The MoFo Top 100 Westerns: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was my #13.

I love the Coens and while this isn’t as great as their masterpieces it’s still a fun movie made with the usual skill and thematic elements you expect from them.

Welcome to the human race...
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was my #20. I didn't really expect it to crack the list, much less this high - seemed like people were a little underwhelmed by it if anything but I guess recency bias and the fact that it's the Coens carried it over the line. Also the fact that it's actually pretty good. Check me if I'm wrong, but is it the first anthology film to crack the list?

Still haven't seen The Great Silence, but it certainly sounds like I'm missing out.

I wanted to love The Great Silence but simply thought it was fine. I probably need to see a better transfer at some point. I was all excited for that snow to pop, and it was rather drab.

Of course Buster Scruggs was on my list because I'm a fanboy. Going in I only knew the Coens had made another Western, I didn't know it was an anthology. That made the first part really fun to watch the first time. I like every chapter on some level but the first and the last were my faves.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
For MoFos that have watched this, please don't spoil it.

Once again two I’ve seen! The Great Silence JUST missed my list, but Ballad snuck in at #23.

Seen: 16/68
- Slow West (#95)
- The Big Gundown (#85)
- The Furies (#84)
- The Shooting (#71)
- The Grey Fox (#66)
- The Great Train Robbery (#60)
- Meek’s Cutoff (#58)
- Red River (#56)
- Bone Tomahawk (#54)
- The Cowboys (#50)
- Rango (#41)
- The Gunfighter (#40)
- Open Range (#36)
- Hell or High Water (#35)
- The Great Silence (#34)
- The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (#33)

My list:
14. Hell or High Water
19. Red River
20. The Gunfighter
21. Bone Tomahawk
23. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Would love to see The Great Silence but I'm still searching for a somewhat acceptable copy of it. It looks exactly like my cup of tea.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was my #19. Like many Mofos, I'm a big Coen Brothers fan, but this one is truly one of my favorites of their last few films. After my first time watching it, I especially loved the third, fourth and fifth story, but ultimately I think all six of the tales are very amusing or enriching to sit through. Good stuff!

Films from my list that already appeared:

4) Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973)
7) Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)
16) Jeremiah Johnson (1972)
18) The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970)
19) The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018)
23) My Darling Clementine (1946)
24) Little Big Man (1970)
25) Buffalo Bill and the Indians, or Sitting Bull's History Lesson (1976) - One Pointer

I watched The Ballad of Buster Scruggs thanks to a recommendation from @ahwell I wasn't sure I'd like it, but guess what? I did!

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Coen Brothers, 2018)

Very impressive movie! The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is composed of six different western stories, all of them tied together by one theme: the violence of the old west....With it's ironicisms the film reminded me of the 1980s TV show Tales From the Darkside, a show I use to love. As one would expect from a Coen's film it's well written, clever & intelligently handled with great attention to details. A big plus there's some really beautiful shooting locations...All done up with a slight twist and the Coen's flair for uniqueness.

+

I've seen The Great Silence, it's a good spaghetti western. The problem is I don't care for the wacky comedy & ultra close ups of those pasta dishes.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
True Grit was my #19. I watched the remake first, but I thought both were solid films. I imagine the remake will show up higher up on here.

I haven't seen The Great Silence but it looks good.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was my #9. I wasn't especially bothered about seeing it, I'm not any kind of Coen worshipper, I only watched it because it was there on Netflix, but I really liked it. Not the first segment so much, but the third and fifth segments particularly grabbed me and I found they lingered in my mind; beautifully filmed, tragic with a dark, ironic kind of humour.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was my #22. The six stories look at various western themes and elements and they range from comedic absurdity to bleak fatalism, while the order of the six stories (a couple no more than vignettes) forms its own thematic arc. I didn't figure this to crack the top 50, so this is a nice surprise.

