Swan's 2017 Movie Adventures

→ in
Tools    

The Sixth Sense is definitely a horror film. Always like when you seem to reevaluate a movie after not seeing it for a while and end up loving it, seems to happen quite a bit with you. I don't love any of M Nights films but i enjoy The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs and The Village. The only other one i've seen is The Happening which was indeed awful. I don't think he's great personally but i also don't mind him that much.

I rewatched the Scott Walker doc with my dad, same rating.

Also showed Pieces to my buddy. So good.

Leprechaun -

(Mark Jones, 1993)

[REWATCH]

Last time I watched this, I failed to get engaged with it, and thus didn't give it as good a rating as I am now. I had a lot of fun watching it today. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

this movie is trash... you're right but I don't know why you don't like The Conjuring movies they are awesome
You can call it awesome to be sure, but when I heard someone saying Conjuring scary... I ROFL'ed.
IMO Conjuring (2013) is better.

@Swan

Are you planning on watching We Are the Flesh? I haven't seen it yet, but have been looking forward to it for a while. It's getting mixed reviews, with some people deeming it too disgusting, ha. We'll see.

@Swan

Are you planning on watching We Are the Flesh? I haven't seen it yet, but have been looking forward to it for a while. It's getting mixed reviews, with some people deeming it too disgusting, ha. We'll see.
Yes! It's been on my radar since I found out about it a while back. Mixed reviews means it's probably awesome.

Yes! It's been on my radar since I found out about it a while back. Mixed reviews means it's probably awesome.
I'll be awaiting that review.

The Sixth Sense is definitely a horror film. Always like when you seem to reevaluate a movie after not seeing it for a while and end up loving it, seems to happen quite a bit with you. I don't love any of M Nights films but i enjoy The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs and The Village. The only other one i've seen is The Happening which was indeed awful. I don't think he's great personally but i also don't mind him that much.
I liked The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, The Village, and Lady in the Water, but I thought Signs was a bit weak and I haven't watched his other films.

I remember being really surprised to hear people talk about The Sixth Sense as a horror, as it didn't strike me as such at all.
I'm inclined to agree with Swan and Camo, that it is a horror film. It has genuinely frightening atmosphere and some jump scares.

Logan -
+
(James Mangold, 2017)

Best.

Superhero.

Movie.

EVER.
Hmm... well it was certainly the best X-Men movie... but I'd have to say Watchmen, Super, Spider Man (2002), and Mystery Men were much better in my opinion. Logan had a lot of cheesy moments that actually made me burst out laughing in the theater. Especially the terminator part with X-24 where the black guy comes back from the dead. And the music goes nuts with X-23 screaming in the background and then... nothing happens. It was so dramatic and then they just cut to the next scene.

The Eyes of My Mother -

(Nicolas Pesce, 2016)

[REWATCH]

I guess I can say some stuff about this, this time. It hits all the right notes for me. In my opinion this film is straight up a nightmare. A lot of it doesn’t make much logical sense, which I feel is intentional. I love a visceral experience when I go to the cinema. It’s why I love horror, and why I love this film.

It’s brutality is strange and not visual but atmospheric. The darkest, most disturbing part is barely shown, and takes less than a second of time on screen. But the image has stuck with me since my first viewing.

One of my favorite things about it is the ambiguity of a lot of it. You get the sense while watching this film that there is more sinister stuff going on that is not shown. They never even hint at it, but that sense is there. It’s felt. This is a mood piece, an exercise in atmosphere. And it’s a great one.

Shout-out to Kika Magalhaes, who gave the most underrated performance of last year in my opinion. She was stunning in this and didn’t get much mention for it at all. In fact, she only recently got her first award ever, and it wasn’t for this film. I hope to see her in more stuff, because based on this one, she’s an excellent actress.

Unregistered User
The Eyes of My Mother -

(Nicolas Pesce, 2016)

[REWATCH]

I guess I can say some stuff about this, this time. It hits all the right notes for me. In my opinion this film is straight up a nightmare. A lot of it doesn’t make much logical sense, which I feel is intentional. I love a visceral experience when I go to the cinema. It’s why I love horror, and why I love this film.

It’s brutality is strange and not visual but atmospheric. The darkest, most disturbing part is barely shown, and takes less than a second of time on screen. But the image has stuck with me since my first viewing.

