such as Mario Bava.

But overall, I decided to pop her into number 4 because I adore her just as much as I adore Argento, and she will forever be one of the most cherished scream queens within the entirety of Europe!