Cobpyth's Movie Log ~ 2017

→ in
Tools    

Unregistered User
#17 - Death in Venice (1971) ~ January 27

A composer gets obsessed with perfection, purity and youth in the form of a young boy... Death in Venice is a slow and poetic film that couldn't look more stunning. Its slow burning approach is liberating and very effective during several magnificent scenes, but during other moments it does come close to feeling a little tedious. I was able to stay focused and engaged during the whole film, but I'm sure not everyone would.
I'm glad I've seen this visual masterpiece, but for now I'm more eager to revisit certain peak moments of it instead of the whole thing all over again.

P.S. This was my first Visconti picture. Can anyone tell me how this film compares to some of his other work?

This sounds great, I'll add to watch list. I've seen Rocco and his Brothers and The Leopard by Visconti and loved both. I especially think you would enjoy The Leopard and would love to hear your thoughts on it. I'm not going to be much use to you as I haven't seen Death in Venice to compare (and probably wouldn't be much use to you even if I had) but I definitely recommend them. Rocco has a much faster pace than The Leopard I found but that's certainly not a criticism.

I have Boccaccio 70 in the house to watch that Visconti directed a segment in which I'm really looking forward to. It also has De Sica and Fellini.

#19 - La La Land (2016) ~ January 30

During the first four fifth of the film I wasn't really that impressed. Granted, there were some very well made scenes and the whole film looks gorgeous, but I wasn't touched by anything. Nothing completely sucked me in. Then the fifth part starts and it's pure musical art. Absolutely stunning!
I didn't cry like I did with Umbrellas of Cherbourg's ending, because the build-up wasn't strong enough for it to have that kind of magical effect on me, but I still felt a certain thrill of satisfaction.
So, all in all, I can't call this film a complete success for me, but I can't really say that I'm disappointed either. I'll definitely revisit that last part a few more times in the future!

P.S. I'm going to Paris for three days with my girlfriend, so expect my next update to be in about four days. I've watched 19 new films in January. I'm quite glad with that, considering I couldn't watch much in the beginning because I had an exam on the 12th. I'll try to reach the same number in Februay, which is a shorter month.

Thanks for all the reps and reactions so far. I'm enjoying this!

I keep reading and hearing positive things about La La Land, but I'm still quite certain that I would hate it.
You would. I didn't completely hate it but i didn't like it much either for the same reasons i'm guessing you wouldn't. It looks amazing though.

What are some of the reasons why you didn't like it, Camo? Have you written about it somewhere already? I have a few I can think of, but I'm eager to read what your thoughts are.

What are some of the reasons why you didn't like it, Camo? Have you written about it somewhere already? I have a few I can think of, but I'm eager to read what your thoughts are.
Well mainly i still find musicals particularly ones were characters burst into song difficult to enjoy. I also had some problems with their relationship. Here's my post it's not well written or anything but it should give my general problems -

http://www.movieforums.com/community...59#post1634159

Agree with your complete review there, Camo. Only difference is that I'm a big musical fan, so I didn't really have any problems with the majority of the singing. I also have the feeling that I liked a few specific scenes and in particular the final fifth a little more than you did, even though you say you appreciated the theater scene (for instance) and the ending as well.

I'm in a pretty comfortable position when it comes to this film. I can perfectly understand the camp that thinks it's overrated, but I also get why many people love it so much.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I've talked about it before how I'm not a musical fan, but this movie blew me away and it definitely makes me realize I could like any type of film.

I don't even want Miss Vicky to see it. She would tear it apart.

REWATCH #1 - The Hateful Eight (2015) ~ February 3

Still getting better and better every time I rewatch it. I especially appreciated some of the earlier dialogues a lot more this time around. The context of the characters and the time period the story is set in are of a major importance in this film and Tarantino understood this very well. I think it's the most grown-up attempt at a somewhat "political" film that QT has made so far.
Of course he doesn't shy away from the typical primary indulgences he loves to use so much, but it's really the complex and hateful undercurrent of the relationships between the characters that drives this film.
The Hateful Eight also probably has the most heartfelt and mature ending of all of his films. It's the only Tarantino ending that is able to make me tear up. It basically takes a stand against everything that just took place in the film. It's a slice of deceptively bright humanity in an otherwise extremely dark and animalistic film. The Lincoln letter is a cry for genuineness, disguised in the form of a cynical lie. Brilliant.

The Hateful Eight is great (no rhyme intended i swear, sorry haha). The Hateful Eight is my fifth fave Tarantino after his 90's films in the order they were released then Inglorious Basterds as my #4. It's always weird telling people i think The Hateful Eight is better than Django Unchained haha.

I also think The Hateful Eight is probably a better film overall. Django Unchained lacks that strong third act to conclude its first magnificent two acts, which contain some the best stuff Tarantino has done in his whole career. The film as a whole suffers from it a little bit.
The Hateful Eight may not have as many peaks as Django Unchained has (for me), but it's definitely much more consistent, which is an important factor to take into account when judging a complete film, I believe.

#20 - Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981) ~ February 4

I've seen the first Mad Max many years ago and seen the fourth in the theater when it came out, but I'd never seen the second and the third Mad Max before today. My father was in the mood to watch this, so I decided to join him.
I liked it and I feel that I might like it even more after another rewatch, so I can fully focus on the film's atmosphere and stunts. Badass picture.

P.S. For the first time in a long while I've seen three films in one day, so there'll be two more posts in just a moment.

#21 - Saboteur (1942) ~ February 4

I was going through my DVD shelf and I decided to watch one of the few Hitchcock pictures that I hadn't seen yet. This one first came to mind. I expected an intimate crime film in the trend of Shadow of a Doubt, but I actually got a huge spy thriller!
It may lack the clearheadedness and the sheer genius of Hitch's later spy epic, North By Northwest, but there are still plenty of great moments here to enjoy. The film gets a bit too chaotic near the end and not every twist or turn is as believable as the other, but this movie offers a wild ride full of suspense and adventure that every cinephile should at least be somewhat entertained by.
It's definitely not Hitch at the top of his game, but his great filmmaking mind is still very clearly present here.

#22 - September (1987) ~ February 4

I was feeling a bit melancholic at 1:30AM, so I decided to watch one of the last remaining Woody Allen films I still needed to watch. This was my 45th Woody Allen film.
September is a moody chamber drama from the period when Woody was still able to make the viewer (read: me) feel truly intimate with his material. It's not some of the best work he's ever done, as it lacks some originality and sparks of genius for that (which both are present in some of his other work), but it was effective enough in making me feel the emotions and pains of these characters. Something Woody rarely has been able to do with his most recent films...