Predictions contest winner

Tools    

Hey, guys!... I've never posted here, but I just won the predictions contest and I figured it was somehow my duty to make at least one post here, so as they don't have to send the DVD to somebody who's never made a single post. (Unless this was a US-only contest - I forgot to check beforehand -, in which case it won't be a problem...)

My name is Claudiu, I'm from Romania, and I spend most of my time during awards season at Awards Daily. I used to be IMDb-based (since roughly 2005), but those boards are now closed... I do go to the place most of those guys moved to sometimes, still.

In the contest, I got 21/24 right. I had Three Billboards for picture and screenplay and Faces Places for documentary (with the actual winners all, obviously, super-close, and the main alternates). Those are the only ones I got wrong. Which is weird, because I usually do much better in the above the line categories, not the tech categories. 90% of my predictions, in all categories, were stats-based (that's my thing), and I even used some stats for the shorts (where I'm very proud to have picked 3/3 right), like the 40' rule for doc short, some title and theme-related stats for live action, and a length-based stat for animated. The Silent Child and Heaven is a Traffic Jam on the 405 weren't the pundits' or bookies' favorites, and I picked them for various stats and voting pattern reasons. (I also loved the latter, as did most of the people I've talked to about it. I didn't see any of the live action shorts - I only saw trailers there.) In animated, I didn't like the winner too much, and it wasn't my main prediction, but I decided to go with it in this contest because too many of the pundits were predicting it and, unlike in the other two shorts categories, I didn't have strong enough statistical or intuition-related reasons to go for LOU, the only other one I thought could win... Since there weren't many upsets, the shorts probably decided the outcome in my favor, hence the details. I usually do well in the shorts categories (I average 2/3), but I really didn't expect to this year, given that I was predicting 2-3 that weren't the favorites, and the stats only narrowed things down this time around, but didn't give a clear winner in any of the three categories.

I'm not very happy about The Shape of Water winning Best Picture - it's my least favorite of the nominees, and my least favorite winner since Argo. My favorite was really a tie between Dunkirk and Get Out, with The Post close behind. My favorite of the year overall was The Big Sick, with War for the Planet of the Apes close behind. That's about it... I hope y'all won't be mad I entered the contest despite not being an active poster!...

Cheers!

P.S.: No, I am not Hannah Murray. That's just my avatar. I'm male.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Grats!! and yay for a first-time post! That's one helluva way to make an entry to the forums I agree with Mss Vicky. Stick around, hang out, and chat.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Hi Claudiu and congratulations. As the others said, stick around.

Why don't you stick around and actually be an active member?
I might. I'm not even active on Awards Daily outside the confines of the actual awards season, so roughly October to March. But I might come around here next fall, and make some posts. Absolutely!...

Appreciate you posting this! Nice to get to know the winner at least a little bit. And yes, I hope you stick around, too.

Good job on the picks.
Thanks!