The Home Theater Showcase Thread

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
Nice system.

Here's an update on my family's downstairs system: I scrapped the DVD player once they released the upconvert feature for the PS3 and then I hooked the cable box up over coaxial so we have surround sound for everything now. Cable, DVDs, and the PS3. I also have the 360 and 360 HD-DVD drive plugged up to the TV, as well. I have to reach around and unplug the optical cable when I switch between 360 and PS3, but that's a small price to pay.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The People's Republic of Clogher
Have you tried one of those optical splitters? I bought one for a couple of quid on eBay and it worked great with most things (can't remember now but one appliance refused to recognise the splitter), usually switching between the PS2 and PS3.

I took this picture from a downward angle so it may seem smaller than it actually is, but here's my TV, subwoofer, and part of my surround sound system. My TV is--I believe--47".

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Have you tried one of those optical splitters? I bought one for a couple of quid on eBay and it worked great with most things (can't remember now but one appliance refused to recognise the splitter), usually switching between the PS2 and PS3.
Yes, I had thought about it, but it doesn't bother me to reach around and unplug the cable. I have easy access and it only takes a second or two. Besides, the PS3 is usually plugged up most of the time so it's not enough of a hassle to warrant a splitter.

Gaaaahhhh!!! Considering the love of movies that's displayed quite lavishly here on this forum, there's certainly a good deal of contribution to the slow death of the movie theatre business. I'm a complete contrarian when it comes to home theatre systems, etc. I prefer to watch movies in the movie theatre, on a great big wide screen, with the lights down low...the way movies are meant to be viewed.

Gaaaahhhh!!! Considering the love of movies that's displayed quite lavishly here on this forum, there's certainly a good deal of contribution to the slow death of the movie theatre business. I'm a complete contrarian when it comes to home theatre systems, etc. I prefer to watch movies in the movie theatre, on a great big wide screen, with the lights down low...the way movies are meant to be viewed.
Certainly, and I'm positive that practically everyone here with a sick home theater setup sees movies in theaters on a regular basis. I mean, few people have a 100"+ screen at home.

Which is fine if you live in easy (or even moderately easy) reach of a decent cinema...

Still, are you suggesting that we all make do with a 14" B&W TV and VCR? If everyone did that there wouldn't be many films made for cinemas to actually screen.

I don't buy it.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/

• 1000W - Total Power from Satellite speakers
  • 1000W - Total power from Tallboy speakers
  • 5.1 Channels - 5 Speaker surround sound
  • Upscaling - DVDs appear in 1080p resolution
  • Subwoofer Included

37inch TV

We just added one of these to the mix.

We got it at half of retail value, so it was a deal we couldn't pass up. I am thoroughly impressed by this thing. It is, for lack of better words, sick. Makes things so much easier for my mom, and a lot more fun for me.

The Adventure Starts Here!
John, was that thing a real bear to program properly? That's my one issue with combo/universal remotes -- getting them to work with everything and have the buttons all mean what they're supposed to mean....

bought a westinghouse 40" flatscreen tv w/a DVD player inside last month. this thing has every plug-in you could possibly think of - for a ridiculously cheap price, and I am LOVING it. how could anyone possibly NOT enjoy a flatscreen that you can simultaneously hook up every system you have? i play my PC games on it/watch PC movies on it in HDMI, and can hook up my consoles, etc.

lets just say gaming and my movie experience have risen to new level. now I just need to convert my basement, get surround sound and a wall mount!

John, was that thing a real bear to program properly? That's my one issue with combo/universal remotes -- getting them to work with everything and have the buttons all mean what they're supposed to mean....
Nope, easiest thing to do (might be more difficult for novice users, but it's pretty straight forward). You use a web interface to program it. You tell the software what devices you have by their model number, and then how they are hooked up to do certain activities (watch TV, watch a movie, play 360, etc.). You can also use the LCD screen to have access to extra buttons that change based on what device you're using, or what activity you're doing.

By the push of one button, our remote turns on the TV, DVR, and AVR. It then switches the TV over to the respective video input for the DVR and audio input on the AVR. So if I had been watching a movie the last time I turned everything off my mom can still watch TV with the simple push of a button. Pretty freaking brilliant if you ask me.

Also, switching activities turns off devices you're not using, or leaves them on. It's all up to how you program the remote. With fine tuning, setup took about 30-45 minutes. I am still tweaking the thing, though.

Jerry Shaw, you have been activated.
Well, i may as well post mine.

Bedroom -

As i have a fairly small room, i don't have a large TV at the moment, when i get some more money i will be upgrading to a 30''+ TV.

Polaroid 19'' HDTV

LG Surround Sound -

Also in my room, this is one of the places i watch Blu-Ray and sit on the computer -

That's basically my computer, but with this screen. It has a Blu-Ray player built in.

22'' Full HD Samsung Screen

This works very well for my room. Main room Pics up soon!

Which is fine if you live in easy (or even moderately easy) reach of a decent cinema...

Still, are you suggesting that we all make do with a 14" B&W TV and VCR? If everyone did that there wouldn't be many films made for cinemas to actually screen.

I don't buy it.
No, Tacitus. I'm not suggesting that at all. Having an elaborate home-theatre system like that is just not my cup of tea, that's all.

The Elected Movie Eliminator
All I use is a standard TV and a DVD player. I wish I could have a 40 inch HD TV with high quality home theatre equipment but the fact of the matter is; I can't afford it.

Jerry Shaw, you have been activated.
Here's our Main Room:

Philips Cineos 42'' HDTV

PS3 - Use for watching Blu-Ray and Sometimes DVD's

Samsung DVD Upscaler

And our old DVD and Video Combo:

This is the new Tatty-telly. It cost me £30, honest.

Samsung 5 Series. The old TV bit the dust after 10 months - the store didn't have any left so I got to choose something else of the same value or add a little more to the price. TVs had come down so much in price that I was able to get a better quality set than previously for very little extra...

The home cinema is cobbled together from separates (Yamaha amp), Philips DVP5960 for DVDs and PS3 for Blu Ray.

After all is said and done, I'm going to be honest and say that if I lived out in the boonies, or even a suburb where only an antiseptic-looking multiplex cinema that plays all the schlocky films was available to me regarding movies, then I might consider getting a small home-theatre system. However, since I live within a moderate distance of three independent movie art-houses, I take advantage of them by going to a film at least once a month, due to holding simple annual memberships to them.

New DVD player time. The Philips has something wrong with the laser and is becoming a bit of a critic when choosing what to play or not.

Replacing it with a Samsung DVD-F 1080.