2nd Chance Hall of Fame

Tools    

Weird is relative.
Is @neiba still around? They haven't posted any reviews yet.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I'm still in, Just finishing the 17th and I'll dive into this one! I only have 2 new watches and a couple of rewatches to make. Many of these I've seen very recently.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Finally caught up on the front page again. Sorry for slacking on this, been quite busy

I could still use help with links to films I haven't seen. Links with subtitles that is if anyone can help me out.

Jumping back into Second Chance tomorrow.

Sorry for being a lame host lately. I will be jumping into Raise the Red Lantern for my second watch of it tomorrow.

By the way, once you get past a second watch in general of a movie, do you ever remember how many times you've seen it after that. It'd be like me saying "This is my 64th watch of Shawshank Redemption". I guess would have been cooler if I tracked my movie watching earlier than 3 years ago.

I'd probably remember watching something 3 times, but 4 or more definitely makes things harder to track for me.
I guess 3 isn't too bad to remember, I would agree

Raise the Red Lantern

Second watch for me on this. I enjoyed it more this time. Really liked the color palette, specifically the use of red, it's a very beautifully shot film. It's got a really nice and catchy score too. Didn't mind the story either. I still remain not a huge fan of the ending though and I do wish I could care more for the main character but I thought Gong Li did a good job.

I wish I loved it though, if that makes sense. I kind of wish that more had happened as certain parts do drag on. But I think it is a very solid film. Not sure why I disliked it the first go around.
I'd like to repeat myself saying that the cinematography is definitely the film highlight and many aspiring filmmakers can learn a thing or two from how that film was made visually.
+

Also, I don't think we will see Thursday for awhile, so it probably makes sense to officially eliminate Farewell my Concubine from actual HOF participation. I'll still try to give it a go.

Also, I don't think we will see Thursday
for awhile, so it probably makes sense to officially eliminate Farewell my Concubine from actual HOF participation. I'll still try to give it a go.
I hope all is well with @Thursday Next. I'm glad I watched Farewell My Concubine, I always seem to enjoy Thursday's HoF nominations. I do hope she can join future HoFs she's always a great HoF member and it just wouldn't be the same without her.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Also, I don't think we will see Thursday for awhile, so it probably makes sense to officially eliminate Farewell my Concubine from actual HOF participation. I'll still try to give it a go.
I hope all is well with Thursday. I'm glad I watched Farewell My Concubine, I always seem to enjoy Thursday's HoF nominations. I do hope she can join future HoFs she's always a great HoF member and it just wouldn't be the same without her.
hope everything is okay as well. She IS wonderful to have in HoFs!!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS @Thursday Next WHERE EVER YOU MAY BE!!

Weird is relative.
Yeah, I'm still glad I watched it, I had wanted to at some point anyway.

Yeah, I'm still glad I watched it, I had wanted to at some point anyway.
I remember enjoying it the first time I saw it as well. Was looking forward to seeing it again. I still might.

Ed Wood (1994)

Tim Burton is at his directing best here. His natural passion for gothic filmmaking and oddball personality crossing over with the story of the 'Worst Director of All Time'. Coming off Edward Scissorhands and Batman Returns, this feels like a more restrained Burton stylistically and it results in something with a style of its own. It's a view of Wood as something of a failed visionary who let his imagination run too far and learned how to creatively deal with budgetary restraint. It does a great job of building sympathy for Wood. On first watch, I was expecting a parody that totally mocked him so credit to this one for going somewhere surprising.

The homage to both B and monster movies clearly fit the vibe of the film. Burton himself was influenced by these genres so it's quite cool to see him pay homage. The entire ending sequence in particular is a stand out and I'd definitely state that Ed Wood has the best cinematography of any Burton film.

I like that Ed Wood lingers in the cartoonish and odd but it's also grounded in the friendship dynamic between Depp's Wood and Landau's Lugosi. I enjoyed their interactions and Landau certainly earned his Oscar here. He covers virtually the entire emotional spectrum.

Good pick @CosmicRunaway

@rauldc14

Ed Wood

I've always enjoyed Tim Burton films for their off-kilter subject matter and a love for the darker aspects of our psyche with splashes of brightness within the folds of those aspects.
And over the years I have come to love Depp's performances. Both the serious and the outrageously odd. It's like witnessing a virtuoso just going utterly silly for silliness sake.

