Cobpyth's Movie Log ~ 2017

→ in
Tools    

Anatomy of a Murder is very good. It really doesn't feel almost three hours long. Hana-bi is the only Kitano i've seen, didn't love it did quite like it though and i'm interested in more from him.

#5 - Hardcore (1979) ~ January 15

This is a very messy and raw film, but I did respect and enjoy it. There are plenty of thrilling scenes throughout and the movie was definitely able to grab my full attention with its dark and perverse atmosphere. In the end there was something very anticlimactic about the whole experience, though. That wouldn't usually work for a film like this, but it fitted the theme of repression rather well here, which is why it all came together pretty satisfyingly for me anyway.

George C. Scott is always a treat to watch of course! He's a fantastic actor.

#7 - Sausage Party (2016) ~ January 16

The satire in this film is a bit too on the nose and it's the execution of the ideas that's clever, rather than the ideas themselves, but all in all I feel like I had a pretty good time watching this. Sometimes sheer excess and originality are the only elements I need to remain interested in something. This was the case here.

Seth Rogen and his gang will probably never make something truly brilliant, but I always find myself entertained with and even excited for (most of) the material they're bringing out. This attitude hasn't changed after watching Sausage Party.

Wait, where was the originality?
The content (i.e. sexualized stoner comedy) and the form (i.e. animated humanized objects) aren't original separately, but the combination definitely was for me. I'd never seen a condom being traumatized before.

Fair enough. I'm glad you got something out of it. I think what killed it for me was how obnoxious it was (for me), and I think that's probably why comedy in general isn't my fave genre, though there are good ones.

#8 - Same Time, Next Year (1978) ~ January 17

I love the concept of the play this film is based on. It's about two married people deciding to meet eachother every year at the same place to spend a weekend with eachother, having sex and talking about eachother's lives with their respective spouses. Half an hour into the film I had the feeling the concept wasn't being executed like I wanted it to be, though, and I couldn't really connect with the characters (despite them being played by two actors that I absolutely adore)...
BUT somehow, after the second weekend that's being shown, about one fourth into the film, the story of these two people started to win me over. The film begins to cover more unfamiliar territory and things start getting interesting. I laughed plenty of times and even almost cried once. This ended up being a very nice and heartfelt experience for me. A lovely romantic dramedy!

#9 - Enough Said (2013) ~ January 18

This was on TV, so I watched it with my youngest sister. It didn't really do that much for me. I love both of the leading actors, though.

Man, Amadeus is so great. What did you think of it then, did you post a review i can read?

Haven't seen any of the others but that Enough Said picture really makes me want to watch it even though i suspect i won't think much of it like you.

Man, Amadeus is so great. What did you think of it then, did you post a review i can read?
I haven't written a review yet because I think it would pretty much say what most good reviews about it say. I thought it was pretty glorious.

The only thing I didn't like in the beginning was that Mozart was kind of portrayed as a caricature, but it became less and less troublesome throughout the film and I finally interpreted it as the way Salieri experienced him in the beginning vs the end.

A great film about jealousy, genius, ego and art.

#10 - Frost/Nixon (2008) ~ January 19

I've always been fascinated by Richard Nixon as a person and I've revisited several segments from the Frost interviews many times over the years. This was a great dramatization. I definitely recommend this film, even though I think it still can't beat watching the real interviews themselves.

P.S. Has anyone here watched Oliver Stone's Nixon? What's your opinion of it?

I've seen both Frost/Nixon and Oliver Stone's Nixon. Oliver Stone did a fine job at presenting President Nixon in a balanced way. We see he has virtues, like refusing sex with a hot tart, because he's loyal to his wife and a Quaker...and we see how his suspicious mind really shaped his presidency.

I started the film with the popular view that Nixon was horrid, and ended up feeling sympathetic for him by the end of the moive, despite his misdeeds.

I think Nixon (the movie) is well worth a watch. I'd like to see both of those again.

#11 - Foxcatcher (2014) ~ January 20

One of the better films I've seen yet about deep human frustration. Great creation of uncomfortable atmosphere.

I thought that was a good movie but boy did I find it slow.
I agree that it's slow, but it's necessary here to demonstrate how uncomfortable the whole situation and power dynamics are. Every second had a purpose and added to the experience, in my opinion.

#12 - Damsels in Distress (2011) ~ January 22

It has many of the charms of Whit Stillman's other films (cool dialogues, fantastic use of music, a pleasantly weird atmosphere, ...), but ultimately I think this is my least favorite of his. I still liked it, but I felt the supporting characters were a little less interesting and believable as usual and the environment here wasn't as fascinating to me compared to his other films.

I've now seen all of Stillman's films. I'd probably rank them like this:

1) The Last Days of Disco
2) Metropolitan
3) Love & Friendship
4) Barcelona
5) Damsels in Distress