My List:

6. Little Big Man (#39)
7. Jeremiah Johnson (#37)
10. The Shootist (#58)
13. The Gunfighter (#40)
15. 3:10 to Yuma (#48)
18. The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean (#76)
19. The Naked Spur (#86)
20. Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (#67)
22. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (#33)
24. Support Your Local Sheriff! (#89)

I have entirely too much to do tomorrow so here are Friday's reveals as well...
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

One-Eyed Jacks, the only movie Marlon Brando ever directed, is an odd and beautiful bridging between Old Hollywood production values and New Hollywood acting sensibilities. Based on a novel that was a sort of riff on the Billy the Kid story it was originally scripted by Sam Peckinpah and to be directed by Stanley Kubrick, who had just finished Spartacus. Only two weeks before shooting was to begin Kubrick abruptly left the project and for his self-imposed expatriation to England. Rather than work with anyone else Brando decided he had a vision for the picture and officially took over, re-working the script with Guy Trosper, and ultimately relying on some improvisation with the other actors. Shot partially on location in Monterey, California it has some stunning cinematography coupled with some psychologically intense performances, not just by Brando himself but by Karl Malden, Katy Jurado, Ben Johnson, and Slim Pickens too, with colorful support from Elisha Cook Jr. and Timothy Carey, both veterans of earlier Kubrick pictures. Brando and Malden are partners who rob a Mexican bank, but Brando’s Rio gets left behind during the getaway. After finally getting out of prison he tracks the man who betrayed him, all the way up the coast where he is now installed as the town sheriff with a wife and adopted daughter. When Rio finds him, rather than immediately shoot it out they begin a tense game of trying to determine how much the other knows about the betrayal, and in the process Rio falls in love with the daughter (Pina Pellicer). One-Eyed Jacks was on a dozen ballots with a third, a fifth, a sixth, two seventh, an eighth, and a ninth place.

After taking over fifty spots on the countdown to move from the introductory 35 points and get to 100, 200 is reached very quickly in only fifteen moves.

Clint Eastwood’s second film as a director (following Play Misty for Me) and his first in the genre that made him a star, High Plains Drifter is more akin to the Spaghettis in violence and style, though with an added seemingly supernatural element that makes the picture unique and unforgettable. The town of Lago, built wonderfully on the shores of Mono Lake, California, is burdened by a collective sin. That sin has brought an avenging angel in the form of a nameless figure (Eastwood) who rides in and pretty much takes the place over. The townspeople are on edge because three outlaws (Geoffrey Lewis, Anthony James, and Dan Vadis) who killed the previous sheriff are about to be released from prison. Desperately they turn to the menacing stranger for protection who instructs them to literally paint the town red as he renames it HELL. A weird and satisfying picture, High Plains Drifter was on fifteen ballots including two tenth, two seventh, a sixth, two fifth, and a fourth place vote.

The Sons of Katie Elder, North to Alaska, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, The Shootist, Red River, The Cowboys,
El Dorado, True Grit, Two Mules for Sister Sara, Pale Rider
, and High Plains Drifter

And the hits just keep on coming.

One-Eyed Jacks is such a strange movie. I had heard about it and its Kubrick connection long before I actually watched it. I bought it on LaserDisc and settled in. After the first viewing I thought it was almost laughably awful…but I also couldn’t get it out of my head. A few days later I watched it again. This time I thought there was a little something to it, not a total distaster, but I wasn’t sure what. And it haunted me even more. By about the ninth or tenth time through I was sure it is some kind of frickin’ masterpiece. The emotions and landscape are dynamic, but the pacing is like something out of a prolonged fever dream. The revenge through line is simple, but the almost Freudian shadings to the characters are powerfully bizarre and the images are striking. Brando went over time and budget, reportedly waiting hours for things like capturing the Pacific waves crashing just the way he wanted. The rights reverted to the public domain for decades, leading to the film being very widely available but in an ever-deteriorating presentation. It got a beautiful 4K digital restoration, consulting with Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg, and that is the gorgeous version that was released by the Criterion Collection here in the U.S. If you have only seen it on television or video definitely seek out this restoration.

Brando’s singular One-Eyed Jacks was twenty-first on my ballot, the twelfth of my choices to make the cut.

HOLDEN PIKE'S LIST
5. Little Big Man (#38)
7. The Ballad of Cable Hogue (#83)
10. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (#52)
12. The Great Silence (#34)
13. My Name is Nobody (#79)
14. The Grey Fox (#66)
16. Hombre (#88)
18. Pursued (#73)
19. Jeremiah Johnson (#37)
21. One-Eyed Jacks (#32)
23. The Professionals (#45)
25. Support Your Local Sheriff! (#89)