And together, they delve into the oddball with both love and respect for oddity. Therefore, it is no wonder that, together, they are able to pay homage, accordingly, to Director Edward D Wood Jr.
Admittedly, I STILL have not sat through an entire film of his, regardless of how pre-determined I am any time I've watched this film. Which I enjoy, for so many reasons that have already been expressed in previous reviews.
The skillful lighting, the intriguing characters throughout the film, and from the research I've done, some very strong replication of key scenes of Wood's films.

This time around I did attempt to find an interview or actual footage of Wood to see a comparison of Depp's representation and see if he came as close to nailing it as the others did to their representative real life individual.
Sadly, to no avail.
Perhaps, one day.
I will, like Depp's representation, remain optimistic and continue to dream and to fight for that dream. Which, of course, deep within, is the message beneath the story of "The Worst Director".
Dreams are worth fighting for.
Which is kind of a staple for a lot of Burton's work and while it can be quite naive, it still remains a beautiful sentiment.

...Edward D Wood Jr.
Admittedly, I STILL have not sat through an entire film of his, regardless of how pre-determined I am any time I've watched this film...
I actually thought about nominating an Ed Wood Jr film for the next Hof...When I first watched Ed Wood I had NO idea who the real Ed Wood Jr. was, but I remedied that by watching this:

Admittedly some of the films are just plain bad, but there's some good stuff here too:
Disc One
GLEN OR GLENDA? (1953) – The cross-dressing classic that started it all, with Wood as a triple threat – writer, director, and star, along with future Plan 9 co-stars Bela Lugosi, Dolores Fuller, Lyle Talbot, and Conrad Brooks.

JAIL BAIT (1954) – Ed Wood goes film noir with this cautionary tale of a naïve young man who is lured into a life of crime. Dolores Fuller and Lyle Talbot co-star once again, and future Hercules Unchained star Steve Reeves has his first speaking role in this film as a police lieutenant.

BRIDE OF THE MONSTER (1955) – One of Wood’s most-celebrated...er...creations, with Bela Lugosi as a mad scientist who kidnaps people and tries to turn them into super-men using atomic power. Tor Johnson and Paul Marco make their Ed Wood debuts as Lobo and Kelton the Cop, dis-respectively.

THE VIOLENT YEARS (1956) – Wood penned the script for this good-girls-gone-bad tale, helmed by veteran western director William Morgan. In something of a switch from Glen or Glenda, the girls dress up as boys in order to commit their crimes! Timothy Farrell of Glen or Glenda and Jail Bait is the only Ed Wood returnee here.

Disc Two
NIGHT OF THE GHOULS (1959) – Wood is back behind the megaphone again as the director and writer of this strange tale that is arguably worse than Plan 9 From Outer Space (if such a thing is possible). Western star Kenne Duncan is Dr. Acula (get it?), a phony spiritualist who conducts fake séances. Tor Johnson and Paul Marco reprise their perennial roles as Lobo and Kelton the Cop.

PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE (1959) – Wood’s piece de resistance (or piece of something). The grand-prize winner of so many so-bad-it’s-good lists, this horror/sci-fi curiosity has something to do with evil (and kinda bitchy) aliens who come to earth and resurrect the dead, using these vampire-zombies to help them take over the world. Starring Wood favorites Lyle Talbot, Tor Johnson, Paul Marco, Bela Lugosi, and Tom Mason (Wood’s wife’s chiropractor) as Bela’s double (since Lugosi died before principal photography had commenced).

BONUS FEATURE: The Ed Wood Story – An affectionate look at E.W. featuring clips and interviews with those who knew and admired him, including Dolores Fuller, Johnny Depp, and Martin Landau.
Jail Bate, The Violent Years and Plan Nine From Outer Space would be my favorites.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	51m-qTYbdNL._SY445_.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	50459  

There are a couple of them on youtube; Glen or Glenda and Plan 9. Not sure, but I THINK Bride of Monster is as well. That one's iffy.

I should just watch Glen or Glenda to see Wood himself. Though I was hoping to see the person instead of him acting.