The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame II

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Jackie Brown

A woman with not much going for her attempts to perform a heist that could cost her everything if failed

I see that some people consider this to be an outlier in Tarantino’s career. How can that be though? It has engaging dialogue, a long runtime that flies by, a groovy soundtrack and clear homage to films that he loves. The only two reasons I can really see is that there’s very little violence and the plot is, for the most part, linear. I know a few people who say it’s their favourite Tarantino for these reasons. While I wouldn’t call it my favourite, I can’t blame them.

This film really takes its time; Most of the film is character interactions and the heist doesn’t happen until near the end of the film. I quite like this style, not everything has to be about samurai sword fights and warehouse shootouts. I was already familiar with this type of Tarantino film when I saw ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’, but of course this was the first time I’d say he used it. For a dialogue heavy film the dialogue is very well written and expresses the personalities of the characters well. Of course the dialogue has that standard Tarantino flair of talking about a random topic that has nothing to do with the plot but is interesting nonetheless (coughing's good, it gets you higher). The use of soul music for the soundtrack gives it a very fresh and cool mood. Even though it's a heist film that doesn't focus too much on the planning or the heist itself, these parts are very well done; they manage to be intense and really funny at the same time.

Not Tarantino’s best film but certainly a great one. Thanks to whoever picked it (even if I did see it before I knew it had been picked last night!)

People consider it an outlier because it's his one and only adaptation. Everything else he has written is original. So it has another writer's "feel" to it as much as it is his own.

People consider it an outlier because it's his one and only adaptation. Everything else he has written is original. So it has another writer's "feel" to it as much as it is his own.
I did not know that.

How do you feel about your nominations this time? At least they're not a bunch of four hour movies this time.

The trick is not minding
Perhaps because it’s an adaptation, but I consider Jackie Brown his best film and his most restrained film. His other films he tends to go overboard with the dialogue.

The Conversation - Been wanting to watch this for awhile. Good pick.

Deliverance - My Burt Reynolds experience has been Boogie Nights and Stripease...I hope this is just as, if not more sexy.

Double Indemnity - Own this, never watched it. Will finally unwrap it from the plastic. Looking forward to it.

Downfall - I hope the internet has not ruined this movie for me.

The Elephant Man - I'm sure this will be one of those movies where I was never interested in it, but then it blows me away.

Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - I think this might be the surprise "overrated" picture of the bunch. I tried watching it once and turned it off. It "feels" up my alley, but who knows.

Ghost World - Another film I've been meaning to watch, will finally get the chance.

The Hustler - Looks like a fun watch.

The Killing - YET ANOTHER movie I've been meaning to watch. Excited for it.

The Maltese Falcon - Another film I own and have yet to open and watch. Gonna get good use out of my dvds for once.

Persona - Maybe the first one I'll watch to finish off October.

Suspect's Reviews

Perhaps because it’s an adaptation, but I consider Jackie Brown his best film and his most restrained film. His other films he tends to go overboard with the dialogue.
Most restrained for sure and that's why people consider it his best / worst movie. Ha, both sides of the spectrum.

The trick is not minding
Most restrained for sure and that's why people consider it his best / worst movie. Ha, both sides of the spectrum.
Yeah, and would probably put Pulp Giftoon at 2 followed by Inglorious Basterds. I’ve enjoyed most of his work

The trick is not minding
Ok, since I’ve been eyeing Let the Right One In on Hulu since FOREVER, I’m going to start with it this Friday.
Coincidentally, it’ll fill out my Vampire slot on the Halloween challenge.
Then it’s off to the local rental to check out a few films.
Bambi and The Innocents for sure. Hoping they have Dial M for Murder as well.

The trick is not minding
Side Note:
Jack Clayton (director of The Innocents) hasn’t exactly won me over with his first two films I’ve seen so far.
The Pumpkin Eater and Room at the Top. I found both rather mediocre, to be honest. I have The Great Gatsby (1974) saved on Amazon to view as well. *
I’m hoping this “psychological horror” film is better.

I'll probably start with Blue Velvet either tonight or tomorrow to get it over with, then I'll probably squeeze in An American Werewolf in London this weekend since it's almost Halloween.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Jackie Brown is adapted from Elmore Leonard's Rum Punch. Huge fan of Leonard's writing prose and Tarantino did a fine adaption of it. I'm sure Tarantino fell in love with both the dialogue and the characters as well as the way Elmore writes. So much so that he didn't throw any of his own twists and violent turns.

I'll probably start with Blue Velvet either tonight or tomorrow to get it over with, then I'll probably squeeze in An American Werewolf in London this weekend since it's almost Halloween.
I know you prefer vampires over werewolves so I'll be pretty curious to see how ya feel about that one, along with if Blue Velvet works for you or not.

I'll be starting off with Ace in the Hole and may, or may not, go right down the row.

Side Note:
Jack Clayton (director of The Innocents) hasn’t exactly won me over with his first two films I’ve seen so far.
The Pumpkin Eater and Room at the Top. I found both rather mediocre, to be honest. I have The Great Gatsby (1974) saved on Amazon to view as well. *
I’m hoping this “psychological horror” film is better.
If it helps it DID win the 17th General Hall of Fame

The Conversation - Been wanting to watch this for awhile. Good pick.
A 2nd person tried nominating it for you.

Deliverance - My Burt Reynolds experience has been Boogie Nights and Stripease...I hope this is just as, if not more sexy.
Well I guess it depends on what you like

planet of the apes

was considering watching this last night before it was even nominated for me so i'm glad to have finally seen it. was never in a hurry to get to this one because i've seen it referenced so many times that i felt as if i'd seen it already, but it was still thrilling to see the original. this film is very much just a dramatized thought experiment ("what if... there was a planet... of the apes???"), which can be a bad thing, but when it's this grand and cinematic, it can be a wonderful thing. especially if it involves charlton heston going crazy on some apes in an epic sci-fi metaphor about the evils of humanity and how systems of oppression and cruelty are reproduced. i usually try not to let knowing the twist in advance affect my perception of a movie, but it's a bit harder with this one simply because it's so integral to the premise of the film and in retrospect it feels extremely obvious, but i'm sure i would've been surprised at the time. regardless, the cold matter-of-factness of the final shot is still incredibly powerful. not much else to say about this one that hasn't been said. it's about a freaking planet of the apes, what's not to like?

criticker

I find Planet of the Apes incredibly cheesy and ridiculous. But that's also what I've always loved about it.

Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!