New Individual Movie Pages

Tools    

Okay, it's up: you can now rate movies individually. It's not on mobile yet, but that shouldn't be long, once I've confirmed there aren't any major issues with the desktop version.

A few notes:
  • You can remove or change your rating at any time.
  • If you've reviewed a film, your rating is already in the DB. However, you can overwrite it from the individual movie changes. It won't go back and change the rating on your review, but it will take priority over your review rating.
  • The film will automatically be marked Seen if you rate it, though it won't be unmarked if you remove the rating (since, logically, you can see a movie and not rate it, but you can't rate it without seeing it).
  • I've added a search box on each movie page. Next step, hopefully, is incorporating movie search into the thread/post search in the header.
This page is getting a tad crowded (at least, relative to the extremely clean layouts I prefer, when possible), so some of this stuff might be rearranged, if I can come up with something better.

Oh, and preemptively: yes, these ratings will be incorporated into the big Seen Log page; just have to make some decisions about how to display all that information.

I like it! I just rated Star Wars Return of the Jedi (a film I've never reviewed). I liked the way you have Your Rating and Average Rating, side by side. I also like how I can drag my mouse cursor over the popcorn bags and the numerical rating scores pop up automatically for me to see, then I click the one I want. Very cool

I dislike crowded web pages too, but, the movie pages don't look too crowded to me, I like them.

Going to add my ratings for the movies i've seen this year later.

I have the only (tagged at least) review for three different movies . Day of Wrath, Paisan and The Brood. Surprised The Brood hadn't been reviewed.

Is it possible or will there be possible to see highest ranked movies or movies ranked by most people and such?
Aye, definitely. Gonna let the system collect some more data (since nearly all of the ratings now are just from reviews), but I think we'll probably have stuff like that on the Movies page, in addition to the search box that's there now.

Question: was the little red X, that's under Your Rating:, there this morning? I don't remember it seeing it (but I was tired). I don't why but it makes me think of some type of warning. Not a fan of the X in that location. (Just giving some feedback)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	29482  

Question: was the little red X, that's under Your Rating:, there this morning?
No, it was added along with the ability to rate films: it allows you to remove the rating.

I don't why but it makes me think of some type of warning.
I don't think it's particularly weird that a big red X reminds you of a warning.

Not a fan of the X in that location. (Just giving some feedback)
Don't worry, you don't need to qualify criticism, particularly when it's constructive.

As for the location: where would you suggest it be? Keep in mind it needs to stay close to the rating. I originally had it on the other side of the rating image, but that means either a) having it "push" the rating over when it fades into view, or b) having extra blank space to the left of the rating even before the person knows what it's for. Having it after avoids both.

Thanks.

On Citizen's suggestion, I replaced the red X with a yellow minus sign. I might tweak the color, size, or style a bit. When I was laying everything out, I had a similar feeling to CR, about it seeming too much like an error and drawing the eye more than made sense for the option, so I think this is better.

The yellow minus sign looks better than the red X, but I'm still not a fan of it. I'll try to explain...

As for the location: where would you suggest it be? Keep in mind it needs to stay close to the rating.
I liked it much better the way you had it before:
I originally had it on the other side of the rating image, but that means either a) having it "push" the rating over when it fades into view, or b) having extra blank space to the left of the rating even before the person knows what it's for.
the reason why is: the Remove Your Rating was more or less out of sight, but still there if needed.

It seems to me the ability for someone to remove their rating, isn't going to be used much at all, as you have already provided for the ability for us to be able to go back and change the rating (a neat option too). I would guess someone removing a rating would only happen if they inadvertently rated a movie they hadn't seen. So maybe the way it was, would work(as it would be used much anyway).

Maybe it's just me, but the user rating is something cool for us to see, like a little badge of honor, or somthing we earned (or did) and having something on the end of it like the yellow minus sign seems to take away from the rating itself. It's like information overloaded (at least for me.) I know that might sound silly, but I guess it's a visual thing.

Very cool, very nice, and very colorful, I'd been thinking those links ought to have gone to some sort of info page.

Thought: Since we can tag movies as seen or not, could "# movies seen" not be a user profile stat? Or perhaps even a number on each movie's page how many MoFo's have seen it (maybe next to average rating)?

