Matt Dillon

Tools    

I never really cared much for Matt, but he did have a few good movies. Drugstore Cowboy and Rumble Fish come to mind. Can anyone recommend a movie with him in it at least as a co star? My friend loves him as an actor and I just do not see it. I will say that I have not seen a lot of his movies though.

Here is a list of his movies.

Loverboy (2004)
Crash (2004) .... Ryan
Employee of the Month (2004) .... David Walsh
City of Ghosts (2002) .... Jimmy
Deuces Wild (2002) .... Fritzy
... aka Deuces Wild - Wild in den Straßen (2002) (Germany)
One Night at McCool's (2001) .... Randy
Madonna: The Video Collection 93:99 (1999) (V) (uncredited) .... Cop ('Bad Girl')
There's Something About Mary (1998) .... Pat Healy
... aka There's Something More About Mary (1998) (USA: DVD title)
Wild Things (1998) .... Sam Lombardo
... aka wildthings (1998) (USA: video box title)
In & Out (1997) .... Cameron Drake
Albino Alligator (1996) .... Dova
... aka Albino Alligator (1996) (France)
Grace of My Heart (1996) .... Jay Phillips
Beautiful Girls (1996) .... Tommy 'Birdman' Rowland
Frankie Starlight (1995) .... Terry Klout
To Die For (1995) .... Larry Maretto
Golden Gate (1994/I) .... Kevin Walker
Mr. Wonderful (1993) .... Gus
Saint of Fort Washington, The (1993) .... Matthew
Malcolm X (1992) .... DJ at the Harlem 'Y' Dance
... aka X (1992) (USA: poster title)
Singles (1992) .... Cliff Poncier (Citizen Dick vocalist)
Women & Men 2: In Love There Are No Rules (1991) (TV) .... Eddie Megeffin
... aka Art of Seduction, The (1991) (TV) (UK: DVD box title)
... aka Women & Men 2 (1991) (TV)
Kiss Before Dying, A (1991) .... Jonathan Corliss
Bloodhounds of Broadway (1989) .... Regret
Drugstore Cowboy (1989) .... Bob
Kansas (1988) .... Doyle Kennedy
Big Town, The (1987) .... J.C. Cullen
Native Son (1986) .... Jan
Rebel (1985) .... Rebel
Target (1985/I) .... Chris Lloyd/Derek Potter
Flamingo Kid, The (1984) .... Jeffrey Willis
Rumble Fish (1983) .... Rusty James
Outsiders, The (1983) .... Dallas 'Dally' Winston
Tex (1982) .... Tex McCormick
Great American Fourth of July and Other Disasters, The (1982) (TV) .... Ralph
Liar's Moon (1981) .... Jack Duncan
My Bodyguard (1980) .... Melvin Moody
Little Darlings (1980) .... Randy
Over the Edge (1979) .... Richie

To Die For is a great movie, and also holds one of Nicole Kidman's very best performances. I really loved City of Ghosts, which Dillon starred in and also made his directorial debut (it's a strong one). From early in his career, The Flamingo Kid is a sweet and funny coming-of-age flick, and My Bodyguard is a fantastic off-beat coming-of-ager too, and Dillon plays the bad guy.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Okay, I have seen quite a few of the suggestions here and I must say that I tend to enjoy his work in his younger years over recent works. City of Ghosts is a great movie, but other than that his newest movies seem to be a little weak, in comparison anyway. One of my favorites suggested earlier, My Bodyguard, is really a fun movie. Whatever happened to Chris Makepeace anyway? I do not recall him doing much of anything else. I see from IMDB that he has done some things, but is any of it something I should see? Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Apart from Meatballs and My Bodyguard, Chris Makepeace never did anything of note, other than a very minor supporting role in The Falcon & the Snowman (which is a great movie, with terrific work by Timothy Hutton and Sean Penn). Captive Hearts is a nice little movie, but good luck finding it. Anyway he never made that tricky transition from teenage actor to adult actor.

One curio that isn't a very good movie overall but may be worth a rental anyway is Vamp (1986). It's a not terribly memorable vampire flick that wanted to be gory with tongue-in-cheek dark humor like An American Werewolf in London and Fright Night. It doesn't succeed, hindered by starring Grace Jones in her fourteenth minute of fame, but the R1 DVD is worth a rental for the audio commentary track alone, which features Makepeace and his co-stars Deedee Pfeiffer (yes, Michelle's little sister) and Gedde Wantanabe (Long Duk Dong from Sixteen Candles) plus the writer/director Richard Wenk. They get drunk and have a Hell of a fun time telling stories and ripping the film apart.

In my opinion, though I haven't seen City of Ghosts, is that Drugstore Cowboy is his best performance.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

"I can't help it..."
Yeh, The Flamingo Kid is quite entertaining - nice little film, that.
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

I really haven't seen many of his films, though I did enjoy him in There's Something About Mary.

Pat Healy: I work with retards.
Mary: Isn't that a little politically incorrect?
Pat Healy: Yeah, maybe, but hell, no one's gonna tell me who I can and can't work with.

My Top 100 favorite movies.