CiCi's Top Ten "Forgettable films with amazing theme songs"

Tools    

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
5. "A View to a Kill" by Duran Duran (A View to a Kill - 1985)

Probably one of my least favourite Bond films, and despite Roger Moore's excellency in playing the notorious British secret agent, he was slightly weaker in this one, and at the age of 58, it was a little difficult not to notice, considering how this character is meant to be perpetually youthful.

I'm not actually that big a fan of the theme, but it's undeniable, this song has continued success, and it's another addition to the list that I wish really shocked at when I learned it was a Bond theme although if I listened to the lyrics, like I should have done, I probably wouldn't have been so surprised

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
4. "It Must Have Been Love" by Roxette (Pretty Woman - 1990)

Julia Roberts' breakout role was, to be honest, from a pretty average romcom that almost seemed to glamourise the life of a prostitute, something that probably should never be attempted. I thought Roberts herself was rather excellent in this film though, but an Oscar nom seemed like quite a stretch at the same time.

Nevertheless, this film wasn't even the primary song used in association with the film, yet it went on to become a surprise hit, reaching number 1 in countries across the globe in the summer of 1990. This song is also a guilty pleasure of mine and the lyrics are very poignant, which is more that can be said for the film.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I mean it won a BAFTA so it can't be too bad and I reckon I wouldn't mind it either, but the film only has 15,000 votes on IMDb which definitely emphasises how the film just hasn't survived in comparison to the song.
Well, since it is an award winner (especially a winner of one of the big awards), it must be good, right?

Seriously? Now that this has been brought up, I am in the mood to watch it. It has been long enough since I have seen it. And I am in the mood to sit through something "simple" like that again.

I LOVED "It Must Have Been Love". Love it!! But I HATED "Pretty Woman". I hadn't seen it in the theater. I watched it when it first came on TV to see what the big deal was. And I can honestly remember thinking "I don't care about any of this" while I was watching it. You know what? I watched the movie twice. The second time was to see if I was just being negative and unfair that day, but I wasn't. I like my share of romantic comedies (quite a lot, actually), but this never did it for me.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Well, since it is an award winner (especially a winner of one of the big awards), it must be good, right?

Seriously? Now that this has been brought up, I am in the mood to watch it. It has been long enough since I have seen it. And I am in the mood to sit through something "simple" like that again.

I LOVED "It Must Have Been Love". Love it!! But I HATED "Pretty Woman". I hadn't seen it in the theater. I watched it when it first came on TV to see what the big deal was. And I can honestly remember thinking "I don't care about any of this" while I was watching it. You know what? I watched the movie twice. The second time was to see if I was just being negative and unfair that day, but I wasn't. I like my share of romantic comedies (quite a lot, actually), but this never did it for me.
Well Rosanna Arquette won it, so at least she was good in it

I feel the same way, it was okay, but I have no idea how it managed to do so well at all, I thought it was pretty average in more or less every way. I do LOVE that song too, it's brilliant

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
3. "Nobody Does It Better" by Carly Simon (The Spy Who Loved Me - 1977)

I've never seen this particular Bond film, yet it looks as though it is a good addition to the series, gaining fairly high scores across the most prominent review sites, but, with the recent resurgence with modern Bond films, I think it's fairly reasonable to say that, sadly, this film has somewhat faded into obscurity somewhat.

Nevertheless, Carly Simon's theme song, is arguably one of the greatest ever Bond theme songs, and its popularity seems to have outlasted its accompanying film to quite a substantial degree.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Oh my God I totally forgot about this
It was intentional though, I was just... Building the suspense, that's all!

I will post the top 2 tomorrow though, sorry everyone!

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
2. "Everything I do" by Bryan Adams (Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - 1991)

This film's a pretty mixed one for me, I really liked some elements, but I hated others. Namely, Kevin Costner, who I thought was pretty bad in this. Overall, I did quite like it though, nevertheless, Robin Hood has been adapted many times, and will continue to be so, yet it's theme, by Bryan Adams, left everyone weak at the knees when they first heard this, and it isn't hard to see why it was such an overwhelming phenomenon across the world upon its release, it's certainly one of my favourite ever songs. In fact, over here in the UK, it holds the record for most consecutive weeks at number 1 (16) which is pretty astounding

Now, I haven't seen this film, but I think I can already say for sure that this song is simply too great to be in a cheesy Robin Hood adaption.

This song is classic, amazing. Doubt the movie can live up to it. Good pick!

I love the way they use "Into the Groove" in the movie...Madonna's character, Susan, is in a club dancing to "Into the Groove"...it's an oddly surreal moment, but I love it. I have never understood why there isn't more love for Desperately Seeking Susan...the screenplay is brilliant and so is Rosanna Arquette.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I love the way they use "Into the Groove" in the movie...Madonna's character, Susan, is in a club dancing to "Into the Groove"...it's an oddly surreal moment, but I love it. I have never understood why there isn't more love for Desperately Seeking Susan...the screenplay is brilliant and so is Rosanna Arquette.
I think I'll have to check it out sometime now, because everyone here seems to adore it so thanks for sharing!

Let the night air cool you off
I saw Charli XCX pop up in the thread, so I figured I'd just post this.

Lyrically... well the song is still what it is. But Charli making it a punkpop song is fun though.

The backing vocals make me happy.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
But I love Prince of Thieves...
Don't get me wrong, I did quite like this film ... but the song did far better critically and commercially I think and I bet it'll be relevant a lot longer than the film will be perhaps

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
1. "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor (Rocky III - 1982)

I haven't seen this film, I haven't actually seen any Rocky films, but this is another addition to the list where I was gob-smacked to learn that this was a theme to a film. Rocky III actually received pretty positive reviews, and I'm sure they're thoroughly deserved, yet the influence of this song is far more significant, and is one of the best selling singles of all time, that and I adore every second of it . The song itself also went on to receive a nomination at the Globes, BAFTAs and the Academy awards too!

I hated the third Rocky film, so to me this is a great pick. Yes, the song obviously a classic and amazing.

I always knew this song was related to the Rocky films, even as a child, but what surprised me was that the song wasn't introduced until the third movie.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I hated the third Rocky film, so to me this is a great pick. Yes, the song obviously a classic and amazing.

I always knew this song was related to the Rocky films, even as a child, but what surprised me was that the song wasn't introduced until the third movie.
Yeah, once I realised it was attached to a film, I instantly thought of the first Rocky... but nope they were going to use a different song as well before they used this one too I think.