It seems to me the ability for someone to remove their rating, isn't going to be used much at all, as you have already provided for the ability for us to be able to go back and change the rating (a neat option too). I would guess someone removing a rating would only happen if they inadvertently rated a movie they hadn't seen. So maybe the way it was, would work(as it would be used much anyway).
I agree it might not be used much, but I think the option has to be there. And if it's there at all, and on the left, it doesn't matter how often it's used, because the gap I'm talking about will always show. It looks like this:

Only other option is "bumping" it over to make room, which is a pretty big UX no-no, particularly with any element the user interacts with. Because then, they click on it, and suddenly their mouse is over a different part of what they clicked on.

Maybe it's just me, but the user rating is something cool for us to see, like a little badge of honor, or somthing we earned (or did) and having something on the end of it like the yellow minus sign seems to take away from the rating itself. It's like information overloaded (at least for me.) I know that might sound silly, but I guess it's a visual thing.
Nah, doesn't sound silly. I get what you're saying.

I think the best compromise I can manage without creating some other problem is just toning down the color or size a little bit. Slightly smaller, paler yellow (or even light gray). I'll play around. EDIT: I've changed it to one of the beige tones used elsewhere on the site and bumped the size down a little, and I'm cutting the opacity in half, only restoring it to full opacity when the mouse hovers over it. I think, all together, this helps a fair bit.

Either way, appreciate the suggestions, and I do think replacing the red X was a good idea.

Thought: Since we can tag movies as seen or not, could "# movies seen" not be a user profile stat? Or perhaps even a number on each movie's page how many MoFo's have seen it (maybe next to average rating)?
Yeah, I can't tell you exactly how stuff like this will happen yet, because managing the finite space on these pages is usually the biggest hurdle, but in a word: yes. Either this, or stuff a lot like this, will happen.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
@Yoda, extremely nice and clean.

This site is looking better and better with each update. More user interaction with film ratings and reviews, I like it. Kudos.

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm going to go through my IMDB ratings and convert them over here.

Will there ever be a user ratings list? See how many people have rated films all together?

Also, how do ratings of a ZERO affect a film? Since there is no difference between a haven't seen it rating and a rating of a zero for a film. Just asking, for Carnivore.

@Yoda, extremely nice and clean.

This site is looking better and better with each update. More user interaction with film ratings and reviews, I like it. Kudos.
Thanks a lot. That's good to hear after the time put into it. I worried, in particular, that I was wasting too much time on layout when I had most of the functionality done long ago.

I'm going to go through my IMDB ratings and convert them over here.
If IMDB gives you a way to export them, send me an exported file, and I'll see how easy an import script is.

Will there ever be a user ratings list? See how many people have rated films all together?
Yeah, the plan is to do...well, all the basic stuff you're likely to want. Per-user lists of seen films and ratings, aggregated stats, etc. I'll probably start toying with layout ideas as soon as next week.

Also, how do ratings of a ZERO affect a film? Since there is no difference between a haven't seen it rating and a rating of a zero for a film. Just asking, for Carnivore.
Good catch: because the script doesn't let you rate 0s (just 0.5s), I was excluding the reviews with zeroes (since reviews do allow it) for the time being, for consistency. I'll let them through, though, for now, and take a crack at jury-rigging some little space to the left of the popcorn that lets you do that. Stay tuned.

Quick update:

Good catch: because the script doesn't let you rate 0s (just 0.5s), I was excluding the reviews with zeroes (since reviews do allow it) for the time being, for consistency. I'll let them through, though, for now, and take a crack at jury-rigging some little space to the left of the popcorn that lets you do that. Stay tuned.
I've added the ability to rate films as 0s; there's a little blank space just to the left of the popcorn rating image that triggers it. I spent a bit of time trying to settle on how much width felt "right," and I think the result feels reasonably intuitive.

Let me know if you guys have any issues with it. Preemptively, though, I'm not sure a lot can be done to make it easy to click on mobile devices not using the mobile style. Speaking of which, no issues with the system in general yet, so I'm going to try to get it added to the mobile style later today.