The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Played a ton of Disc Jam the other night.

I doubt it'll catch on anywhere near as well as Rocket League did - The graphics are pretty bland and there seriously needs to be some more variety in the music - but the core game is top notch. The only real complaint I have about the gameplay is that the perspective can lead to some uncertainty about your placement in the bottom 10% of the screen.

When Windjammers gets released (provided it's not a trainwreck of a port) I'll probably drop Disc Jam like a hot brick but for now it's definitely my multiplayer game of choice.

PS4 owners - It's free, download it!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Played a ton of Disc Jam the other night.

I doubt it'll catch on anywhere near as well as Rocket League did - The graphics are pretty bland and there seriously needs to be some more variety in the music - but the core game is top notch. The only real complaint I have about the gameplay is that the perspective can lead to some uncertainty about your placement in the bottom 10% of the screen.

When Windjammers gets released (provided it's not a trainwreck of a port) I'll probably drop Disc Jam like a hot brick but for now it's definitely my multiplayer game of choice.

PS4 owners - It's free, download it!
I did and I keep getting my ass kicked. Haven't won a game yet.

Suspect's Reviews

I did and I keep getting my ass kicked. Haven't won a game yet.
I'm winning more than I'm losing but once someone who's properly skilled comes on, I'm toast. Getting better though.

I'd say that once you get the timing down, particularly the release timing, you'll improve a lot.

Up for a game tonight? I should be around.

I'm winning more than I'm losing but once someone who's properly skilled comes on, I'm toast. Getting better though.

I'd say that once you get the timing down, particularly the release timing, you'll improve a lot.

Up for a game tonight? I should be around.
Sure, time? I'm EST.

Are you working today? If so, any time after 5pm your time will be after 10pm my time - I should be around until 12 (7pm with you).

If you're not working I'll probably be on in a couple of hours.

@Tacitus, Ha, looks like this will be more difficult then. I work weekdays until 5 and get home around 6:30pm. Then have dinner and what not. I don't usually get on until about 8:00.

Weekends I'm usually free whenever.

Aren't ppl reacting because its crap?
I wouldn't know, I haven't played much of the Mass Effect series, it's not really my thing, and I have no intention of playing it, but from what I've heard it's good, just doesn't hold a candle to the original three. Or original two, a lot of people hate on the third one a decent amount. The lowest score on Metacritic is 60, which isn't a horrible score at all. The user score is sitting at 3.9, which is just plain silly for a game that hasn't even been out for more than 10 hours.

The main criticism I hear is "well, the facial animations really suck." Who really cares. It's a really big game, not everything is going to look like a Naughty Dog game, or something. I'm sure theres more things people are dissing on, but for some reason that's the really big one I've been seeing.

Just finished Final Fantasy Xv and I wont spoil too much for future players but havent seen that good story since The Last of us.
Bought ps 4 month ago and already finushed The Last Guardian, FF15 now, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Among the sleep, Uncharted 4 and Until Dawn.
Gonna go grab for For Honor now one day. And then litteraly till they dont realise more games Im stuck with Mount Nd Blade hihihi.

Waiting for Final Fantasy 7 remake.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Disc Jam made me swear a lot the other night. This is probably sign of a good competitive online thingy

I tend to be wilfully bad at net games in real life, constantly going for ill-advised drop shots and excessive spin, this may explain my mixed performances. I'm so glad they don't keep track of stats... (I'm probably on about a 3:7 W:L ratio).

Mainly it's the dropped catches that hurt me and the fluffed interceptions though. I've got a bit better at making sure I approach from the right angle to actually grab it, but my slide rescues are still very hit and miss if it's at a slight angle.

That and my two main strategies are: Bump it down the wall, or fake to and bump it off the wall instead. And I have only a 50% control over which one ends up happening...
---

And apologies, but these memes are too cute not too share...

This review is eloquently eviscerating.

So I'm at work all day, looking forward to coming home and playing Andromeda. I let the game install and download updates while I get dinner and get a few things done so I can play the game the rest of the evening. Of course as soon as I'm able to play, the Xbox servers crash and I can't even sign in. Lovely.

Remember the good old days when you could just put a game in your console and play it?

The problem is that people act like any game with less than an 80 is a pile of garbage. A 70 might as well be a 30 to them.
Best summery I've heard is that it's a direct-to-video Mass Effect.

We put up with the jank in the others (1 and 2 anyway) because of the compelling story but Andromeda seems to have a story as clunky as its gameplay.

So I got a Switch a couple weeks ago. Did anyone else get one?

I've been liking it so far. Zelda, of course, is amazing. The hype is definitely deserved for that game. There's been plenty of open-world games in recent times but this one does it with such style and substance that it's really in a league of its own regarding that. On my last play session I was just wandering the countryside and out of nowhere just standing on a hill was a giant parrot-man playing an accordion! That's when I knew that this game was legendary!

Also got 1-2 Switch (which is meh, will probably trade it in towards Mario Kart when it comes out), Super Bomber Man R (which is pretty fun but haven't played it much) and The Binding of Isaac: AfterBirth + (just came out so only played it a couple times but I'm liking it so far!). Oh and some music game on the eShop.

Rocket League update with DropShot and Season 4.

Man, DropShot is pretty hectic for me. It's chaos and a free-for-all. At least with the other games there was some sense of teamwork, here there is nothing.

It's a little weird, you need to hit the ball to charge it up, then let it hit opponents side to light up their ground. Then you need to hit it again to charge the ball and hit the same spot to destroy the tile floor. Then you need to hit the ball, yet again, to make it fall down into the hole. Makes for very low scoring games, at least for me so far. But more points seem to be awarded.

So far, I'm not in love with it, but I can see myself warming up to it over time. Don't know how often I'll play though, it could become another Hoops.

So far, I'm not in love with it, but I can see myself warming up to it over time. Don't know how often I'll play though, it could become another Hoops.
Yeah I was afraid with the focus on super-aerial skills it might become pretty niche pretty quickly like hoops. (If you couldn't lord it in the air you couldn't even survive past kick off in that mode!)

Looking forward to having it as an option though. If you can combine it with low grav and high boost in private matches could still be grand for low-skill carnage

I've bought Everything.

"Dave", people say to me, "Dave, is that new Mass Effect game as awful as the internet says?"

"I bought Everything" I reply.

"So you should know then. Is it bad or not?"

"I have no idea, I've just bought Everything"

"But..."

The artist/dude who made Mountain has now made Everything. Unlike most of the internet, I didn't automatically and vehemently hate Mountain so I'm gonna give Everything a chance. Sober.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I'm not sure what to think of that trailer, Taccy. In many ways, fascinating. In other ways, I can't get my mind past the tumbling bears and lions. LOL

Is this going to be, like, Spore for people without a sense of humor?

Haha, what the hell

'Was that a waterbear? Gobackgoback!'

'I am pine needle'

---

I need to view more of this, but that... that has... I'm intrigued

I'm not sure what to think of that trailer, Taccy. In many ways, fascinating. In other ways, I can't get my mind past the tumbling bears and lions. LOL

Is this going to be, like, Spore for people without a sense of humor?
Think ABZU or Journey made by an artist and not a game designer. I've not started it yet but it wouldn't surprise me if he's laughing at those who try and over-analyse it.