Question about the plot to Now You See Me (2013)

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
SPOILER

In the movie, magicians are putting on a show, and for their last magic trick for the night, they decide to rob a bank. They ask anyone in the audience if they manage a bank, and a lot of audience members put up their hands, since it's a big show. They pick one of them to come up on stage, tell the name of the bank, and then say they are going to rob it.

The then actually rob his bank. and they show it being done on the giant TV screen on the stage, for all the audience to see. They show the money in the vault on the TV disappear from his bank, and then re-appear on the stage, and falls for all the audience members to collect.

Afterwards the police investigate but they say they cannot prosecute the magicians because they did not know how they did it. But this is the part of the movie I had trouble making sense of, cause they have all this other overwhelming evidence. The magicians not only confessed to robbing the bank on stage, but they actually showed the money disappear from the vault on tv, and have it reappear, on their stage for everyone to collect.

That may not be enough on their own, but the court can subpoena all of the witnesses at the show to testify to what they show and to turn over the evidence that they collected, and the serial numbers on the money will match those of the records at the bank.

Plus the bank manager will testify to seeing his own money disappearing from the bank. So why didn't the police just do that to build a case, instead of... not doing anything at all?

SPOILER

In the movie, magicians are putting on a show, and for their last magic trick for the night, they decide to rob a bank. They ask anyone in the audience if they manage a bank, and a lot of audience members put up their hands, since it's a big show. They pick one of them to come up on stage, tell the name of the bank, and then say they are going to rob it.

The then actually rob his bank. and they show it being done on the giant TV screen on the stage, for all the audience to see. They show the money in the vault on the TV disappear from his bank, and then re-appear on the stage, and falls for all the audience members to collect.

Afterwards the police investigate but they say they cannot prosecute the magicians because they did not know how they did it. But this is the part of the movie I had trouble making sense of, cause they have all this other overwhelming evidence. The magicians not only confessed to robbing the bank on stage, but they actually showed the money disappear from the vault on tv, and have it reappear, on their stage for everyone to collect.

That may not be enough on their own, but the court can subpoena all of the witnesses at the show to testify to what they show and to turn over the evidence that they collected, and the serial numbers on the money will match those of the records at the bank.

Plus the bank manager will testify to seeing his own money disappearing from the bank. So why didn't the police just do that to build a case, instead of... not doing anything at all?
I would imagine because they'd be laughed out of court. How could they have robbed a Paris bank live on stage in New York?

The Bib-iest of Nickels
You're overthinking it. Now You See Me is a dumb film, even dumber is its sequel.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I would imagine because they'd be laughed out of court. How could they have robbed a Paris bank live on stage in New York?
It doesn't matter HOW they did it though. The court already has proof that they did. They could not prove HOW, but they can prove that the money has disappeared from one place, and then re-appeared in another, and they can prove that with the serial numbers and everything, combined with the evidence of all the witnesses seeing it happen on screen, combined with the magician's confession, and the bank manager's testimony,

So they wouldn't have to prove HOW, since they already have the money as proof, and witnesses as proof, as well as the admission of guilt. So they have the who, what, where, and when already and that is enough evidence to have a case, and do not need the HOW exactly, it was done, as long as you have the other evidence.