One of my favorite things about it is the ambiguity of a lot of it. You get the sense while watching this film that there is more sinister stuff going on that is not shown. They never even hint at it, but that sense is there. It’s felt. This is a mood piece, an exercise in atmosphere. And it’s a great one.

Shout-out to Kika Magalhaes, who gave the most underrated performance of last year in my opinion. She was stunning in this and didn’t get much mention for it at all. In fact, she only recently got her first award ever, and it wasn’t for this film. I hope to see her in more stuff, because based on this one, she’s an excellent actress.

I knew you'd love this and I'm so glad you did. Definitely one of the best horrors out for a while. Cant wait to watch it again.

Them -
+
(David Moreau & Xavier Palud, 2006)

[NEW WATCH]

It pains me a hell of a lot to report that this was a pretty big disappointment. Not because it was bad necessarily - for the most part, it was pretty decently executed and definitely has some artistic merit. However, when it was over I thought to myself "...okay? Is that it?" I had to go re-read what Redwell wrote about it with the hope to discover the secret, because I was perplexed, completely unsure what the directors were trying to do with this film. I think it's awesome Redwell had a great experience with this - seriously, dude, exhilarating horror movies are my favorite kind of experiences so when someone says their heart was genuinely racing from a movie, well, I want to see that movie. Considering that and the fact that I very much appreciate Redwell's taste in cinema (still do), I picked it up right away.

Unfortunately, I had the opposite reaction throughout the film. It was very slow to me, but I held hope that it would pick up and something exciting would happen, be it a thrilling final 10-20 minutes or a twist that would change my entire perspective. None of that happened.

I think the best thing I can say about this was that the final 3 or 4 shots were pretty great. As a whole, though, this movie just did not click with me. Maybe one day I will come back to it and be blown away, and I hope that happens - I did not think this was bad and I have come back to movies I haven't been crazy about with a newfound appreciation before. But for a first viewing, it all felt pretty dull to me.

Sorry Redwell my dude. Would love to hear some more thoughts you have about the film, if you're willing - maybe you can help me appreciate it a little more.

This is a mood piece, an exercise in atmosphere. And it’s a great one.
Agreed. The Eyes of My Mother had a very uncomfortable feeling underlying the entire film, so you know something is off from the very start. I think it works really well.

Nekromantik 2 -
+
(Jörg Buttgereit, 1991)

[NEW WATCH]

Granted I haven't watched the original in a long time, I still feel like I like this one slightly more - and I really like the original. But I do think this is a bit better, more artistic, more intimate and personal. My favorite thing about Buttgereit's films is that he doesn't demonize his characters or the subject matter, nor does he glorify them necessary, but just provides a certain level of heart, an understanding that might be hard to explain without watching his work. It has a great ending too.

Power Rangers -

(Dean Israelite, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

This was awful and full of cliches, and felt strangely of a different time - the early 2000's. That said, there was one moment near the end I completely geeked out over, that gave me a huge smile all the way home. That one moment was so absolutely incredible, it rewards the film an extra star (or in this case, popcorn box) from me. And I wish the movie had more of the playful energy of that moment.

I was disappointed in the first Nekromantik so I haven't watched the sequel. You should check out the director's Schramm. It's just over an hour long.

Raw -
+
(Julia Ducournau, 2016)

[NEW WATCH]

I was a bit perplexed by this one, but I really admired it overall. Often with movies I will fall in love on repeated viewings, and I have a feeling this will be one of those films. I can only see my rating for it going up.

Best Worst Movie -

(Michael Stephenson, 2009)

[NEW WATCH]

Definitely a good, touching documentary about the aftermath of Troll 2, but I think my friends and I were expecting it to be as fun as the actual movie. Which is really an impossible thing to accomplish, so I can't really fault it. But it did damper the viewing at least for me. Still liked it, and Hardy seems like a very good guy. I also loved the director's philosophy that "bad" films are just as significant as "good" films because they both can make a great impression on you. Troll 2 is an awesome example of that - it might not be as technically competent as some other movies I love, but I love it just as much because of the impression it left on me, and the experiences I have had watching it. And if a movie like Troll 2 can deliver one of the most enjoyable viewing experiences of my life, well, how can I ignore that?